Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Perth VS New Zealand

Perth VS New Zealand

Old Aug 11th 2003, 6:42 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pommie bastard
True turning up and taking a goverment pay check is better than staving as long as it lasts.
And it's certainly better than delivering dole checks and junk mail on a horrible council estate at 7 in the morning like I used to do. And getting my scrotum bitten open by semi feral dogs.

Give my UWA any day.

Plus with all the tax I'm paying on the rent from my UK property I'm effectively paying myself.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 6:46 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by renth
And it's certainly better than delivering dole checks and junk mail on a horrible council estate at 7 in the morning like I used to do. And getting my scrotum bitten open by semi feral dogs.

Give my UWA any day.

Plus with all the tax I'm paying on the rent from my UK property I'm effectively paying myself.
Watch it Pal you begining to sound like a failed Pom whos looking for a bolt hole and found it with a goverment arm chair , just you watch out that you do not become too soft , the times are a changing and IT in WA state jobs is being subbed out.

Old Aug 11th 2003, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE]Originally posted by renth

Give my UWA any day.

University of WA?

Unemployment WA?

underground drug dealing WA?

Undercover bikie gangs WA?

Perths a long way off you know what is a UWA???
Old Aug 11th 2003, 6:48 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Watch it Pal you begining to sound like a failed Pom whos looking for a bolt hole and found it with a goverment arm chair
It is pretty comfy here

just you watch out that you do not become too soft , the times are a changing and IT in WA state jobs is being subbed out.
I'm not getting soft, I use the subsidised gym here every day. Do you think they might shut the Uni down then?
Old Aug 11th 2003, 6:49 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dotty

Give my UWA any day.

University of WA?

Unemployment WA?

underground drug dealing WA?

Undercover bikie gangs WA?

Perths a long way off you know what is a UWA???

University of Western Australia a rest home for the workless.

Old Aug 11th 2003, 6:51 am
Banned

It is pretty comfy here

I'm not getting soft, I use the subsidised gym here every day. Do you think they might shut the Uni down then?
No but the Admin IT jobs like yours are being put out to contract in other state jobs as they have done in private industry.

Old Aug 11th 2003, 6:54 am
(It's not my real name)

No but the Admin IT jobs like yours are being put out to contract in other state jobs as they have done in private industry.
True, It's happened in the UK and happening here too. I'm not going to worry though. If it happens I'll get one of those mobile pet bathing franchises. Then I'll be "living the dream"
Old Aug 11th 2003, 6:57 am
Banned

True, It's happened in the UK and happening here too. I'm not going to worry though. If it happens I'll get one of those mobile pet bathing franchises. Then I'll be "living the dream"
Not a worry like you say dog washing has its up side some dogs have better manners than some Aussies I know and smell better.

Old Aug 11th 2003, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Re: Perth VS New Zealand

Originally posted by oz-nz donkey
Has anyone else migrated to Perth only to find things didn't work out as expected? We had 2 years there and things went from bad to worse, we have since moved onto New Zealand to find things have turned around for us fantastically.

Don't get me wrong, we liked Perth alot but financially it was a disaster. We had problems getting work and although we had visited before we migrated, we really did not cope with the heat day in and day out in the summer.

Perhaps our expectations were too high?

Wellington, on the other hand, makes us feel that we have at last reached a place we feel happy in. The kids have settled (we had problems in Perth with both children), we both secured jobs within days and it looks as though an offer on a house here is going to go without problems.

I am not running Perth down, had things gone better, perhaps we would still be there, hindsight is a wonderful thing!?
Well done to you for not giving up.
It would have been all too easy for you to have left Perth and come back to the UK. I admire your confidence to go to yet another unkown place and start again there.

If things don't work out for us in Queensland we will move to a different area before coming back. After all if you return, you come back to the same old reasons that made you leave in the first place!

