Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Which order - sell house / find job?

Which order - sell house / find job?

Old Feb 5th 2015, 11:59 am
Just Joined

Tammy123 has a reputation beyond reputeTammy123 has a reputation beyond reputeTammy123 has a reputation beyond reputeTammy123 has a reputation beyond reputeTammy123 has a reputation beyond reputeTammy123 has a reputation beyond reputeTammy123 has a reputation beyond reputeTammy123 has a reputation beyond reputeTammy123 has a reputation beyond reputeTammy123 has a reputation beyond reputeTammy123 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Which order - sell house / find job?

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and this is probably the first of many silly questions!
My husband and I are hoping to move to NZ in about 12 months - 2 years with our 2 daughters (no sooner as daughter 2 is due in June this year, so we want to get over the newborn stage!).
We are pondering whether to do job hunting before we put our UK house on the market, or should we try and sell the house first before we look for jobs?
I'm in an established career and am relatively confident that I will find a job in NZ relatively quickly - I have over 140 points and will apply directly to accredited employers as well, so hopefully the visas won't be a problem .
I'm just concerned that if I look for a job too soon it will then be problematic if I have to delay because we're struggling to sell the house. But if we sell the house before I look for a job, there will then be a panic to find a job ASAP.
I know there's no ideal solution, but am wondering how other people have gone about it?
Many thanks for your help!
Old Feb 5th 2015, 7:21 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which order - sell house / find job?

if you manage to sell the house do you have somewhere to go? I imagine with the sale of the house you will be at a good point financially to get over here and sustain yourself for a least a few months.
The selling process in the UK is so different to it here and we have seen a few problems for members on here that have sold and are trying to sell being out of the country. I personally had a buyer for our property so organised all the movers and flights just for buyer on exchange/completion date to say they could not afford to buy it so pulled out, but as we had everything booked we had to leave. leaving the property empty and us having to try and sell from another country. Another member is having problems atm as they rented their property out and have now also got a buyer who wants the tenants out before they exchange but the prospect of the sale not completing is real and if it doesn't she will have no sale and no tenants. Also the rules on renting out and being non resident are changing.
Do you have family here to help with the transition and young children?
if the points system changed within the time you are applying will you still have enough points without a job offer?
can you tell us what occupation you would be applying under?
Old Feb 5th 2015, 7:28 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to the forum

Ask if you have any questions, however silly they seem, we're generally a friendly bunch
I can't really answer your question as my circumstances were very different: no house to sell in the UK and somewhere to live in NZ.

There is no right answer, it's whatever you feel more comfortable with, how much risk are you willing to take?
If you have over 140points then there should be no problems with getting residency. Does that 140 include points for a job offer or not? The reason I'm asking is that if you can get residency without needing a job offer for extra points then this will help you with job hunting. Many employers do not understand the visa process and request that the applicant has already got a visa allowing them to work.

I know some people on here have gone into rented accommodation or stayed with relatives in order to sell their house before moving. Others have rented out their UK house if it is not selling quickly.
Is your occupation in demand, is it likely you would find a job quickly anyway?

As I said, no easy answer

P
Old Feb 7th 2015, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

nikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say it depends on circumstances... My husband had the job set in stone and our visas ready before we put the house up for sale. We were lucky we had my parents to live with before he came out, and we have accommodation through my husbands work here. So we were very fortunate in that sense.
I would think it best to have a job before making big decisions with selling a house considering all the costs that are involved with it.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 9:16 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Job offer first.

You can work around no house sale.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the UK house market was on the up, isn't it? Also depending on which sector you are working in, it may be harder than you assume to find work here as there really is a heck of a lot of competition and not enough jobs especially in Auckland.

I would do job first and as BEVS says you can work around a house sale.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 8:58 am
Just Joined

fourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of light

It's hard to give advice without knowing more about your reasons for moving i.e. have you been to NZ before, are you looking to make this a permanent move?