Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Our Anniversary - 1 year today!!!

Our Anniversary - 1 year today!!!

Old Oct 6th 2006, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Our Anniversary - 1 year today!!!

Hi there
Just thought I'd celebrate with you guys - we've been here 1 year today. It's great reading threads from people getting ready to leave UK/having just arrived as it brings back the memories.

So how has year 1 been for us - pretty great really - we arrived with nothing set up: no jobs, no home etc etc, we had a holiday home booked for our 1st month to help us along our way.
Within 2 weeks hubby had a job which has worked out brilliantly - the pay was as we expected (cr*p), but the family he works for have been superb - flexible, accommodating, welcoming, friendly and he is really happy - he had his own business in the UK and was really wary about working for someone again but these fears were unfounded.
We quickly found a rental and then a house to buy - we've been in it since March, through one of the coldest winters in chch and we are now absolute converts to logburners - it heated the whole house other than on the coldest nights, when the electric blankets came to the rescue! We have no regrets about buying (we sold our UK house to do so), we do have a mortgage albeit a small one.
We settled the children into daycare within a month and they have loved it - my son starts school after xmas so we've that experience to come!
I found a job after about 3 months - initial pay was as expected and then a nice pay agreement went through which has been a bit of a bonus (although the wages are still cr*p). I have a role that I had in the UK, however the work environment is more positive, treated as an equal, less stress, very friendly team, not as open to part time work which could be a shame when son starts school - they don't seem as open-minded about flexible working as they were in the UK.
we've started camping, we've been to the skifields, we get to go to the beach without spending hours on a motorway, we spend much more time as a family and more of that time has been spent outdoors, we've made some great friends - expats and kiwis, we have a very informal social life (no place for much of my old wardrobe!) and we've learnt to budget!! we make our own bread, we're planning a vege patch. our priorities have changed and what is important has changed. homesickness hit a couple of times but use of msn / skype / webcam has kept some of our relationships going (has been a bit one way though! out of sight, out of mind)

sorry this became a bit of an essay, but just musing on the year!!

so, anyway - cheers to you all - we have enjoyed the support and company, hope we can support those making the move now.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our Anniversary - 1 year today!!!

Originally Posted by Joshlin
Hi there
Just thought I'd celebrate with you guys - we've been here 1 year today. It's great reading threads from people getting ready to leave UK/having just arrived as it brings back the memories.

So how has year 1 been for us - pretty great really - we arrived with nothing set up: no jobs, no home etc etc, we had a holiday home booked for our 1st month to help us along our way.
Within 2 weeks hubby had a job which has worked out brilliantly - the pay was as we expected (cr*p), but the family he works for have been superb - flexible, accommodating, welcoming, friendly and he is really happy - he had his own business in the UK and was really wary about working for someone again but these fears were unfounded.
We quickly found a rental and then a house to buy - we've been in it since March, through one of the coldest winters in chch and we are now absolute converts to logburners - it heated the whole house other than on the coldest nights, when the electric blankets came to the rescue! We have no regrets about buying (we sold our UK house to do so), we do have a mortgage albeit a small one.
We settled the children into daycare within a month and they have loved it - my son starts school after xmas so we've that experience to come!
I found a job after about 3 months - initial pay was as expected and then a nice pay agreement went through which has been a bit of a bonus (although the wages are still cr*p). I have a role that I had in the UK, however the work environment is more positive, treated as an equal, less stress, very friendly team, not as open to part time work which could be a shame when son starts school - they don't seem as open-minded about flexible working as they were in the UK.
we've started camping, we've been to the skifields, we get to go to the beach without spending hours on a motorway, we spend much more time as a family and more of that time has been spent outdoors, we've made some great friends - expats and kiwis, we have a very informal social life (no place for much of my old wardrobe!) and we've learnt to budget!! we make our own bread, we're planning a vege patch. our priorities have changed and what is important has changed. homesickness hit a couple of times but use of msn / skype / webcam has kept some of our relationships going (has been a bit one way though! out of sight, out of mind)

sorry this became a bit of an essay, but just musing on the year!!

so, anyway - cheers to you all - we have enjoyed the support and company, hope we can support those making the move now.

what a lovely post Vicki, glad to hear you have enjoyed your first year,
congrtas to you all ( i may come to you for tips on the veggie patch when we get our own house, & if i find an interesting bread recipe i'll pass it on)
take care
poppsxx
Old Oct 6th 2006, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

so, anyway - cheers to you all - we have enjoyed the support and company, hope we can support those making the move now.[/QUOTE]

Tis fabulous to read stories like that-honest,but positive. Congratulations to you all. Can't wait til we are able to post stuff like that! Am well jealous-in a nice way. Good luck-and long may your evident happiness and positivity continue!
Old Oct 6th 2006, 4:41 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Vicki...
Glad your first year has been a good one, we really should meet up for that coffee...maybe when the little one is at school and you get a free minute eh?
Hope the next few years get better n better...
Old Oct 6th 2006, 6:10 am
Arrived CHC 23 May 2006

Stevemw is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats Vicki. Time flies doesn't it.
Cheers,
Steve
Old Oct 6th 2006, 9:23 am

taffinkent will become famous soon enough

Hi

We followed your progress when you first arrived.

We have been in Invercargill for 9 months and love it. Who said the weather was terrible here. Look at the weather in the North Island at the moment !!!

North Island...........yeah right !!!!!!!

Taff and Debs
Old Oct 6th 2006, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

lizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by taffinkent
Hi

We followed your progress when you first arrived.

We have been in Invercargill for 9 months and love it. Who said the weather was terrible here. Look at the weather in the North Island at the moment !!!

North Island...........yeah right !!!!!!!

Taff and Debs
Well the weathers nice where we are in Whakatane. Still sunny ( again). Great news that you guys love it here. We have been here over a year too and we love it also. We are coming down to the South Island at the weekend to see what all the fuss is about. You will recognise us, we will be the ones constantly complaining its f@#king freezing.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 9:51 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on your first year in NZ
It whizzes by doesn't it :scared:
Old Oct 6th 2006, 1:36 pm
Too close to the sun

SirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud of