Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Our first setback, but still on track

Our first setback, but still on track

Old Oct 27th 2005, 4:35 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold
Default Our first setback, but still on track

Thought it was all going too well! On Sunday Steve woke up with really bad back pain, in incredible agony. He'd had a nagging on and off pain in his leg for a few weeks but we'd put it down to all the lifting and shifting of packing up combined with the plane journey, so hadn't given it serious consideration. So Sunday, him unable to breathe with the pain, we get to the emergency doctor who diagnosed a crushed vertebrae and said that surgery was a high possibility. He was supposed to have started work on Tuesday, and having read all the posts about employers turning nasty we expected the worst re his new job.

Doc sees him again Wednesday and gets x-rays done and him to an orthopaedic surgeon today, who, thankfully, can see some improvement and isn't gowning up and scrubbing just yet. Phew! For now, he can continue with the anti-inflammatories and the strong painkillers whilst they see how it goes.

And, the doc has put it all through ACC as well. More phew!

Then his employer said not to worry, these things happen, keep in touch and let us know when you can start. Three phews in one post!

So, what we thought was going to be a huge setback has thankfully been handled marvellously by all concerned (including poor Steve who is still hobbling around in great pain, credit to him). And the poor bloke can't have a drink because of the stuff he's taking.

Out of curiosity, how soon do you think you'd get to see an orthopaedic surgeon in the UK, even if you went private? Saw the doc Sun, labour day Mon, saw surgeon on Thurs - how's that for service?
Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our first setback, but still on track

Originally Posted by bookemjano
Thought it was all going too well! On Sunday Steve woke up with really bad back pain, in incredible agony. He'd had a nagging on and off pain in his leg for a few weeks but we'd put it down to all the lifting and shifting of packing up combined with the plane journey, so hadn't given it serious consideration. So Sunday, him unable to breathe with the pain, we get to the emergency doctor who diagnosed a crushed vertebrae and said that surgery was a high possibility. He was supposed to have started work on Tuesday, and having read all the posts about employers turning nasty we expected the worst re his new job.

Doc sees him again Wednesday and gets x-rays done and him to an orthopaedic surgeon today, who, thankfully, can see some improvement and isn't gowning up and scrubbing just yet. Phew! For now, he can continue with the anti-inflammatories and the strong painkillers whilst they see how it goes.

Then his employer said not to worry, these things happen, keep in touch and let us know when you can start. Three phews in one post!

So, what we thought was going to be a huge setback has thankfully been handled marvellously by all concerned (including poor Steve who is still hobbling around in great pain, credit to him). And the poor bloke can't have a drink because of the stuff he's taking.

Out of curiosity, how soon do you think you'd get to see an orthopaedic surgeon in the UK, even if you went private? Saw the doc Sun, labour day Mon, saw surgeon on Thurs - how's that for service?
Hi Jan
glad to hear they've put the knife away for now - you must all be really relieved - hope Steve continues to feel better
Vicki
Old Oct 27th 2005, 12:21 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jan,

Pleased to hear it may not be that bad. Best wishes to Steve for a speedy recovery, he must be in agony? carmen.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

Paresh is an unknown quantity at this point

What a bleeding nighmare! Oh well i'm gad that Steve is ok. This is reminiscent of some tales my friends told me about how good the health service is over in NZ. by way of example my mum has been on a list for a farily serious op for the three months and it keeps getting cancelled- once cos there was apower failure and they ahd to see more important patients and twice cos they didn't have a bed!!!

Wish you all the best.........don't know if could handle time away from the booze! hic

P x
Old Oct 27th 2005, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

jrsuk73 has a spectacular aura aboutjrsuk73 has a spectacular aura aboutjrsuk73 has a spectacular aura about

Hi Jan

Sorry to hear about Steve, hope he gets better really quickly for you guys. Thanks for your pm have replied then read your thread.

I had to have surgery 3 weeks ago. Went to the doctors as had a bit of a scare they found a mass and then told me I would have to wait 3 months to be seen and 6months to a year if gynaecologist needed to remove it if he thought it not to be cancer. With NZ application going through new I couldn't wait that long so we asked to be refereed to a private clinic, we had an appointment within the week, 25 min appointment £120.00 he told me not to worry he would refer me to nNHSand operate himself (I new his secretary, my sister-in-laws mother) so got a phone call that day and went into hospital 4 days later. Good news was not cancer tthank god but was told without my private appointment and knowing his ssecretaryI would of waited 18 months! I have to say your time span for Steve was excellent. But also would like to say the nurses and doctors working in our nNHShospitals are fantastic and I have so much admiration for them.

