Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Papamoa/Mount Meet Up!

Papamoa/Mount Meet Up!

Old Sep 22nd 2010, 10:50 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Papamoa/Mount Meet Up!

Originally Posted by rason
I would quite like to come down and meet some people, if that would be cool? Think im on a gnarly night shift
Excellent, the more the merrier. I'll update on the location the day before, once we know the weather ..
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Nelly Trolley
Hi Wish we could join you but still awaiting our LTBV application approval.

We are planning to open a coffee house in Tauranga/Mount area exact location to be confirmed.

We are trying to get our heads around the best location for the site. So in the name of research can we please pick your brains?
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

Please indicate in order which you do most frequently and list all that you do.

Everyone who responds will be invited to enjoy FREE COFFEE when we finally open!!!!!!!

Thanks your help is much appreciated
Hi,

I shall answer your questions as best I can, but clearly it's only my personal opinion/preferences.

TBH, I don't have a "favourite" coffee place as the coffee on the whole is pretty excellent anywhere.

A bunch of us used to meet weekly at the Mount, walk round and then go for coffee/breakfast. We always used to go to the same coffee shop on Marine Parade/Adams Ave. Whether that was because it was good or because I knew the owners I don't know! But suffice to say they sold it to a franchise and sadly it went down hill from there. Pretty much any cafe along that strip will be heaving all summer through to Easter and almost every weekend year round. I dread to think what the rents might be!

Very rarely, if ever, have I met friends for coffee in Palm Beach Plaza or Bayfair. Why would I want to sit inside a shopping precinct when I could sit overlooking the beach or the harbour? If I was in Bayfair and bumped in to a friend we would have coffee there, but I wouldn't go there specifically to drink coffee.

There are no places on Oceanbeach Rd for coffee, it's predominantly residential.

Maunganui Road downtown the Mount is a funny kettle of fish. There is a block or 2 that are busy, up from Adams Ave to Banks Ave, anywhere South of there is quieter. Plus it is all very quiet in Winter.

I don't tend to go over to Tauranga either for much.

Not much help am I?! I would look at Fashion Island as with the opening of the new Pak n Save I think there'll be increased foot traffic and that place will see a revival. That's Papamoa by the way. Best of luck with your plans.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 11:52 am
Newbie in New Zealand

Nelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Hi,

I shall answer your questions as best I can, but clearly it's only my personal opinion/preferences.

TBH, I don't have a "favourite" coffee place as the coffee on the whole is pretty excellent anywhere.

A bunch of us used to meet weekly at the Mount, walk round and then go for coffee/breakfast. We always used to go to the same coffee shop on Marine Parade/Adams Ave. Whether that was because it was good or because I knew the owners I don't know! But suffice to say they sold it to a franchise and sadly it went down hill from there. Pretty much any cafe along that strip will be heaving all summer through to Easter and almost every weekend year round. I dread to think what the rents might be!

Very rarely, if ever, have I met friends for coffee in Palm Beach Plaza or Bayfair. Why would I want to sit inside a shopping precinct when I could sit overlooking the beach or the harbour? If I was in Bayfair and bumped in to a friend we would have coffee there, but I wouldn't go there specifically to drink coffee.

There are no places on Oceanbeach Rd for coffee, it's predominantly residential.

Maunganui Road downtown the Mount is a funny kettle of fish. There is a block or 2 that are busy, up from Adams Ave to Banks Ave, anywhere South of there is quieter. Plus it is all very quiet in Winter.

I don't tend to go over to Tauranga either for much.

Not much help am I?! I would look at Fashion Island as with the opening of the new Pak n Save I think there'll be increased foot traffic and that place will see a revival. That's Papamoa by the way. Best of luck with your plans.
Hi Am Loolah

First of all thank you for taking the time to reply your response is more helpful than you probably think.
We are concerned that the Mount area is very seasonal and that those coffee shops on the corner and overlooking the ocean serve the area quite adequately. Maunganui Road never looked busy when we were there.

I had heard that several retailers had failed or pulled out of Fashion Island but if you really think Pak & Save will bring additional business we will reconsider. Is it very close? Also do you think the New college at Papamoa will benefit fashion island or is it not near enough?

We have been seriously considering Tauranga CBD but it again seems really quiet. I was surprised to hear you don't go there often when it is your nearest city. Don't people generally go into the city unless they work there?

Then again do those working in the city go out for their lunch or morning coffee?

Thanks again
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 12:09 pm

Hi Am Loolah

First of all thank you for taking the time to reply your response is more helpful than you probably think.
We are concerned that the Mount area is very seasonal and that those coffee shops on the corner and overlooking the ocean serve the area quite adequately. Maunganui Road never looked busy when we were there.