Glad you are enjoying yourselves.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 8:10 am
JWW
Forum Regular

JWW will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by grahamclan
Why turn off the lights when there's 4 million people here.
Like most Australian sayings, they are not worth the paper they are written on.
Lets be honest, Aussies bag everyone, NZ may as well be Tasmania to the average Aussie. I still take the family over there every year though for a good dose of tackiness on the Gold Coast.

Just to put my 2 bob in, while NZ can still snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, things are humming over here at the moment and have been for a while. Jobs are extremely easy to come by in all the major centres and companies appear to be crying out for staff....the company I work for are looking to expand by 40% this year...ironically many of those jobs are coming from OZ via out-sourcing.

Also British people, especially, are sought after as they tend to have a good work ethic. I know a lot of expats doing extremely well at the moment...don't believe the negative hype.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by oz-nz donkey

This is our personal situation only, all I can say is if you move to Oz good luck, give it at least 2 years and if it doesn't work out, try and move on. At least our Aussie visa gave us straight entry into NZ and we gained alot of experience about starting up in a new country. This has paid us great dividends upon arrival in NZ, we have not made the mistakes we did in Perth and you can make plenty whilst in "honeymoon mode!".
I don't want to pry into your personal situation, but would you be willing to tell about the mistakes - in a general sense - that we could all be making. Things that you know now with hindsight it would have been better not to do or vice versa. There are, as you say, things one only knows about afterwards and it would be helpful if somebody who's been there, done that could warn the rest of us about.

Thanks and great to hear you're enjoying NZ and like it there.

Sashimi
Old Aug 11th 2003, 9:22 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

good idea Sashimi!
Glad things are working out for you in NZ. We were going to Perth origionally, but the heat on a day to day basis was one of the reasons we reconsidered! Also the job situation is better for us in Melbourne (hopefully). Good luck with your new, new lives!
Old Aug 11th 2003, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Atticus will become famous soon enough

I would like to add to the sentiments expressed by sashimi and H Garrett.

Glad to hear you are doing well and all the best for the future.

rizalan
Old Aug 11th 2003, 10:18 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JWW
Lets be honest, Aussies bag everyone, NZ may as well be Tasmania to the average Aussie. I still take the family over there every year though for a good dose of tackiness on the Gold Coast.

Just to put my 2 bob in, while NZ can still snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, things are humming over here at the moment and have been for a while. Jobs are extremely easy to come by in all the major centres and companies appear to be crying out for staff....the company I work for are looking to expand by 40% this year...ironically many of those jobs are coming from OZ via out-sourcing.

Also British people, especially, are sought after as they tend to have a good work ethic. I know a lot of expats doing extremely well at the moment...don't believe the negative hype.
Yes - business in NZ seems to have really good prospects, and they are looking forward positively (rather than focusing on the stats from the last 20 years, like some).
The dole queues are getting shorter and shorter (the land of the not so long white dole queue). It has even got to the situation where the Govt is trying by many means to pry the core "long term unemployed and sickness beneficiaries" off the dole, as there is such a supply shortage, especially in the lower paying unskilled jobs.

NZ was once very high up in OECD standings, but this was due to a captive British market for mainly agricultural products. When UK joined the EU, NZ was in effect dumped as a preferred supplier, and has spent the last 25 years trying to find its place in the world. There is a general feeling within the country that it may have done so now. Even the mistakes that were made over the years, are viewed positively by some, as they mean that the country is fairly lean and fit, ready to embrace new opportunities.

Anyway, thankfully NZers do not subscribe to the gloom and doom that Wilf and others would suggest. This is evident to those who visit the country.
Old Aug 11th 2003, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Mildly different tack to the thread.
Mr (or could it be Mrs) Trans-Tasman Donkey,
We were originally thinking of going to Oz, but the weather put us off. Liked the beautiful outdoors that NZ could offer. Fly to Wellington next month. Working in the hospital. Why do you particulalry like Wellington? Any views on good places to reside (within 20 minutes of the centre). Any problems finding rental (we've a dog)?

Cheers,
Roger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.