Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The perfect location ?????

The perfect location ?????

Old Apr 20th 2010, 6:00 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The perfect location ?????

Ahhhh I thought it was a discussion of who had the best Indian and Chinese restraunts...Akl or Welly!!! mixed up with where to buy the best oranges...
Old Apr 20th 2010, 6:11 pm

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dewb09
And so another thread that started with a perfectly straight forward question descends into Welly v Auckland playground name calling session

Dewb

Pathetic isn't it Dewb! Heaven forbid there would be an adult debate without nasty unfounded comments! I have never been to Welly personally but am sure its just as lovely as Auckland... oh gosh an open-mind, what a wonderful thing
Old Apr 20th 2010, 7:18 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

And so another thread that started with a perfectly straight forward question descends into Welly v Auckland playground name calling session

Dewb
Yep, the North South divide even exists in New Zealand!

It's all about personal taste and personally, I don't like Welly and I'm not keen on parts of Auckland but I'd rather be here, than the UK.........
Old Apr 20th 2010, 8:31 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flower Pot

Pathetic isn't it Dewb! Heaven forbid there would be an adult debate without nasty unfounded comments! I have never been to Welly personally but am sure its just as lovely as Auckland... oh gosh an open-mind, what a wonderful thing
Been to both and heaven forbid I enjoyed what they both had to offer, each had something . Oh also liked Christchurch, and no am definitely not a fence sitter

Lord know what original poster thinks of how the thread descended

Dewb
Old Apr 20th 2010, 8:37 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sirplug

Dull

It's all about personal taste and personally, I don't like Welly and I'm not keen on parts of Auckland but I'd rather be here, than the UK.........

Absolutley the point but if you do not like something fine but no need for nasty comments Not you though as you always say lovely things
Dewb
Old Apr 21st 2010, 1:48 am
bga
Forum Regular

bga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sirplug
I don't know about that, maybe true, not experienced it, a different opinion may be that wherever you go in the world there will unfortunately, always be, as Peter Kay described Liam Gallagher recently, the occasional "Knobhead"

I may be full of shit (I do live in Auckland after all) but I can live with it.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 6:41 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bga
I don't know about that, maybe true, not experienced it, a different opinion may be that wherever you go in the world there will unfortunately, always be, as Peter Kay described Liam Gallagher recently, the occasional "Knobhead"

I may be full of shit (I do live in Auckland after all) but I can live with it.

But nowadays you don't have to live with it, there's always Epsom salts or senna...

I tried to resist, I really did
Old Apr 21st 2010, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Been to both and heaven forbid I enjoyed what they both had to offer, each had something . Oh also liked Christchurch, and no am definitely not a fence sitter

Lord know what original poster thinks of how the thread descended

Dewb
I am very lucky here in Palmerston North. There is no such divide of any kind here. Its kind of like altered space, another dimension..or maybe the 'untouchable' town. We are neither North nor South....just somewhere unspeakable, unless you are John Cleese..he had lots to say about Palmy. We are a bit of dust and earth just off SH1 that no one goes to (unless you live here or you have been REALLY bad, there is a prison here).

I understand why this place has such a bad name..where is the beach?? Even Hamilton has the 'big' car racing to make up for its non-marine status. I guess avo 5 years I am getting itchy feet. But the kids don't want to move..they love it here. I fancy a change now. Kate has the chance of work on the Hibiscus Coast. I must say I have always shyed away from Auckland cos of the size, but I understand the beauty of the afore mentioned coast is something to behold and is comfortably 45 mins away from the big smoke. Now how can I bribe the kids, more importantly how can I sell 'the box'?
Old Apr 21st 2010, 8:08 am
Just Joined

kevbiff is an unknown quantity at this point

Lord knows what original poster thinks of how the thread descended

Dewb[/QUOTE]

Hey.....don't worry about that, it's all good clean fun !!!!! and in amongst it there is still some good advice/tips/guidance........which is great so thanks again to all
Old Apr 21st 2010, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevbiff
Hey.....don't worry about that, it's all good clean fun !!!!!
Old Apr 21st 2010, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Now how can I bribe the kids, more importantly how can I sell 'the box'?
Do it, Genesiss, it's great up here. And I was brought up in Canterbury so I should definitely be biased towards the south
Old Apr 21st 2010, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Do it, Genesiss, it's great up here. And I was brought up in Canterbury so I should definitely be biased towards the south
I am well up for it..alas Felix does not want to move. So that is pretty much it I am afraid. All for the greater good. Has to be said the uprooting the cost and all associated with another BIG move are quite daunting. I will move if things go really tits up in Palmy or in my locale. So for now its business as usual.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 1:03 am
Just Joined

khyde has a brilliant futurekhyde has a brilliant futurekhyde has a brilliant futurekhyde has a brilliant futurekhyde has a brilliant futurekhyde has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Genesis
I am well up for it..alas Felix does not want to move. So that is pretty much it I am afraid. All for the greater good. Has to be said the uprooting the cost and all associated with another BIG move are quite daunting. I will move if things go really tits up in Palmy or in my locale. So for now its business as usual.
Hi Genesis

