Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

One for the ladies - Contraception sort of (you have been warned)

One for the ladies - Contraception sort of (you have been warned)

Old Oct 7th 2013, 4:11 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default One for the ladies - Contraception sort of (you have been warned)

does anyone know if they do the injection over here?

had a quick google and came up with a kiwifamilies that tell me a lot but it doesn't show anything for injection.

Mind you don't actually need it for contraception just to lessen or stop the darn monthly shows. Does the injection even do that?

At the moment Dr has put me on Cerazette for 3mths to see how that goes.

anyone have any advice they are willing to share ?
Old Oct 7th 2013, 5:09 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One for the ladies - Contraception sort of (you have been warned)

I take Tranexamic acid as prescribed by my doctor. It helps me manage heavy, painful periods. It works really well. It's not a contraceptive.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Oct 7th 2013 at 5:14 am. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 7th 2013, 5:26 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

"acid" in the name may be a no no for me since the Dr prescribed diclofenac without the stomach protection drug I have no stomach lining at the moment and am having to be really careful with what I eat and drink and have no idea when things will get better.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 5:28 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

I'm on carezette too. I have no periods at all. The good thing about that pill is that if you want more kids (as I do), the day you stop taking it you can become pregnant practically straight away! ( well you have to do the obvious too)

I've had no problems on that pill. I put weight on when I was on the injection. I also don't get moody on this pill. I know that seems hard to believe judging by some of my previous posts!
Old Oct 7th 2013, 5:38 am

thanks Pippa - the lack of moods will please MrF, let's hope it helps me with that as well. Main reason to go on them really is MrF moans about me a week before every month then during every other month
Old Oct 7th 2013, 5:42 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
"acid" in the name may be a no no for me since the Dr prescribed diclofenac without the stomach protection drug I have no stomach lining at the moment and am having to be really careful with what I eat and drink and have no idea when things will get better.
Sorry about that. It's not funny, really it isn't.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the injection is available here. Called Depo Provera, given every 12 weeks. Most people using it have some irregular bleeding for the first few weeks, then it settles & no bleeding for the duration of time that you're using it. Please note I said most people, a few are more sensitive ( or should that be less sensitive) to it, & can have prolonged bleeding with it. Happy to give more info if you have any other questions. That said technically it's only licensed for use as a contraceptive, not sure how comfortable your GP would be prescribing it to control bleeding, that, naturally, depends on your doctor.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 6:36 am

thanks for that, I read the family planning write up on it and it does say for excessive bleeding so may be able to get it. would have to weigh up the costs if the Dr will allow it against the pros and cons of use. possible reduction in endometrial cancer but then loss of bone density.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 7:23 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

thanks Pippa - the lack of moods will please MrF, let's hope it helps me with that as well. Main reason to go on them really is MrF moans about me a week before every month then during every other month
<politecough> Sounds to me like MrF might be the one in need of an injection
Old Oct 7th 2013, 7:29 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I agree. I really agree and more than that I agree.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 7:40 am

hehehe - I do tell him that at those time I am just a little less tolerant of him so in actual fact it is all his own fault.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

kiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for that, I read the family planning write up on it ...
Couldn't resist a sticky beak at this post - the title intrigued me. I thought you might like a smile so here's our story (guaranteed true).

My wife hales from Hemel Hempstead in Hertfordshire and we lived there after our marriage. Like most young couples at the time who were not quite ready for kids, she attended the local Family Planning Clinic and went on the pill.
You should know that Hertfordshire (abb.Herts) and the adjoining county of Bedfordshire (abb.Beds) share many social services. The cover of my wife's appointment card proudly displayed the words;
"Family Planning Association - Herts and Beds Branch".

It was only much later I discovered that Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire are known as the 'honeymoon counties'.
Pete
Old Oct 31st 2013, 10:16 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Old Nov 4th 2013, 7:25 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

the mirena IUD is also an option. lasts for years
It was offered to me when things became really bad, and I the pill and I were no longer on speaking terms.
Didn't go for it in the end, went for a more permanent option but lots of people swear by it.