perth to queenstown

perth to queenstown

Old Oct 5th 2006, 2:37 pm
lbw
Just Joined

lbw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default perth to queenstown

Hello all Im new to this forum.

Weve been living in Perth for 3 yrs now originally from Leicestershire, UK. Hubbie a Kiwi and went ski-ing for the first time last yr in Queenstown and totally fell in love with the place.

I know my hubbie would like to move back there one day for a couple of years and would love to hear of anyone's experiences.

obviously from just going on holiday you get a great buzz from it all and everyone was SOOOOOOOOOO super friendly it was just very overwhelming compared to our arrival in Perth. Whats the community feel about the place? are there lots of ex-pats living over there? schools etc etc.

Sorry for all the questions, but I knew what to expect from Australia (ns) but have no idea about New Zealand.

Look forward to hearing from someone soon.
Lucyx
Old Oct 5th 2006, 9:07 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: perth to queenstown

If you're asking about Queenstown in particular, then it is a bit of a party town (self styled adrenaline capital of the world and all that). Has a fairly transient population on the whole, you might find many of your neighbours are only there for a few weeks per year, and there are always plenty of holiday makers and gap year workers.

Plenty of expats and downsized Aucklanders live there (in NZ Aucklanders are like from a different planet, but the ones in Queenstown are the sensible ones).

Cost of housing is very expensive (because of above rich expats and ex Aucklanders), but in my view its a brilliant place. Skilled jobs are difficult but are possible to come by.

Its hard to comment on friendliness and sense of community. Remember Q'Town is a tourist town so if they are doing their job right then they will show you a lot of hospitality, and it might not be right to form an opinion based on that. However, I will add my personal opinion that NZ as a whole is one of the friendliest places in the world to live, and myself and others on here often comment about the sense of community spirit which prevails, and probably sets NZ apart from almost everywhere else in the western world.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 1:16 am
Arrowotwn - Central Otago

petsar68 will become famous soon enoughpetsar68 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: perth to queenstown

Hi,

We moved out here 7 months ago from the UK as i had a job offer in Queenstown. We are a family of 4 with 2 kids that are 7 & 9. Personally i wouldnt and dont live in QT as its to Holiday orientated. We live in Arrowtown which is about 20k from QT. Much more friendly and mostly locals, the school is superb and so much more laid back than the UK. House prices are horrendous but i am told its safe money. We are currently building which makes it much more affordable but food shopping seems expensive to me.

All in all and truely fantastic place to live and work and we feel very lucky yo be here.
Any other pointers i can give you just ask.