Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Open-return flights?

Open-return flights?

Old Sep 4th 2013, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Linguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to behold
Default Open-return flights?

Hi all,

Just a quick question, does anyone have any experience of getting an open return from Heathrown to Auckland (direct or with stopovers?)

Reason I ask is I've been looking at ticket prices, and with the price of air fares, I'd rather get my moneys worth and stay the full year, but the returns I've seen are only valid for 355 days. I know that there's only a 10 day difference, but as I've been known to be quite penny pinching, this doesn't appeal. I'd much rather use those final 10 days buying souvenirs for family/friends and exploring NZ before my return home.

I've also thought about going out one-way and taking a bank statement with me to prove I can pay for a flight back to London, but looking at other threads, it seems that would cause quite a bit of hassle with the airline/Immigration.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 4th 2013, 5:58 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Open-return flights?

Not sure about the flight question. Prices for open ended tickets are generally more expensive anyway as are those with return flights you can change. Might be worth trying a travel agent, we've always found that they end up cheaper than booking online but then we do tend to do less typical trips. They've never been more expensive-we go in knowing the online cost beforehand!
It means that you can speak to someone about the costs of changing the return flight and work out your options.
Return flights are usually very similar in cost to one way so buying them separately will waste more money.

And yes you could have problems at check in without a flight out of NZ. The NZIS website does mention having funds for a return if you don't have a ticket but it is the airline that enforces the rules, not immigration. They may not allow you to board at Heathrow if they are playing it safe. I have seen people have to buy tickets at the airport before getting a boarding pass-I had a quick look at the info NZIS provides to airlines and could see no mention of funds in lieu of a ticket. I wouldn't risk it personally.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Linguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to beholdLinguo1988 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for that Persephone, sounds like a travel agent might be a good idea, I'll look into it.

I did think that could be a problem, doesn't look like something I should risk.

Thanks.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

kiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to behold

Speak to the flight centre, have always found them to be helpful with stuff like this
Old Sep 5th 2013, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

Or trailfinders - they're good.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

ChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really nice

I spoke to flight centre about a similar thing recently and came to the conclusion that separate one-way tickets weren't that much different in price to a return. About $1250 (£650/700) each way. Of course, if the airline or another website does a promotion it may be different.

In terms of fees to change flights, I believe Singapore Airlines are reasonable but haven't looked into that with any of the others.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 7:31 am
JPA
Forum Regular

JPA is an unknown quantity at this point

Most Air NZ long-haul fares can be changed for an administration fee per passenger on the booking + the fare difference (if any).

I have done this previously and had this confirmed this lunchtime as we have had to jump on a plane back to the UK due to mums poor health.

This area is a minefield especially when booking discounted fares as they are often non-changeable and non-refundable. TO save yourself a massive head ache I would also suggest flight centre if Air NZ is a no go.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice all definately lots to think about. On a seperate yet related note, does anyone have any airline reccomendations with regards to air fares, better service etc?

Thanks again.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

kiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to beholdkiwi wanna be is a splendid one to behold

Again down to personal experience, Singapore Airlines are great as are air New Zealand.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linguo1988
...does anyone have any airline reccomendations with regards to air fares, better service etc?

Was really pleased with Emirates last time, Gatwick to Auckland. Good prices and generous luggage allowance. Nothing wrong with the service either. However, I'm not very tall or big, so seat widths and legroom aren't usually a factor for me. They might be for you.

For price comparisons on flights I always use: www.kayak.com/flights and then reserve seats on the airline websites using SeatGuru as a guide.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 6:50 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

We used Emirates last time we went to the UK and would definitely recommend them. Lots of food and good service. They also happened to be the cheapest and flew from Chch to Newcastle which was perfect for us at each end They also fly from Manchester and Birmingham which might be easier to get to than London if you're in Wales.
You do transfer at Dubai and Sydney so two stops.
Air NZ were also fine to travel on though I did dislike the stop at Los Angeles
We went by Thai Air once-the plane from London to Bangkok was old and a bit rundown. The plane from Bangkok to Auckland was good. Not sure why such a difference in standards!
Old Sep 5th 2013, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Persephone! Ah, didn't realise that other airports nearer to me offered flights to NZ, there's me thinking I'd have to get to Heathrow somehow. Thanks for the heads up.

Why weren't you happy with the stop at LA, if you don't mind my asking?

That does sound strange, you wouldn't think that 2 planes owned by the same airline would be quite so different.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

ChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really nice

+1 for Singapore Airlines from Chch, they're very good. From Auckland Malaysian are also very good.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 1:46 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

It depends what you want with airlines

Personally, I prefer to fly with one stop over hence avoiding Emirates. They're a very good airline, one of the best in my opinion but the amount of stop overs can be a bit too much. We flew with them when we went to Sri Lanka and the way back to Christchurch, we stopped at 3 airports before landing at Christchurch. I think with all their NZ flights from Britain via Dubai, they all stop at Sydney minimum.

Singapore Changi airport is the best airport in the world in my opinion. Better than Dubai, better than Bangkok, better than Kuala Lumpur. You're never bored there if you have a long wait. Plenty of shops to visit, plenty of activities, you can go for a tour round Singapore, its a brilliant airport.

Your best bets would be to fly with Air New Zealand, Singapore, Thai, Malaysia, Korean or Cathay Pacific if your heading to Auckland. Both have their positives and negatives but all are decent airlines. Korean is heading out of the way but they are a very good airline. Would never have said that 15 years ago mind

If you are ok with 2 or more stops, then Qantas, Emirates etc could be worth using. You're more likely to be on the A380 with them all the time
Old Sep 6th 2013, 6:25 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

I am a fan of Jet Star.

Singapore to Auckland is approx $300/one way.

Singapore is also a great hub to explore Asia before you arrive. They have direct flights to Koh Samui for example, you can 2-3 weeks of island hopping in Thailand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.