British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   One thing.....just one (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/one-thing-just-one-493118/)

teambwr47 Nov 11th 2007 3:30 am

One thing.....just one

We love this country so far, it suits us down to the ground.....we're here to stay.......things are done differently in many respects but then its not the UK or Europe so thats fine.

One of the only things thats really hacking me off is the flies.........:curse:

Jeeeezzz those little black ones (sandfly) are annoying and boy do the bites itch......if it ain't them its the ones with the buzziest buzz i've heard anywhere, the brown coloured ones..

We didn't really get bothered by them when we lived in a more built up area but now we're on a farm they're a real pain or rather itch in..... not the arse but mainly the ankles.:thumbdown:

Anyone got any tips on how to put off the sandflys..........:confused:

Any good anti sandfly treatments out there?

It says on NZ sites to cover up is the only way, but summer days wandering around with long socks pulled up as high as they will go, while wearing shorts is so 'uncool'.....:rofl:

nero Nov 11th 2007 5:08 am

Re: One thing.....just one

Originally Posted by niseysOH (Post 5539562)
We love this country so far, it suits us down to the ground.....we're here to stay.......things are done differently in many respects but then its not the UK or Europe so thats fine.

One of the only things thats really hacked me off is the flies.........:curse:

Jeeeezzz those little black ones (sandfly) are annoying and boy do the bites itch......if it ain't them its the ones with the buzziest buzz i've heard anywhere, the brown coloured ones..

We didn't really get bothered by them when we lived in a more built up area but now we're on a farm they're a real pain or rather itch in..... not the arse but mainly the ankles.:thumbdown:

Anyone got any tips on how to put off the sandflys..........:confused:

Any good anti sandfly treatments out there?

It says on NZ sites to cover up is the only way, but summer days wandering around with long socks pulled up as high as they will go, while wearing shorts is so 'uncool'.....:rofl:

80% DEET is the only thing that I have found that makes the sand flies leave me alone. Now I know that some will say that DEET is a carciogenic so you may wish to look into how annoying the itch is.

For treating bites the clicker is very good - it gives you a small electric shock. I think it just takes your mind off one pain with another.

Hope this gives you some ideas :-)

donnaf Nov 11th 2007 5:28 am

Vitamin B1 supplements - sandflies hate it. Take 1 - 2 tablets daily - it works, we used it last year, once you've used it for a couple of weeks it stays in your system so you don't have to take it daily. Definitely recommend it!

lapsed kiwi Nov 11th 2007 5:50 am

Or eat lots of vegemite/marmite

spackster Nov 11th 2007 6:31 am

Originally Posted by donnaf (Post 5539722)
Vitamin B1 supplements - sandflies hate it. Take 1 - 2 tablets daily - it works, we used it last year, once you've used it for a couple of weeks it stays in your system so you don't have to take it daily. Definitely recommend it!

Thats not working for me!!! At the moment I'm breakfast, dinner and tea for the little buggers!!!! It reminds me of one scene out of Lord of the rings, ("what do they eat when they cant get hobbit?") or in my case Spackster!:unsure:

garryhg Nov 11th 2007 6:34 am

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi (Post 5539796)
Or eat lots of vegemite/marmite

think i would rather have the electric shock:rofl:

lardyl Nov 11th 2007 7:11 am

Originally Posted by donnaf (Post 5539722)

Had improved results with this ourselves, when we were in Africa we used "Walkabout" a citronella-based repellent that did not burn the skin like the heavyweight DEET did (DEET also has a bad effect on plastic items like cameras and lenses!). Is the problem inside or out? If inside then an annual spray might be the answer - check out the wellow pages, but avoid the real cheapo guys as they can get nasty results and have been known to damage houses :ohmy:

teambwr47 Nov 11th 2007 7:56 am

The problem is just outside and only on the grassed area's around the house where me and my eldest daughter have our football pitch set up....:mad:

If we sit around the patio tables it doesn't seem that the little biters are that bothered.....its like they say 'come on the grass and you're dinner pal'.

Made me laugh the vitamin supplement idea......
Does it just dull your reactions to the bites......does it make you emit some nasty to sandfly smell......i don't know:confused:

I had an image of the sandflies flying around saying to each other 'don't go there mate he tastes of vitamin B1' :rofl::rofl:

Yotty Nov 11th 2007 9:24 am

I think the painful bit is the chemical the blighters inject to stop your blood from clotting while they suck it out.:ohmy:

Ted Logan Nov 11th 2007 10:11 am

Ain't a problem here :p

Yotty Nov 11th 2007 10:30 am

I never had a problem in the "Garden City" either Ted, just on trips to the West Coast.:)

thegl Nov 11th 2007 11:18 am

This is a bit of a revelation for me - thought you didn't really get bugged by bugs in NZ and that was one of its advantages!

Pinkie Pie Nov 11th 2007 12:56 pm

Have you tried Avon Skin So Soft?... I'm not sure if you'd be able to get hold of this in NZ but it works for the midges in Scotland...it might work for sandflies too...it sells by the bucketload in the Highlands...:)

jill1420 Nov 11th 2007 3:01 pm

Yeah......I was going to say 'skin so soft' by Avon as well. They sell it in most golf pro shops in Scotland for midges. Really weird how some folk are affected and others arent.............I dont get bitten at all :D but when I was in Oz at xmas my hubby, my friend and her OH were covered with bites and they all had varying degrees from hives to weeping sores...............weird!:eek:

McGowans Nov 11th 2007 5:34 pm

This is one thing that has concerned us and we've asked about it before as OH is severeley allergic to bites and that's just in the UK.

The B1 makes the body emit a smell, don't ask me how, OH found it worked some years ago, but his breath wasn't pleasant!:rofl: