Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

One thing.....just one

One thing.....just one

Old Nov 11th 2007, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold
Default One thing.....just one

We love this country so far, it suits us down to the ground.....we're here to stay.......things are done differently in many respects but then its not the UK or Europe so thats fine.

One of the only things thats really hacking me off is the flies.........:curse:

Jeeeezzz those little black ones (sandfly) are annoying and boy do the bites itch......if it ain't them its the ones with the buzziest buzz i've heard anywhere, the brown coloured ones..

We didn't really get bothered by them when we lived in a more built up area but now we're on a farm they're a real pain or rather itch in..... not the arse but mainly the ankles.

Anyone got any tips on how to put off the sandflys..........

Any good anti sandfly treatments out there?

It says on NZ sites to cover up is the only way, but summer days wandering around with long socks pulled up as high as they will go, while wearing shorts is so 'uncool'.....

Last edited by teambwr47; Nov 11th 2007 at 5:16 am. Reason: edited with bold as they've been biting again today....lol
Old Nov 11th 2007, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One thing.....just one

Originally Posted by niseysOH
We love this country so far, it suits us down to the ground.....we're here to stay.......things are done differently in many respects but then its not the UK or Europe so thats fine.

One of the only things thats really hacked me off is the flies.........:curse:

Jeeeezzz those little black ones (sandfly) are annoying and boy do the bites itch......if it ain't them its the ones with the buzziest buzz i've heard anywhere, the brown coloured ones..

We didn't really get bothered by them when we lived in a more built up area but now we're on a farm they're a real pain or rather itch in..... not the arse but mainly the ankles.

Anyone got any tips on how to put off the sandflys..........

Any good anti sandfly treatments out there?

It says on NZ sites to cover up is the only way, but summer days wandering around with long socks pulled up as high as they will go, while wearing shorts is so 'uncool'.....
80% DEET is the only thing that I have found that makes the sand flies leave me alone. Now I know that some will say that DEET is a carciogenic so you may wish to look into how annoying the itch is.

For treating bites the clicker is very good - it gives you a small electric shock. I think it just takes your mind off one pain with another.

Hope this gives you some ideas :-)
Old Nov 11th 2007, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

Vitamin B1 supplements - sandflies hate it. Take 1 - 2 tablets daily - it works, we used it last year, once you've used it for a couple of weeks it stays in your system so you don't have to take it daily. Definitely recommend it!
Old Nov 11th 2007, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Or eat lots of vegemite/marmite
Old Nov 11th 2007, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

spackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by donnaf
Vitamin B1 supplements - sandflies hate it. Take 1 - 2 tablets daily - it works, we used it last year, once you've used it for a couple of weeks it stays in your system so you don't have to take it daily. Definitely recommend it!
Thats not working for me!!! At the moment I'm breakfast, dinner and tea for the little buggers!!!! It reminds me of one scene out of Lord of the rings, ("what do they eat when they cant get hobbit?") or in my case Spackster!

Last edited by spackster; Nov 11th 2007 at 6:58 am. Reason: Just correcting the wifes spelling, Adie ;)
Old Nov 11th 2007, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Or eat lots of vegemite/marmite
think i would rather have the electric shock
Old Nov 11th 2007, 7:11 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donnaf
Had improved results with this ourselves, when we were in Africa we used "Walkabout" a citronella-based repellent that did not burn the skin like the heavyweight DEET did (DEET also has a bad effect on plastic items like cameras and lenses!). Is the problem inside or out? If inside then an annual spray might be the answer - check out the wellow pages, but avoid the real cheapo guys as they can get nasty results and have been known to damage houses
Old Nov 11th 2007, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

The problem is just outside and only on the grassed area's around the house where me and my eldest daughter have our football pitch set up....

If we sit around the patio tables it doesn't seem that the little biters are that bothered.....its like they say 'come on the grass and you're dinner pal'.

Made me laugh the vitamin supplement idea......
Does it just dull your reactions to the bites......does it make you emit some nasty to sandfly smell......i don't know

I had an image of the sandflies flying around saying to each other 'don't go there mate he tastes of vitamin B1'
Old Nov 11th 2007, 9:24 am
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the painful bit is the chemical the blighters inject to stop your blood from clotting while they suck it out.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 10:11 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Ain't a problem here
Old Nov 11th 2007, 10:30 am
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

I never had a problem in the "Garden City" either Ted, just on trips to the West Coast.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 11:18 am
Just Joined

thegl is a jewel in the roughthegl is a jewel in the roughthegl is a jewel in the roughthegl is a jewel in the rough

This is a bit of a revelation for me - thought you didn't really get bugged by bugs in NZ and that was one of its advantages!
Old Nov 11th 2007, 12:56 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried Avon Skin So Soft?... I'm not sure if you'd be able to get hold of this in NZ but it works for the midges in Scotland...it might work for sandflies too...it sells by the bucketload in the Highlands...
Old Nov 11th 2007, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of

Yeah......I was going to say 'skin so soft' by Avon as well. They sell it in most golf pro shops in Scotland for midges. Really weird how some folk are affected and others arent.............I dont get bitten at all but when I was in Oz at xmas my hubby, my friend and her OH were covered with bites and they all had varying degrees from hives to weeping sores...............weird!
Old Nov 11th 2007, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

McGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really nice

This is one thing that has concerned us and we've asked about it before as OH is severeley allergic to bites and that's just in the UK.

The B1 makes the body emit a smell, don't ask me how, OH found it worked some years ago, but his breath wasn't pleasant!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.