British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Only in Britain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/only-britain-767927/)

bourbon-biscuit Aug 13th 2012 3:55 am

Re: Only in Britain

Originally Posted by BlackCrossInResidence (Post 10223917)
Daily Mail readership is 9 times that of the Guardian and 15 that of the Independent.

So, a lot of people think they are doing something right.

So what? :blink:

The Daily Mail has massive pictures and simple sentences, whereas both the actual newspapers you refer to tend to write proper articles and assume a bit of intellect from their readers. Most people are idiots, this doesn't surprise me.

BlackCrossInResidence Aug 13th 2012 9:23 am

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 10223985)

..... Most people are idiots......

Including egotists that make comments like that.

bourbon-biscuit Aug 13th 2012 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by BlackCrossInResidence (Post 10224331)
Including egotists that make comments like that.

I'd rather be an egotistical Guardian reader than an idiot DM reader ;)

chris955 Aug 13th 2012 9:02 pm

No-one with half a brain would read the Daily Mail, actually it probably helps to only have half a brain.

BEVS Aug 13th 2012 10:43 pm

I'll possibly read whatever newspaper comes to hand , regardless.
I have a well functioning brain IMVHO :sneaky:
I am not a newspaper snoberelly.

I've also been known to read New Scientist one minute and Womens Weekly the next. :p

bourbon-biscuit Aug 13th 2012 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10225914)
I'll possibly read whatever newspaper comes to hand , regardless.
I have a well functioning brain IMVHO :sneaky:
I am not a newspaper snoberelly.

I've also been known to read New Scientist one minute and Womens Weekly the next. :p

Nowt wrong with a bit of trash from time to time (or more often!), but the DM stoops to new lows with its slant on the world. I've got eclectic reading tastes too- enjoy Sex in the City, love reading waiting room mags, read my local paper cover to cover and I'm not adverse to a trashy romance novel if the mood takes me too, for example. But the DM is (allegedly) a newspaper and does its very best to portray the world through its nasty right-wing, women-hating, racist, homophobic lens.

My comment was in response to a post that stated that the DM's large readership somehow implies the DM is "doing something right". Looking back, I can see a lot of examples from history that teach us might ain't always right, so that argument seems stupid, to me.

Anyways, I'll leave my contribution there, but my point wasn't that there's anything wrong with light reading- far from it- just that the DM does not come under the category of a harmless light read, imo.

BEVS Aug 13th 2012 11:19 pm

The DM clearly isn't for you & probably not for me either :lol:

I confess. I haven't seen or read the DM in donkey's years. I haven't looked at the linky. Perhaps I should take a peek. I draw the line at trashy romance novels, my eyes just slide off the pages :zzz: & probably won't be reading 50 shades of grime.

What is objectionable is the way a national daily paper could and would seek to influence a nation & government. But therein lies another debate.

Sorry OP. Off topic I know.

bourbon-biscuit Aug 13th 2012 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10225956)
I draw the line at trashy romance novels, my eyes just slide off the pages :zzz:

When I was pregnant it was all I could handle (hence having read all the Sex in the City books!) :D Full kudos to these people who hold down jobs and do uni courses when pregnant!

As for 50 shades of nonsense- pah!

Tom1983 Aug 14th 2012 2:21 am

Originally Posted by BlackCrossInResidence (Post 10223917)
Daily Mail readership is 9 times that of the Guardian and 15 that of the Independent.

So, a lot of people think they are doing something right.

It's not surprising that to be fair

Especially when The Sun is still the most popular read newspaper back in Britain

I won't resort into commenting on the standard of the British Media. The only one worth time is the Telegraph after their reporting on the expenses scandal but that's pushing it

It's nice to read them with an open mind, at least. It's quite funny logging onto the Mail, Guardian and the Evening Standard website in particular. The Guardian is always worth a read if they allow comments on a Tony Blair article :D

TommyLuck Aug 14th 2012 9:56 am

Sorry, can't read the article, the synapses from my brain just don't allow my finger to click on and link in to that good awful excuse for a newspaper.