Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

our first few days...

our first few days...

Old Aug 31st 2009, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default our first few days...

We did LOADS of research on tinterweb (including reading this forum a lot) and it has paid off

I'm still amazed that we now actually LIVE HERE, but somehow in the first 3 days we have managed to buy a car and insure it taking account of our UK no claims, buy a gps, get a mobile phone number (both easy), change a NZ bank account to a joint one and get our EFTPOS cards, and find somewhere to rent that will take our dogs too

The weather in CHC has been kind so far, people have been so helpful, and I feel ready to start my new job tomorrow

moral: do as much work as you can via the internet from the UK before you turn up, and bring loads of paperwork with you, eg proof of no claims, proof of UK address etc. In the CHC area rental properties seem to be going out as fast as they are listed so sign on with an agent (and swallow the costs......)

Jan
Old Aug 31st 2009, 9:06 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: our first few days...

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
We did LOADS of research on tinterweb (including reading this forum a lot) and it has paid off

I'm still amazed that we now actually LIVE HERE, but somehow in the first 3 days we have managed to buy a car and insure it taking account of our UK no claims, buy a gps, get a mobile phone number (both easy), change a NZ bank account to a joint one and get our EFTPOS cards, and find somewhere to rent that will take our dogs too

The weather in CHC has been kind so far, people have been so helpful, and I feel ready to start my new job tomorrow

moral: do as much work as you can via the internet from the UK before you turn up, and bring loads of paperwork with you, eg proof of no claims, proof of UK address etc. In the CHC area rental properties seem to be going out as fast as they are listed so sign on with an agent (and swallow the costs......)

Jan

Thanks Jan really pleased to hear all is going well for you and you are settling in so well.

Good luck with the job, they already sound like lovely employers so I expect it will be ok, let us know how it all goes

Keep those tips coming brilliant, had not thought about evidence for my no claims bonus!

Good luck
Dewb x
Old Aug 31st 2009, 9:14 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if these guys ever sleep??

Within my first few days, all I did was sleeping & eating...

Good to read you're settling in so well though!
Old Aug 31st 2009, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Well done!

How easy was it to find somewhere to take dogs? We will be looking to rent in CHC area (eventually!) and dogs do seem to be a problem. Any advice will be most welcome!
Old Aug 31st 2009, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chippy64
Well done!

How easy was it to find somewhere to take dogs? We will be looking to rent in CHC area (eventually!) and dogs do seem to be a problem. Any advice will be most welcome!
It is a problem to be honest: we seem to have dropped lucky but learnt a few tips:

you will never get a furnished place that takes dogs
more than one dog needs licencing (which is our problem) but we have found out that it is basically a fencing issue: you need full fencing with a gate to separate the back garden from the front. Failing that you need dog runs and drainage, but that gets complicated. We rang the council to see what was "reasonable" space and they just said be sensible, ie 3 dogs in 1 bed flat was a no-no, but big garden with suitable fences are fine.

Most landlords tell you to keep dogs outside. However, if the property is unfurnished there may be leeway on this i.e. outside when you're out, inside when you're there, we have no problem with this tbh.

We had heard that you need permission from the neighbours to have dogs, this turned out to be totally false thank goodness.

We also learnt that out of town was much easier to find dog friendly place's but they are going as soon as they come in at the moment, so get on an agents list.

PS we do sleep but we REALLY needed to get things sorted before I start work tomorrow
Old Aug 31st 2009, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light

Jan
God u 2 are very organised! - Well done! and thanks for the tips!
The very best of luck starting ur new job tomoro!! xxx
Enjoy ur lovely new start in CHC!
love and hugs
Berni

xxxx
Old Aug 31st 2009, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

Jan
Hi Jan and Neil

Just thought i would drop in here and wish you all the best, good luck, and i hope its all you wish it to be.

Be happy
Old Aug 31st 2009, 9:50 pm
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: our first few days...

Originally Posted by Psychopandy
Hi Jan and Neil

Just thought i would drop in here and wish you all the best, good luck, and i hope its all you wish it to be.

Be happy
Good luck with your first day at work Jan, let us know how it goes.

Love Tina. x
Old Sep 1st 2009, 4:31 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Have some karma for starting a great thread and thinking to update us all .

Welcome to NZ.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

I hope that the first day at work went well for you
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:14 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Great to get an update - they are often my favourite threads (cue Thread Of The Month2 Nominations ... ) it's always great to follow someone's build up to the move and then gauge their initial reactions and thoughts upon arrival. Hope your first day at work went well.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Bit more of an update, Pick my new (nearly) ute up tomorrow should be perfect for the dogs Jan has really settled in to her new job I have had a look round but there is nothing in my area (heavy equipment) luckily Jan is working so no rush. Have just "applied" for a nice house on a couple of acres again perfect for the doggies and am waiting to hear, Is it just me or are estate agent,s absolutley crap round here

Dogs turn up friday and we are of to Tekapo for a weekend on the piss

Neil

Almost forgot, Really liking the place/people

Oh, and chemists are very expensive
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

more update: we got knocked back by the landlord of one house even though it said it was dog friendly and the previous tenants had 3 kids and a dog. Waiting to see about another now. Bit of a hiccup, but, hey, we got through the most awful stress in our immigration process!!

The job environment is excellent: I really did come here for the job (rather than it being NZ I wanted to move to) and it was the right thing to do, career wise. However I am also falling in love with NZ too, rather quickly actually

Good job it's a permanent job

Jan
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light

Bit more of an update, Pick my new (nearly) ute up tomorrow should be perfect for the dogs Jan has really settled in to her new job I have had a look round but there is nothing in my area (heavy equipment) luckily Jan is working so no rush. Have just "applied" for a nice house on a couple of acres again perfect for the doggies and am waiting to hear, Is it just me or are estate agent,s absolutley crap round here

Dogs turn up friday and we are of to Tekapo for a weekend on the piss

Neil

Almost forgot, Really liking the place/people

Oh, and chemists are very expensive
Sounds really good... enjoy!

Berni
xx