Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

parents emmigrating

parents emmigrating

Old Nov 24th 2007, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice
Smile parents emmigrating

My sister is already permanent resident in NZ and we will be in August, after chatting to my dad he is considering moving over as well as his relationship with his girlfriend has broke down and me and my sister will be in NZ with his grand kids.

I heard a rumour that if you have two separate family units in NZ then a parent can get a visa fairly easily, is this the case?

He is a qualified driving instructor and would have capital from his house sale so he would be mortgage free as long as he could get a 2 bed house outside of welly for £90 000! he renovates houses so a shack would surfice. He is fifty in moderate health (bit overweight!) what would he have to do to emmigrate and are the driving instructor qualifications transferable?

Thanks any advice appreciated!
Old Nov 24th 2007, 5:40 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: parents emmigrating

First a couple of questions. How long has your sister been resident in New Zealand? Do you have other siblings in the UK?
Old Nov 24th 2007, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice

My sisters been there a year and a half, I have a brother who works in Iraq but is UK resident.
Old Nov 24th 2007, 6:09 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Here comes the sun
My sister has been there a year-and-a-half, I have a brother who works in Iraq but is UK resident.
Well, if you and your sister both are resident in New Zealand that would shift the gravity (odd term, that) of the family to New Zealand. In another 18 months your sister could sponsor dear old Dad seeing as she will have been in New Zealand for the required three years. Alternatively your Pops could come over as a visitor and look for work, get a work permit and hang out until that time that your sis could sponsor him. I suppose the sticking point would be if he could get a work permit as a driving instructor. If he could find an employer who could show New Zealand Immigration Service that no suitable locals could be found then he's in like Flynn.

Good luck.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

My in-laws are looking at moving to NZ too. They must have a greater or equal number of independent adult children resident in NZ - they will have two daughters in the UK and two sons in NZ - my BIL is sponsoring them through the Family Category.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Is this post suggesting that if a parents majority of children are in NZ then the route to them emigrating is easier?

Would be interested to find the definitive answer to this.......

My Brother-in-law is coming here soon on what we think is a 'reccie'. He's now making all the right noises about his life and job in the UK and was very interested in NZ when we announced we were off.

If he decides to come here then all the in-laws children and grand children will be here in NZ. As they moved a number of years ago to be near us in the UK and my father-in-law has always wanted to buy some land together with us i would bet they might look to come here soon.

I know 3 years is the time frame for sponsorship (we hope to have PR soon) but is that waived if a persons whole family is here in NZ?
Old Nov 26th 2007, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by niseysOH
I know 3 years is the time frame for sponsorship (we hope to have PR soon) but is that waived if a persons whole family is here in NZ?
The short form is that the the majority of the parent's children are resident in New Zealand. There will still be a three year wait to sponsor a parent regardless.
Look at: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm
and http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...onsormyparent/
Old Nov 26th 2007, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by niseysOH
Is this post suggesting that if a parents majority of children are in NZ then the route to them emigrating is easier?

Would be interested to find the definitive answer to this.......

My Brother-in-law is coming here soon on what we think is a 'reccie'. He's now making all the right noises about his life and job in the UK and was very interested in NZ when we announced we were off.

If he decides to come here then all the in-laws children and grand children will be here in NZ. As they moved a number of years ago to be near us in the UK and my father-in-law has always wanted to buy some land together with us i would bet they might look to come here soon.

Doesn't matter if the whole family+ in-laws; aunts; uncles are in NZ. The sponsor has to have had residency for 3 years before application can be made- then add another year.
Parents/family visa are the bottom of the pile unless applicants are 'dependant children or asylum/refugee'( can't remember exact definition.)
Could always buy their way in under investor category. Lots of wealthy Americans/ Celebs have property in NZ not sure if they have/want residency though. (Tax as a resident is off putting)

We've made preparations to put papers in next fall- but as we've been told it could be a long wait, we're contemplating buying property when we go out in Jan. At least it will save us the annual hassle of finding a rental every year and our youngest , who is renting at mo can use and look after it.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

willow74 will become famous soon enoughwillow74 will become famous soon enough

The info is right. I had been resident for three years and my Mum and Step Father decided that they would like to make the move to NZ. I only have one sibling (sister in the UK) so they fitted the criteria. From the date of submitting the application the process took about 10 months. They now have residency and arrive in Christchurch with 2 cats and a dog on Wednesday
Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by willow74
The info is right. I had been resident for three years and my Mum and Step Father decided that they would like to make the move to NZ. I only have one sibling (sister in the UK) so they fitted the criteria. From the date of submitting the application the process took about 10 months. They now have residency and arrive in Christchurch with 2 cats and a dog on Wednesday
Congratulations Willow - did you find the process easy?
Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:07 am
Just Joined

willow74 will become famous soon enoughwillow74 will become famous soon enough

Thanks! To be honest I found it very easy from my end, I filled the forms in and sent them to my Mum in the UK. The hard work was done at home by my folks, medicals etc.
We assumed that we would be contacted regarding our capability to support them but we heard nothing. It all seemed very easy.
Can't wait until tomorrow! We will have our first family Xmas for 7 years and our little boy will have Gran and Grandad just down the road!
Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:21 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by willow74
Thanks! To be honest I found it very easy from my end, I filled the forms in and sent them to my Mum in the UK. The hard work was done at home by my folks, medicals etc.
We assumed that we would be contacted regarding our capability to support them but we heard nothing. It all seemed very easy.
Can't wait until tomorrow! We will have our first family Xmas for 7 years and our little boy will have Gran and Grandad just down the road!
Presumably if one of you is a Kiwi then Grandparents can be sponsored straight off? If they have medical hiccups (pacemaker) and are old (74) providing they bring loadsamoney would they be likely to get in? Hypothetically - coz no way is my old dear moving here - we moved 12,000 miles to get away from her ...
Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Presumably if one of you is a Kiwi then Grandparents can be sponsored straight off? If they have medical hiccups (pacemaker) and are old (74) providing they bring loadsamoney would they be likely to get in? Hypothetically - coz no way is my old dear moving here - we moved 12,000 miles to get away from her ...
Think it has too be the son/daughter of parents applying not s/d in-laws.
The fact my son is married to a kiwi - my grandchildren are Britwis- makes no odds. My son- not my daughter in- law has to be our sponsor under the family visa.

Envy you, Willow!
Have a wonderful Xmas!