Helen
Old Oct 27th 2005, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

jrsuk73 has a spectacular aura aboutjrsuk73 has a spectacular aura aboutjrsuk73 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jrsuk73
Hi Jan

Sorry to hear about Steve, hope he gets better really quickly for you guys. Thanks for your pm have replied then read your thread.

I had to have surgery 3 weeks ago. Went to the doctors as had a bit of a scare they found a mass and then told me I would have to wait 3 months to be seen and 6months to a year if gynaecologist needed to remove it if he thought it not to be cancer. With NZ application going through new I couldn't wait that long so we asked to be refereed to a private clinic, we had an appointment within the week, 25 min appointment £120.00 he told me not to worry he would refer me to nNHSand operate himself (I new his secretary, my sister-in-laws mother) so got a phone call that day and went into hospital 4 days later. Good news was not cancer tthank god but was told without my private appointment and knowing his ssecretaryI would of waited 18 months! I have to say your time span for Steve was excellent. But also would like to say the nurses and doctors working in our nNHShospitals are fantastic and I have so much admiration for them.

Helen
Sorry spell check has done some strange things!
Old Oct 28th 2005, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Jan & Steve,

What a start to a new life. I wish Steve a speedy recovery. It's also nice to hear positive feedback about NZ healthcare.

For Helen it's a shame that you had to go private, although things seem to be looking good for you now. That's one of my big UK gripes - you pay so much NI contributions and still have to pay for private healthcare. I am an NHS nurse and thank you for the vote of confidence - it's just a shame how the system lets us down.

Boopy
Old Oct 28th 2005, 10:43 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear Steve has had this set back & hope the back gets to feeling better soon. Great relief for you to know they arent going to whip the knife out just yet huh, that must have been a helluva relief for him. Good to hear his employers were fine about things too as these things cant be predicted. Hope he is back on his feet quickly & settles in at the new job soon.ACC can be a real blessing at times huh?

Best wishes to all
Cindy
Old Oct 30th 2005, 5:51 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jrsuk73
Hi Jan

Helen
Sorry to hear about this Helen, you must have been out of your mind with worry. Thank god you got it sorted.

My best mate's an A&E nurse and some of the stories she tells me scare the life out of me, how the people on the NHS frontline do their jobs I'll never know, they deserve so much more than they get.

Steve, in the meantime, is still pretty bad, not able to sit or stand for any long period, can't drive without having to stop all the time (it's his right side that's damaged) and can't stand any heat or extreme cold near him so can't use any heat or ice packs to help. Ironically, he's not able to move, I'm doing everything and he's losing the weight! Go figure! But I hate seeing him like this, it's awful and I feel really helpless. He's seeing the surgeon again on Thursday, and I expect them to say they'll operate as the painkillers are only just taking the edge off temporarily. He goes to college on Monday to do a two week course for his licence so I hope they can up his painkillers for then or he's never going to be able to get through it. Fingers crossed for Thursday!
Old Oct 30th 2005, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Jan

Sorry to hear Steve's no better, hope they can sort things for you on Thursday. I know an operation is not good news but if it takes the pain away then its worth it. We will be thinking of you guys PM me if you get chance to let me know how it goes.

Take very good care of yourselves.

Helen
Old Oct 30th 2005, 11:32 pm
Banned

Debs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to all

Sorry to hear about this Helen, you must have been out of your mind with worry. Thank god you got it sorted.

My best mate's an A&E nurse and some of the stories she tells me scare the life out of me, how the people on the NHS frontline do their jobs I'll never know, they deserve so much more than they get.

Steve, in the meantime, is still pretty bad, not able to sit or stand for any long period, can't drive without having to stop all the time (it's his right side that's damaged) and can't stand any heat or extreme cold near him so can't use any heat or ice packs to help. Ironically, he's not able to move, I'm doing everything and he's losing the weight! Go figure! But I hate seeing him like this, it's awful and I feel really helpless. He's seeing the surgeon again on Thursday, and I expect them to say they'll operate as the painkillers are only just taking the edge off temporarily. He goes to college on Monday to do a two week course for his licence so I hope they can up his painkillers for then or he's never going to be able to get through it. Fingers crossed for Thursday!
Hi Jan,

Terrible news for you and your family.. but your fantastic sense of humour shines through as always. I hope Steve managed to get to his course?

Thinking of you..
Debsx