I have not been on this site for ages. I moved over to NZ in Dec04 and we moved to Palmerston North. My husband had an uncle in Palmy so that was our connection. When we were planning to move over I strickly said we were not moving to Auckland (being from Manchester I did not want the big city again). So we lived in Palmy for about 2 years. I enjoyed it (it was better than the UK), my husband at times was a little homesick.

My job in palmy re-located to Auckland so I went along with it, moved to Whangaparoa and travelled the hour to work everyday. The hardest thing was to uproot the kids again (and this time was harder because they were a little older 11 & 12), you build this safe happy world for them and them tell them you are going to rip it down and move them.

It was the best thing we did - living it Palmy is nice as I say better than the UK (and I won't put Palmy down in anyway). But after moving to Whangaparaoa - I realised why Palmy gets the bad press it does. I love it here, I love the beaches, the local football club, my friends (mainly british with the odd kiwi), my social life, my work and I love the freedom the kids have like on a summers day they meet at the beach and spend the day with their friends. My husband has never been homesick once since we have moved here. It was a great move for the kids and they now are happy we made the move (although at the time they were not).

When I was deciding on making the move from Palmy to Auckland the thing that really convinced me was if we stayed in Palmy I knew that my kids, when they grow up, would never continue to live in Palmy because their choices as they go into adulthood are more limited than being in Auckland (they may not stay in Auckland when they get older but we have a better chance than if we were in Palmy).

My recommendation would be go for it, it is unbelievable how different it is living in Whangaparaoa compared to Palmy. I could never live there again.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by khyde
Hi Genesis

I have not been on this site for ages. I moved over to NZ in Dec04 and we moved to Palmerston North. My husband had an uncle in Palmy so that was our connection. When we were planning to move over I strickly said we were not moving to Auckland (being from Manchester I did not want the big city again). So we lived in Palmy for about 2 years. I enjoyed it (it was better than the UK), my husband at times was a little homesick.

My job in palmy re-located to Auckland so I went along with it, moved to Whangaparoa and travelled the hour to work everyday. The hardest thing was to uproot the kids again (and this time was harder because they were a little older 11 & 12), you build this safe happy world for them and them tell them you are going to rip it down and move them.

It was the best thing we did - living it Palmy is nice as I say better than the UK (and I won't put Palmy down in anyway). But after moving to Whangaparaoa - I realised why Palmy gets the bad press it does. I love it here, I love the beaches, the local football club, my friends (mainly british with the odd kiwi), my social life, my work and I love the freedom the kids have like on a summers day they meet at the beach and spend the day with their friends. My husband has never been homesick once since we have moved here. It was a great move for the kids and they now are happy we made the move (although at the time they were not).

When I was deciding on making the move from Palmy to Auckland the thing that really convinced me was if we stayed in Palmy I knew that my kids, when they grow up, would never continue to live in Palmy because their choices as they go into adulthood are more limited than being in Auckland (they may not stay in Auckland when they get older but we have a better chance than if we were in Palmy).

My recommendation would be go for it, it is unbelievable how different it is living in Whangaparaoa compared to Palmy. I could never live there again.
Don't disagree with a word you have typed...........alas Felix (who is a tad sensitive) is adamant about staying here. Add into the mix the value of our large house in Palmy would get us something half the size on the Hibiscus Coast and we are on a loser. Factor in also that we have 5 years of roots here..it aint going to happen!! I too understand the flack Palmy gets. If you know no better (and I don't as I have only ever lived in Palmy whilst in NZ) Palmy is an easy place to reside. BUT for all those who do live elsewhere and have lived elsewhere Palmy must be at the bottom of NZ's choicest places to live. On a positive note our lives here are 100% better than they were in the UK and we have exceeded all our expectations of the move. Who knows if a really good job came up elsewhere that meant we could afford to go up the housing ladder it might happen. as far as my kids go I somehow doubt they will remain in NZ. So where ever I was they would do one I reckon..and I won't blame them. I came here at 45 in the autumn of my life..but if I was a young 'un I would be desperate to get out come my 20s with a good qualification behind me..or not as the case may be.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

billabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to all

Queenstown on the South Island is the best place I have ever lived – but it is very expensive to live there and the wages in NZ (in general) are very low.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.