I had heard that several retailers had failed or pulled out of Fashion Island but if you really think Pak & Save will bring additional business we will reconsider. Is it very close? Also do you think the New college at Papamoa will benefit fashion island or is it not near enough?

We have been seriously considering Tauranga CBD but it again seems really quiet. I was surprised to hear you don't go there often when it is your nearest city. Don't people generally go into the city unless they work there?

Then again do those working in the city go out for their lunch or morning coffee?

Thanks again
You are right, there have been several business fail in Fashion Island and it has been considered a bit of a ghost town. I looked at opening an office about 5 months ago and was very close to signing on a premises there. The only reason I pulled out was personal circumstances. The new college won't have an impact on that area really, but I am optimistic Pak n Save will. There are currently only 2 coffee shops/cafes operating there, an independent and a franchise. The independent seems to be busier. There have been 2 coffee shops/cafes that have closed there, both independents and both before PnS.

I can't really help with Tauranga, I only go over there for work. There is an area called Red Square, a pedestriansied bit between The Strand and Willow Street that attracts people to the cafes, but they are cafe/restaurants.

A big Kiwi thing in offices is that they have "morning tea" in the office as a chance to get together.

I'm off to bed but will PM you tomorrow if I can think of anything else. I do have 2 friends who either had or have cafes in the Mount who my be willing to talk with you. I will call them tomorrow.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 12:30 pm
Newbie in New Zealand

Nelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to all

thats brilliant am loolah thank you.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of

Tauranga CBD seems a strange old place to me I went a couple of weekends ago on a Friday and it was dead completely and Sunday is like a ghost town but that could be said for most places I have been in NZ. I suppose Summer is where you would have to make the money like any tourist place because I reckon it would be one or the other.
I really cant think where I woul want to base a cafe but im no expert on the area, its a tough old market good luck to you
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 8:25 pm
Newbie in New Zealand

Originally Posted by rason
Tauranga CBD seems a strange old place to me I went a couple of weekends ago on a Friday and it was dead completely and Sunday is like a ghost town but that could be said for most places I have been in NZ. I suppose Summer is where you would have to make the money like any tourist place because I reckon it would be one or the other.
I really cant think where I woul want to base a cafe but im no expert on the area, its a tough old market good luck to you
Thanks rason, it does seem like people don't go into Tauranga unless they work there which means a high percentage of the population is spread out elsewhere. Difficult to think where we could secure a high footfall.
If you do think of anywhere please let me know.
Best wishes
Nelly
Old Sep 24th 2010, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

squarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to all

Thanks for organising this, life's been crazy/mad and I've only just found the thread - been having a month long blond moment

I think we'll be there, but I'm job sharing and there's a strong possibility I'll have to work. I don't always know until the last minute - but at the moment it looks good
Old Sep 30th 2010, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

The Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to all
Smile Re: Papamoa/Mount Meet Up!

Hi Wish we could join you but still awaiting our LTBV application approval.

We are planning to open a coffee house in Tauranga/Mount area exact location to be confirmed.

We are trying to get our heads around the best location for the site. So in the name of research can we please pick your brains?
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

Please indicate in order which you do most frequently and list all that you do.

Everyone who responds will be invited to enjoy FREE COFFEE when we finally open!!!!!!!

Thanks your help is much appreciated
I have coffee in two places Papmoa and the Mount CBD.
I do drink more coffee and eat cake in the Mount about 5 times a week.
I only drink coffee in Papamoa (fashion Island) about once a week.
I don't drink coffee in Tauranga I try not to go unless I have too.
I hope this helps.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 9:02 pm
Tauranga

chubnut is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone in Tauranga, I hope you can help as me my partner and daughter are moving from New Plymouth to Tauranga on 12th October. We are moving to mt Maunganui. We only know 1 family that live in Papamoa, so any communication with other people would be great. Can't wait to move as it's a lovely place.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 8:25 am
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Am Loolah

Thanks again
We live in Tauranga
There are so many choices for places to have a coffee etc I don't think another one would be a good idea.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 7:56 pm

TODAY KIDS!!!!!! 12.30 ONWARDS AT THE PARK ON THE CORNER OF PACIFIC VIEW ROAD AND GRENADA STREET, PAPAMOA. BRING PICNIC OR FOOD FOR THE FREE BBQS. I'LL BE THE QUIET ONE SIPPING ON MY EVIAN IN THE CORNER ...
Old Oct 4th 2010, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
TODAY KIDS!!!!!! 12.30 ONWARDS AT THE PARK ON THE CORNER OF PACIFIC VIEW ROAD AND GRENADA STREET, PAPAMOA. BRING PICNIC OR FOOD FOR THE FREE BBQS. I'LL BE THE QUIET ONE SIPPING ON MY EVIAN IN THE CORNER ...
.....having a wee