Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

One for the Nurses

One for the Nurses

Old Aug 15th 2007, 9:16 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice
Default One for the Nurses

Hello All,
I am having a telephone interview tomorrow night for a theatre job and I would really appreciate a few tips to help me prepare. What are the current big issues in New Zealand health, etc that may feature?

Lying on the settee watching the telly I was when the call came, I'm still in a state of shock

Any help will be appreciated.

ned
Old Aug 15th 2007, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

jackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nice
Default Re: One for the Nurses

Can't help you I'm afraid as I am still "thinking" of emigrating. However as a nurse myself I will be really interested to read your replies.
No doubt someone will reply to your post shortly, thay are a helpful bunch
I am sure it will go well although my friend who was interviewed about 2 years ago was on the phone for a few hours apparently.
Good Luck
Jackie
Old Aug 15th 2007, 9:30 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, good luck with the interview. have you tried looking on www.moh.govt.nz website for ministry of health, has tons of info that might come in handy
Old Aug 15th 2007, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

My telephone interview was a very relaxed affair with my manager and someone form HR. It's very off putting not being able to assess how your answer is being received with lack of physical presence. I tried to write down answers and had all my paperwork spread in a u shape around me in the middle of the floor, though I found it easier answering whilst pacing.

It's the usual type of questions, nothing of suprise, though they were pleased I had researched the hospital, the area it covered, and national stats. The only thing they brought up that i knew nothing about was the Wiatangi agreement and what that meant in the diffrence of treatment of pts.

Anyway some examples

1(a) What motivated you to apply for this role?

1(b) How have you demonstrated your commitment to quality in your current or previous roles?
• What quality standards and measures do you set for yourself? ( your team and other people that you work with?) (Probe to determine how they ensure that people are clear about the standards required).
• What processes do you use to monitor the quality of outputs?

2(a) Who are the people in your [current workplace] your role requires you to communicate with? How (and how often) do you communicate with them? How do you get information from them? How do you know whether you are meeting their needs?

2(b) What have been your most challenging groups of people or individuals to develop effective relationships with? Why were they challenging? What strategies did you use to develop an effective relationship?

2(c) In your day-to-day work do you change the way you communicate with people depending on who you are speaking to? (Probe to assess the range of people they communicate with, what changes they make to their communication style and why they make the changes).

3(a) What is your procedure for keeping track of items requiring your attention? Can you describe a recent situation where this procedure was particularly useful in helping you keep a variety of work issues on track (i.e. you were dealing with a number of complex work issues at the same time)? (Probe to determine the situation and the candidate’s actions).

3(b) Sometimes when you’re really busy at work, it seems that everything that can go wrong does. Tell us about a time you were in a situation like that. How did you distinguish the critical issues from the non-critical ones? What happened as a result?

4(a) What strategies do you use to ensure that your staff are clear about the standards of work expected of them?
• Can you describe for us a recent situation where you had to establish performance objectives for an individual or team?
• How did you go about it? What happened as a result?

4(b) Tell us about a time when a member of your staff was not performing to expectations.
• What did you do?
• What was the outcome?

4(c) What strategies do you use to foster teamwork and co-operation with your staff?
• Could tell us about a recent time where you had to promote teamwork and co-operation?
• What did you do? What happened as a result? (Probe to determine the measures they used to evaluate the effectiveness of the teamwork).

5(a) In your current role, what challenging goals have you set yourself (and your team)? (Probe to ascertain what made the specific goals challenging).
• How did you go about achieving the goals?
• What was the outcome?

5(b) What feedback have you received about your performance at work recently (i.e. over the last 12 months)?
• How did you react to that feedback?
• What did you do as a result of receiving the feedback?

5(c) What actions have you taken recently to learn new skills and abilities? (Probe to establish how challenging the actions were, whether they ‘extended’ the applicant outside their comfort zone, etc).
• What has happened as a result of your actions?

5(d) What type of stress do you experience in your current job? (Probe to assess whether the stress is related to people or activities, etc). Do your work colleagues observe when you are under more stress than usual? What strategies do you use to manage your stress?

I work in ICU and these question were not from my interview but were from a NZ hospital, Gives you an idea. Good Luck
Old Aug 15th 2007, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

jackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nice

Excellent post Owen
Old Aug 15th 2007, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

nickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ned
Hello All,
I am having a telephone interview tomorrow night for a theatre job and I would really appreciate a few tips to help me prepare. What are the current big issues in New Zealand health, etc that may feature?

Lying on the settee watching the telly I was when the call came, I'm still in a state of shock

ned
Hi

We both had telephone interviews last year. Don't panic, they are much more relaxed than the uk equivalent. The pause due to phone lines/time difference whatever is a little off putting at times. Remember they may not be pausing for more info but simply they are having a time delay.

Treaty of Waitangi stuff, in a very small nutshell, you will not be expected to know heaps about it, but it is about cultural identity and being 'culturally safe' (the nz buzz word) in your clinical practice. Hands on it means allowing holistic care, treating everyone as individuals, realising the huge importance of involving family in maori health provision. Your answers to any cultural questions should include that you realise you have loads to learn as you are joining a whole new health and cultural setting.

Remember they WANT you, they are just checking basics really, have a glass of wine sat besides your crib notes. GOODLUCK, you'll be fine.

Nicola
Old Aug 16th 2007, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ned
Hello All,

ned
Probably too late ned but this may help

3 articles of the Treaty of Waitangi and how they relate to health

Partnership refers to an ongoing relationship between the Crown, its agencies and Iwi. It means that Maori need to share in decision making about the nature of their health services, with this leading to increased Maori control over their own health.

Protection creates an obligation for the Crown to actively protect Maori and their interests. In health, this is about health promotion and preventive strategies, and it implies the State will seek out opportunities to enhance Maori health.

Participation is about equality of opportunity and outcomes, and emphasises positive Maori involvement in health care services at all levels.

Link for further info -

http://www.nathaniel.org.nz/?sid=58
Old Aug 16th 2007, 7:28 am
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

Thanks for all of your good wishes and advice. Interview tonight, will keep you posted

ned
Old Aug 16th 2007, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

mondieu will become famous soon enoughmondieu will become famous soon enough

C`mon Ned !!!!!!!!!! I can`t wait any longer!!!!?
Old Aug 16th 2007, 1:29 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

The interview is at 08:30 Friday New Zealand time.
21:30 Thursday in Blighty
Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:21 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ned
The interview is at 08:30 Friday New Zealand time.
21:30 Thursday in Blighty

You off the phone yet ????

How was it ???
Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

pauliz will become famous soon enoughpauliz will become famous soon enough

Just logged in as I was on a late shift tonight . Im too late to say good luck but Im probably the first to say congrats Ned.Hope it went ok.

Just being nosey what field of nursing are you all in? Im a mental health nurse.
Liz
Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:52 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

WELL.............................................. .

I got the call at 9:30 as promised and............................

The bloke interviewing wasn't available.
rescheduled for next tuesday
Old Aug 16th 2007, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

I would be so stressed - all that preparation and tension. What an anti climax
You seem to have taken it well which will stand you in good stead for all the frustrations that inevitably lie ahead in your quest to emigrate
Good luck for next week - keep us posted!
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:12 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ned
WELL.............................................. .

I got the call at 9:30 as promised and............................

The bloke interviewing wasn't available.
rescheduled for next tuesday

NOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!! :curse::curse:

Do you want me to send the girls round to sort them out!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.