British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   OMG we have our PR visas!!!!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/omg-we-have-our-pr-visas-651409/)

forshy Jan 26th 2010 7:31 pm

OMG we have our PR visas!!!!!!!

Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know that we received our passpports back today:thumbsup:
I feel a bit shell shocked to be honest as now we plan a final date for our move in march 2010 to the North Shore.

Just a few things i would like to ask:

1 - ANY advice!!!!!!!
2 - we are bringing over our dog and need to get the ball rolling v soon any people you would recommend?
3 - Is there any advise on renting out your house in the UK??????? pitfalls that we may not have considered tax etc.
4 - anything you would ship over ie Television - we were advised to buy a new one here and ship over?????:confused:
5 - any advice on shipping what not to take and what to defo take - does anyone have a list?:unsure:
6 - what would you have done differently now you have been through it????
7 - I need a meet up and a drink when i get there :fingerscrossed:
8 - we are wanting to rent initially ( we are renting house out in Uk and have some equity to release) any advice re mortgages, credit cards etc.

Thank you all for your support during this rollercoaster ride - believe me i am holding on!:ohmy:

forshy

HHBoP Jan 26th 2010 7:35 pm

Re: OMG we have our PR visas!!!!!!!

Hi Forshy

Well done! Amazin feeling isn't it!!! Am moving 2 cats with me - am headed over in March. Am using Golden Arrow Shipping in Shropshire - can't tell u my experience as that has yet to happen, but the do come highly recommended.

hth and good luck

Cheers
HH

forshy Jan 26th 2010 7:38 pm

Thanks I actually have a quote off them - they are one of the most expensive, but I am informed one of the best! your at my stage then I guess we are in the same rollercoaster carriage!:thumbup:
forshy

HHBoP Jan 26th 2010 7:53 pm

Yup, that would explain the feeling in my stomach. now I have settled on a date, well almost, that train suddenly runs like those bullet trains in Japan!!!! i am also told it is only gonna get faster..........

cheers hhbop

Numptyhead Jan 26th 2010 7:57 pm

Hi Alison

Congratulations...so pleased for you

We used Golden Arrow who were more expensive but brilliant and took all my fears away for my precious cargo.

We bought a new TV in the UK and have shipped it over. (Not get it yet though:sneaky:). Prices are on a par if not better here. Basically my advice is, if you have a good one already, ship it over but don't bother with buying a new one there. IMO We saw a 46" all singing and dancing jobby in 'the warehouse' a few weeks ago for $999. Possibly the new year sale, can't remember now, but have just checked online and they currently have a 42" plasma for $1299......and there is a 42" plasma in 'currys'(UK) for £768 ($1752)

I did a list a few weeks ago..search under hand luggage.

I am a bit busy this morning so will write later. Personally, although I will be happy to see my container load of stuff (sh.....te), I wouldnt have bothered with so much. We have had to buy lots of second hand appliances etc to get by, whilst waiting for the container (it will have been 12 weeks) and we will now have 2 of so many things. Fridge, freezer, w.machine, beds etc. Either that or ship your UK stuff out much earlier so you only have to manage for perhaps a couple of weeks, but then you have to live over there without the stuff.:blink: As I said, personally I wouldn't have bothered

Great news. All the best
Maria x

AngelaandJim Jan 26th 2010 8:04 pm

Hi

Can't give advice as I'm not there yet just wanted to say congrats and good luck :thumbsup:

Angela x

MnB Jan 26th 2010 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by forshy (Post 8284557)
Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know that we received our passpports back today:thumbsup:
I feel a bit shell shocked to be honest as now we plan a final date for our move in march 2010 to the North Shore.

Just a few things i would like to ask:

1 - ANY advice!!!!!!!
2 - we are bringing over our dog and need to get the ball rolling v soon any people you would recommend?
3 - Is there any advise on renting out your house in the UK??????? pitfalls that we may not have considered tax etc.
4 - anything you would ship over ie Television - we were advised to buy a new one here and ship over?????:confused:
5 - any advice on shipping what not to take and what to defo take - does anyone have a list?:unsure:
6 - what would you have done differently now you have been through it????
7 - I need a meet up and a drink when i get there :fingerscrossed:
8 - we are wanting to rent initially ( we are renting house out in Uk and have some equity to release) any advice re mortgages, credit cards etc.

