Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

One for the ladies...

One for the ladies...

Old Dec 11th 2006, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

DiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to all
Default One for the ladies...

.... well maybe some of the guys too?

Just a quick question regarding hair straighteners. Mine packed up on me last night and I was going to go and get some new ones today when I suddenly thought - will they work in NZ? The reason I ask is because of the power difference. I have used some in the States before with an adaptor but they just wouldn't get hot enough. Can anyone offer any advise pleeeease as I don't want to waste my money if they will be useless once I get there.

Thanks in advance!

Amy
Old Dec 11th 2006, 9:30 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One for the ladies...

its the same power here 240v - mine work fine, so does everything!
Old Dec 11th 2006, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

DiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
its the same power here 240v - mine work fine, so does everything!
Thats great thanks! So just the sockets that are different rather than the actual power? Loads of adapters needed then!
Old Dec 11th 2006, 1:10 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you got some help. I have the world's straightest hair, so a hair straightener would be the last thing I'd buy!

Now I'm wondering if that kind of appliance, made for the US and used with an adapter in NZ, would get *too* hot, if a UK one used in the US didn't get hot enough (clear as mud, I know ).
Old Dec 11th 2006, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Maz
Glad you got some help. I have the world's straightest hair, so a hair straightener would be the last thing I'd buy!

Now I'm wondering if that kind of appliance, made for the US and used with an adapter in NZ, would get *too* hot, if a UK one used in the US didn't get hot enough (clear as mud, I know ).
Hhhmmmm I see what you mean. I couldn't even hazard a guess on this one I'm afraid. I guess the thermostat kicks in no matter what the power input is to stop them getting too hot but I wouldn't rely on my guess work! I wouldn't want to be held responsible for hair meltdown!!
Old Dec 11th 2006, 6:52 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DiffordA
Thats great thanks! So just the sockets that are different rather than the actual power? Loads of adapters needed then!
Yeh!! When you get here you'll spend what seems like weeks changing all your plugs over ( the adaptors are expensive!) The plugs are cheap but not too great. Does anyone know where to get ones that are not side thingied? We still have a couple of things to change. Sad but true - the first one I changed was the hoover

Havent bothered with the hair straighteners as I dont really need them to drive the tractor! heehee
Old Dec 11th 2006, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
Yeh!! When you get here you'll spend what seems like weeks changing all your plugs over ( the adaptors are expensive!) The plugs are cheap but not too great. Does anyone know where to get ones that are not side thingied? We still have a couple of things to change. Sad but true - the first one I changed was the hoover

Havent bothered with the hair straighteners as I dont really need them to drive the tractor! heehee
Ooohh that is useful to know thanks. I had images of us carrying a suitcase full of adaptors over with us!

Does this mean that if we changed the plug on a 4 gang extension lead (for example) we could then plug our english plugs into that ok?
Old Dec 11th 2006, 9:45 pm
A land far far away

Does this mean that if we changed the plug on a 4 gang extension lead (for example) we could then plug our english plugs into that ok?
You can and thats what we did - took 2 with us - but I didnt feel happy with that long term. Also ( and I have no idea if its true as I never checked it out) but i heard that it can have a bad effect on your insurance ( house) if you have loads of extensions with uk plugs. ( Am I talking b@##@^s??) Does anyone know if this is true?
Old Dec 11th 2006, 10:05 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Ooohh that is useful to know thanks. I had images of us carrying a suitcase full of adaptors over with us!
thats what we are planning for small appliances and the chargers, etc. Friends in France do the same thing on lots of appliances esp. tools.
I'm taking some UK faceplates to change over those outlets in NZ once I have my own place!! - who cares about wiring regs? eh?