Overlander saved

Old Sep 28th 2006, 7:15 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Overlander saved

Well thank goodness for that, it was absolutely crazy to discontinue this rail line.
Hope they now make their trains fab and huge tourist attractions.
I think the kiwis underestimate how popular the trains are to tourists.
Maybe they could have an overlander Orient Express ... now that would be cool!
Old Sep 28th 2006, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overlander saved

Originally Posted by sky
Well thank goodness for that, it was absolutely crazy to discontinue this rail line.
Hope they now make their trains fab and huge tourist attractions.
I think the kiwis underestimate how popular the trains are to tourists.
Maybe they could have an overlander Orient Express ... now that would be cool!
I was thinking the same, after watching a travel programme last night about the Brisbane to Cairns train. It looked gorgeous - what a way to travel!
Old Sep 28th 2006, 8:22 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

It would be fantastic wouldn't it and New Zealand would really be the next ideal place for the Orient. Anyone outside the country adores it and the senery just is mind blowing.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 8:53 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sky
It would be fantastic wouldn't it and New Zealand would really be the next ideal place for the Orient. Anyone outside the country adores it and the senery just is mind blowing.
Have you been on the TranzAlpine yet, Sky? Winter is the best time to do it while there is snow on the mountains, and Arthur's Pass is a great journey by car, let alone by train. The train takes a slightly different path too. I always marvel at the nutters doing the Coast to Coast through there, especially the "longest day" competitors.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 9:03 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by Apple12
Have you been on the TranzAlpine yet, Sky? Winter is the best time to do it while there is snow on the mountains, and Arthur's Pass is a great journey by car, let alone by train. The train takes a slightly different path too. I always marvel at the nutters doing the Coast to Coast through there, especially the "longest day" competitors.
I've done it by car Apple but not by train yet, I loved Arthurs Pass and when you get into the middle and it's all flat and you are surrounded by all the mountains it just was so peaceful and beautiful. The train passed us and honestly the poor thing is so run down and old, they really need updating a little or else going back in time and making them look old and get the steam trains out again ... they would seriously make big money here in this country if they got the old trains out.
Through a tourists eyes (which Im not but lets pretend) the Tranz Alpine is a wee bit disappointing, it's old and tired and looks unsafe. Money needs to be spent on it and then there is no stopping it making the country loads of dosh
Old Sep 28th 2006, 9:20 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sky
I've done it by car Apple but not by train yet, I loved Arthurs Pass and when you get into the middle and it's all flat and you are surrounded by all the mountains it just was so peaceful and beautiful. The train passed us and honestly the poor thing is so run down and old, they really need updating a little or else going back in time and making them look old and get the steam trains out again ... they would seriously make big money here in this country if they got the old trains out.
Through a tourists eyes (which Im not but lets pretend) the Tranz Alpine is a wee bit disappointing, it's old and tired and looks unsafe. Money needs to be spent on it and then there is no stopping it making the country loads of dosh
Yip, new carriages would be good, mind you when you are in it is is not that bad - not like the trains that I used to ride into Glasgow each day...

There is a steam train running occasionally at Waikari (on the way to Hanmer) and also Taieri Gorge (Dunedin to Alexandra). If you have never been into Central Otago then the latter is a real treat, I love it there.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 9:37 am
sky
Banned

Yip, new carriages would be good, mind you when you are in it is is not that bad - not like the trains that I used to ride into Glasgow each day...