Thank you all for your support during this rollercoaster ride - believe me i am holding on!:ohmy:

forshy

Firstly CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!
Secondly don't panic!!!!!
and Thirdly Good luck!!!!
Just finished packing 6 boxes, 4 suitcases & 2 cabin bags (we fly Saturday)..... winter clothes, shoes, toiletries, bits n bobs... I'm sure there will be things I wish we had taken but NZ does have shops lol .... will just have to spend container money on buying secondhand kiwi stuff.
Finally & fourthly hang on in there, something very strange happens to time about two weeks before you leave!!!:eek:
B x

forshy Jan 26th 2010 8:07 pm

thanks Maria:) hope your settling in and not missing the rain:D

alison xxx

forshy Jan 26th 2010 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by MnB (Post 8284670)
Just finished packing 6 boxes, 4 suitcases & 2 cabin bags (we fly Saturday)..... winter clothes, shoes, toiletries, bits n bobs... I'm sure there will be things I wish we had taken but NZ does have shops lol .... will just have to spend container money on buying secondhand kiwi stuff.
Finally & fourthly hang on in there, something very strange happens to time about two weeks before you leave!!!:eek:
B x

I really need to get my act together then :thumbup:

forshy Jan 26th 2010 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by HHBoP (Post 8284624)
Yup, that would explain the feeling in my stomach. now I have settled on a date, well almost, that train suddenly runs like those bullet trains in Japan!!!! i am also told it is only gonna get faster..........

cheers hhbop

:blink: here goes the ride is going to get faster!!!!!! thanks for your support and good look to you too :D

forshy Jan 26th 2010 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by AngelaandJim (Post 8284665)
Hi

Can't give advice as I'm not there yet just wanted to say congrats and good luck :thumbsup:

Angela x

thanks soooo much all the support on here means so much as family and friends are not being that supportive at the mo:( I think dealing with us all leaving is difficult and i respect that
so thanks everyone:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumb up::thumbup:

Numptyhead Jan 26th 2010 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by MnB (Post 8284670)
B x

Barb,
You have packed some summer stuff haven't you. Its boiling hot here. Can't stop thinking about you and how you are doing, during your last few days :wub:

Wooly_Cow Jan 26th 2010 8:18 pm

Congrats....
[I]1 - ANY advice!!!!!!! - Big Topic....ummm how about ...take deep breaths and never forget why you are doing the move and that lifes one big adventure
2 - we are bringing over our dog and need to get the ball rolling v soon any people you would recommend? We used Airpets for our dog sized cat - remember to get all the tests and jabs in pleanty of time - your vet will advise you
3 - Is there any advise on renting out your house in the UK??????? pitfalls that we may not have considered tax etc. I think that overseas income can be tax free in NZ for the first 4 years BUT that you loose ceratin other tax breaks and benefits [/I]
4 - anything you would ship over ie Television - we were advised to buy a new one here and ship over????? as has been said before - if it's new then bring it - it'll work with the cable or sky tv here...if it's not DONT buy a new one...they are cheap enough ehre and will work with the different terrestrial system
5 - any advice on shipping what not to take and what to defo take - does anyone have a list? we brought everything - stored it all in our rental and sold excess stuff on trade me for a good price
6 - what would you have done differently now you have been through it???? nothing except transfer our money at 3 dollars to the pound and not what it is now!
7 - I need a meet up and a drink when i get there good idea but have to be a virtual one as you're going to JAFAland!
good idea to rent till you know where you want to live. Most renatls are for 6 or 12 months. be careful that you don't get into a 12 month contract and need to leave it earlier because this can be difficult. Be prepared that many rentals are of quite poor quality. Remember also if you are looking in summer that winters can be cold here so check insulation, hetaing, windows, damp etc. Houses look great in the sunshine but you need to think about when the wind and rain come!

Numptyhead Jan 26th 2010 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by forshy (Post 8284672)
thanks Maria:) hope your settling in and not missing the rain:D

alison xxx

Actually we could do with a bit more...for the garden;)

Wait till you feel that warm sun on ya back. Its relentless and wonderful x

forshy Jan 26th 2010 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow (Post 8284712)
Congrats....
[I]1 - ANY advice!!!!!!! - Big Topic....ummm how about ...take deep breaths and never forget why you are doing the move and that lifes one big adventure
2 - we are bringing over our dog and need to get the ball rolling v soon any people you would recommend? We used Airpets for our dog sized cat - remember to get all the tests and jabs in pleanty of time - your vet will advise you
3 - Is there any advise on renting out your house in the UK??????? pitfalls that we may not have considered tax etc. I think that overseas income can be tax free in NZ for the first 4 years BUT that you loose ceratin other tax breaks and benefits [/I]
4 - anything you would ship over ie Television - we were advised to buy a new one here and ship over????? as has been said before - if it's new then bring it - it'll work with the cable or sky tv here...if it's not DONT buy a new one...they are cheap enough ehre and will work with the different terrestrial system
5 - any advice on shipping what not to take and what to defo take - does anyone have a list? we brought everything - stored it all in our rental and sold excess stuff on trade me for a good price
6 - what would you have done differently now you have been through it???? nothing except transfer our money at 3 dollars to the pound and not what it is now!
7 - I need a meet up and a drink when i get there good idea but have to be a virtual one as you're going to JAFAland!
good idea to rent till you know where you want to live. Most renatls are for 6 or 12 months. be careful that you don't get into a 12 month contract and need to leave it earlier because this can be difficult. Be prepared that many rentals are of quite poor quality. Remember also if you are looking in summer that winters can be cold here so check insulation, hetaing, windows, damp etc. Houses look great in the sunshine but you need to think about when the wind and rain come!

just what i need thank you so much:thumbup: