Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Opening a bank account in the UK from NZ

Opening a bank account in the UK from NZ

Old Jul 16th 2009, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Opening a bank account in the UK from NZ

Hi, don't think this can be done....but I urgently need to try and source a new bank account in the UK....does anyone know a bank that will open an account (with e access) for someone who is non resident in the UK?

Any info most gratefully received...many thanks in advance.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 9:16 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a bank account in the UK from NZ

Speak to HSBC Int'l banking centre, they will organise this for you within a week or so... BUT there's a charge... £100 I think...
Old Jul 16th 2009, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matewx
Speak to HSBC Int'l banking centre, they will organise this for you within a week or so... BUT there's a charge... £100 I think...
Thank you! I will give 'em a call.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 10:18 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

That could be so useful for folks.
Did it work ?
Old Jul 16th 2009, 10:59 pm
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC will open you an account in any country they are in if you wish...

Through work, I get Premier Status, which subsequently make it free for me to open accounts in any country HSBC Premier exists... France, UK, Oz & NZ so far... lol - Don't ask!

OH was till recently a HSBC Plus & was told to pay £100 to open his account here in NZ. Then my Relationship manager suggested we open a joint account, which gives him Premier Status & subsequently not having to pay £100 to open the account from afar...
Old Jul 17th 2009, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS
That could be so useful for folks.
Did it work ?
Just tried...they are sooooooooooooooooo hopeless. They deny being the international dept when I ring them (from a number on their website)!!!!! and their 'Premier Call Centre' is an absolute joke with people who seem to have english as a 2nd language. In the end I managed to glean the following.... that for the last quarter they 'don't do it' due to international restrictions.

Back to square one I am afraid. They did not inspire any confidence in me. I have left a message with National Bank. Let's see what they say..any more ideas anyone please??????????????
Old Jul 17th 2009, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

terrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to all

Im going to the UK next month, give me your cash and I will take it with me and see what I can do!
Seriously, if I can do anything for you I will, but I cant see what.

Best of luck.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Just tried...they are sooooooooooooooooo hopeless. They deny being the international dept when I ring them (from a number on their website)!!!!! and their 'Premier Call Centre' is an absolute joke with people who seem to have english as a 2nd language. In the end I managed to glean the following.... that for the last quarter they 'don't do it' due to international restrictions.

Back to square one I am afraid. They did not inspire any confidence in me. I have left a message with National Bank. Let's see what they say..any more ideas anyone please??????????????
http://www.barclays.co.uk/current-accounts/

Click on international accounts

Last edited by mickey_d; Jul 17th 2009 at 4:55 am.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mickey_d
http://www.barclays.co.uk/current-accounts/

Click on international accounts
Cheers!!!!! Isn't it amazing? I have a wedge of cash to put in a bank and no one wants it!! No wonder there's a credit crunch..no where to stick your wedge!!! 4 years ago National bank (UK) weren't interested in 20 years of life savings to deposit into their NZ sister bank!!! ASB London took it very happily.