Petrol or Diesel

Old May 24th 2014, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

LozBeth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Petrol or Diesel

Hi just after advice whether to go petrol or diesel on a vehicle. I've got the OH looking for a people carrier (7 seater) and he's been looking at petrol.

Is Diesel more economical? Can you barter the same way we do at home?

After a people carrier as i'm being optimistic that family / friends will come visit us lol, my OH thinks i'm mad - we're a family of almost four

Pregnancy hormones in full swing!!
Old May 24th 2014, 9:09 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Petrol or Diesel

you have to of owned a car for "not less than 12 months" or you may well pay some customs on it
http://www.customs.govt.nz/news/reso...Sheet%2029.pdf

As for diesel as it has no execise tax you have to buy Road User Charges (RUC) which you can do on line or at AA shop

http://www.aa.co.nz/cars/licensing-s...r-charges-ruc/

Last edited by MrsFychan; May 24th 2014 at 9:12 pm.
Old May 25th 2014, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

hubby is right, I would say thats a daft reason for buying one.
people carriers weigh a ton so not always great on gas, get a diesel they give better mpg but you have
to pay a ruc which is about $50 per 1000km and you get nailed if you get caught with a vehicle that hasnt got up to date ruc
Old May 25th 2014, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Thanks both

He's over in NZ now so looking to buy there. Perhaps the people carrier is excessive.....Just thinking about double prams, two baby car seats ec too.

Any suggestions?

RUC is slightly off putting, but I do expect mileage to be high so I'll have to work it out.
Old May 25th 2014, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Diesel is about 20% cheaper to run but I wouldn,t bother unless you are doing over 20,000 K a year

neil
Old May 25th 2014, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

marooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud of

Family of four - had a people carrier - only a 2.2 engine (diesel) so not too greedy on fuel and went all over NZ no problem, up all the mountains etc fully laden. Also great for kids, kids friends, like you say when family come over its good to be able to go on trips altogether, another thing if the seats fold down (ours did - I assume they all do?) it was great for getting the bikes in too. All in all I'm a convert and wd definitely buy one again. Ours was diesel but with prices the way they are in NZ it seemed v v cheap to run even with the RUC
Old May 25th 2014, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Great thanks Marooned I've asked my OH to carry on looking at the people carriers and to check on the fold down seats, good shout.

I just think long term it makes sense as there is so much stuff to lug about with kids and I like the idea of visitors being able to join us on road trips. I won't want to waste a minute of their company as I know how much I'll be missing them

We hired a diesel camper van when we toured NZ a couple of years back and I don't recall it being particularly expensive, although having said that the RUC didn't affect us. We intend to d a lot of travelling so all in all diesel may still be the way to go.

Any recommendation on models?