There is a steam train running occasionally at Waikari (on the way to Hanmer) and also Taieri Gorge (Dunedin to Alexandra). If you have never been into Central Otago then the latter is a real treat, I love it there.
I must have been spoilt, I caught the train when I liked from our little station in Morley UK which was just 2mins away from us down a little ginnel ... it took four mins to get into Leeds as opposed to a half an hour car drive to travel four miles into the city centre.
I worked in the centre of Leeds but my work was night work and I would dearly have loved to have used the trains but the walk from and to the station became just too dangerous

Last edited by sky; Sep 28th 2006 at 9:40 am.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

It would cost to much money to upgrade the NZ rail system.
NZ is the only country in the world that uses non standard rail gauge, so all the engines and carriages have to either be specially more or heavily modified and its just not cost effective.
NZ need to invest Millions to upgrade its rail and track network/system to make it a viable option, the overlander is destined to close its just got a short stay of execution.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 1:37 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
... the overlander is destined to close its just got a short stay of execution.
shame, real shame
take it whilst it's there people
Old Sep 29th 2006, 1:56 am
Account Closed

It would cost to much money to upgrade the NZ rail system.
NZ is the only country in the world that uses non standard rail gauge, so all the engines and carriages have to either be specially more or heavily modified and its just not cost effective.
NZ need to invest Millions to upgrade its rail and track network/system to make it a viable option, the overlander is destined to close its just got a short stay of execution.
I love Wikpedia, it is so easy to correct misconceptions... of course it is not infallible... but hey, it works for me 99.9% of the time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Track_gauge#Narrow_gauge
Old Sep 29th 2006, 2:52 am
sky
Banned

And kiwis have a very can do attitude so Im sure once they realize how much more money they can make with updated railways they will get cracking.
Why are you visiting here Ian is it too boring on the other forum or can't you resist me
Old Sep 29th 2006, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

I love Wikpedia, it is so easy to correct misconceptions... of course it is not infallible... but hey, it works for me 99.9% of the time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Track_gauge#Narrow_gauge
Oh sorry, NZ does share the same size gauge as some of the Australian, Canadian and Japanese rail networks, great. Can't see the bullet train coming here, NZ could not afford it and the railway lines would not take it, not to mention the signaling, bridges etc

It does however also share the same gauge as these Countries who are well known for there railway networks and engineering capabilities !

Costa Rica
Ecuador
Ghana
Honduras
And so on !

My point is, would any company in charge of the NZ rail system invest in new units (you would not buy a 2nd hand car from Ghana, would you buy a 2nd hand locomotive, no ) Is it worth upgrading the current units, no.
Since NZ only got rid of its steam engine fleet in 1971 I can't imagine there is going to be a big rush to replace its 40+ years diesel loco's.

The days of NZ rail is rapidly coming to an end and not even Richard Branson would be stupid enough to try and save it.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sky
And kiwis have a very can do attitude so Im sure once they realize how much more money they can make with updated railways they will get cracking.
Why are you visiting here Ian is it too boring on the other forum or can't you resist me
What a load of Tosh, yes Kiwi's do have a can to attitude but your talking Millions upon Millions to upgrade a system that has been in need of over hauling for many years. It would be cheaper to start again.
Remember NZ only has 500km of electrified track, how many new diesel loco's are built now, there mainly hybrid loco's.

And as for resisting you, yep thats right
Old Sep 29th 2006, 3:20 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

With the Overland, despite the recent flurry of interest, it will probably be a case of use it or lose it. One of the reasons it was for the chop, was that few people travelled on it often enough to make it viable.
I think that Ians comments on its long term future are probably, sadly, accurate.
The people that rely on this service for their income and living have won the battle but not the war.It will be a stay of execution only, unless a huge amount of private investment can be found.

It would be wonderful to see more rail track here in NZ. I , personally, would love to be able to travel the length and breadth of the country easily by rail at a cost I could afford. We considered it quite expensive back in '97 when we first came to tour NZ. The idea that rail will make a comeback & could be government funded, is somewhat unrealistic IMHO.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 5:01 am
sky
Banned

What a load of Tosh, yes Kiwi's do have a can to attitude but your talking Millions upon Millions to upgrade a system that has been in need of over hauling for many years. It would be cheaper to start again.
Remember NZ only has 500km of electrified track, how many new diesel loco's are built now, there mainly hybrid loco's.

And as for resisting you, yep thats right
My you're moody today