Overwhelmed....

Old Feb 14th 2008, 1:12 pm

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Overwhelmed....

I now feel completely overwhelmed

Now being in possession of those little blue stickers has put a very different spin on things. I'm too scared to start organising as I know as soon as I start listing the things we have to do the list is going to become endless

What seemed like a good idea....is now becoming a rather stressful reality

Someone said to me a little while back...'now the stress really starts' when they confirmed that we had got our jobs. I remember thinking at that point that as long as we had our jobs the most stressful part was over.

Good god was I wrong

I'm amazed that so many of you have done this and survived to tell the tale

At what point does the excitement return?
Old Feb 14th 2008, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all
Default Re: Overwhelmed....

Originally Posted by Tan0410

Now being in possession of those little blue stickers has put a very different spin on things. I'm too scared to start organising as I know as soon as I start listing the things we have to do the list is going to become endless

Someone said to me a little while back...'now the stress really starts' when they confirmed that we had got our jobs. I remember thinking at that point that as long as we had our jobs the most stressful part was over.

Good god was I wrong

Hi
Congratulations on getting PR.
New Zealand has been done to death in our house, we are still trying to get our heads round the big decision that has to be made so soooooon.
Were still waiting for a 'sign' to lead us the right way!!!!!!!!
C'mon bloody sign, where the hell are you:curse:
Nice to have the sticker though, I think.

Cheers Jads
Ps we find that drinking large quantities of wine helps everything
Old Feb 14th 2008, 1:51 pm

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Jads
Ps we find that drinking large quantities of wine helps everything
Breastfeeding :curse:
Old Feb 14th 2008, 2:02 pm
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

oh no! I'm sure lots of experienced voices will be along to provide some reassurance soon!

In the meantime, all i can offer is

in the greater scheme of things, the next few weeks before you go really pale into insignificance - sure you're going to be busy, and it'll probably be quite stressful at times, but chilly tootsies and feeling overwhelmed at the dawning realisation that the time has come is IMHO an entirely (probably the ONLY natural) response!

A year from now, you're going to be in a very different place altogether! You'll be able to provide that experienced voice of reassurance for someone else (maybe even me!)

i have a habit of worrying and prevaricating when feeling overwhelmed, and inevitably eventually find that getting cracking on sorting it out makes me feel better - put the kettle on and make a start on that first list of stuff that needs doing!

good luck!
Old Feb 14th 2008, 6:12 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

So you've got your visas and you've got jobs.

Next get a big piece of paper and brainstorm NZ- put NZ in a circle in the middle and then draw arms heading out from the circle labelled, for example, 'shipping' and then do arms coming off shipping of all the things you can think of that you need to do or remember about shipping- eg: clear loft, get quotes from five shippers etc. Then do the next arm coming off from the NZ circle and call it something else, for example, 'sort for arrival' and do arms for accommodation etc. Then transfer it onto a big list.

It's exhausting the next bit but the only way to get through is to approach it with military precision- making the brainstorm and the list will take only one night and you can pin the list up and get going.

Over a year in and my 10 year old still talks wistfully of the night we spent in the airport hotel by Heathrow watching the planes take off, just the four of us about to set of an the biggest adventure of our lives together. *That's* exciting
Old Feb 14th 2008, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Good god was I wrong

Hi Tan, look at my reply to your request for more positive stuff re 'the move'
NZ has been a huge success for our family..but it did not come easy! However neither Kate ofr I have ever considered once returning to the UK. We came having burnt every type of bridge possible with the 'there's no going back (ATALL)' attitude.

I must say that the excitement for me has been with me from the 1st day of the 6 months it took to get us here. 3 yrs in and I am still excited about Palmy and NZ, but then I am 49 going on 7. Spending all my time with 3 X under sevens keeps me purile!!!!!!
Old Feb 15th 2008, 4:29 am

Over a year in and my 10 year old still talks wistfully of the night we spent in the airport hotel by Heathrow watching the planes take off, just the four of us about to set of an the biggest adventure of our lives together. *That's* exciting
No word of a lie...I just shed a tear over this

Suddenly I had a really clear picture of the four of us sitting at the airport

Think I need more sleep - brain turning to emotional mush!

Thank you all
Old Feb 15th 2008, 4:56 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Breastfeeding :curse:
Hat off to you, keep it up.

When does it get better?... uh, beats me. When you get on the plane, I think!
Old Feb 15th 2008, 10:39 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hey. You are entitled to feel this. Flipping heck. It's normal.
the last night before I flew out I was bricking it. I had been like that for a week or so before I flew but the night before was cr*p.

Husband had been gone two months. Animals had also been gone two months. I had been living on a friends floor for all that time with my one suitcase...but.. I was still mortified .

I had lists and a book of lists and a list of lists.

Find something that is comfy like clutching a pillow [ you cannot slug a wine or beer down you] or muttering to yourself in the mirror. We have all done similar.

One day at a time. Do the lists , coz they are important, and you'll be here before you know it . It'll be worth it.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 6:12 pm
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Good god was I wrong

Hi there,
first of all congrats on getting your blue stickers. As many have described the journey before, it is like a very very long rollercoaster ride, the up's and downs can be daily, sometimes hourly for us, but from our experience, you really have done all the hard work, I know you think that is all still ahead of you, but for us, whilst doing all the other organising was difficult and stressful at times, getting PR, now we are here, working, paying taxes, intergrating into society, still seems to be a world away for us and others we know in our position. So try to relax and enjoy things, you have a great life ahead of you,
Old Feb 19th 2008, 9:15 am

Thank you all for the words of encouragement

I'd get a lot more done if I wasn't so obsessed with reading the threads on this forum
Old Feb 19th 2008, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Thank you all for the words of encouragement

I'd get a lot more done if I wasn't so obsessed with reading the threads on this forum
dont worry its fine to be worried...the good news is that what youre going through could be worse...
the bad news is that the stress only gets worse when you arrive in Nz!!!

dont worry though, its all an adventure, just keep your chin up and dont worry if you have a few bad days here and there....

the good times make up for it as long as youre prepared for the crap that comes with it...

immigrating never really stops, its all a process that probalby only stops when you get NZ passports one day...

all the best and good luck with the continuing adventure of immigrating.