Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

OK, so is this an actual thing here

OK, so is this an actual thing here

Old Aug 25th 2016, 3:58 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default OK, so is this an actual thing here

so had a coffee met today, lovely it was too, but I digress. One of the people there was a nutritionist there who was saying that people should be worming not only the animals but the kids and yourselves as well. Apparently once a year on your birthday, so you remember you should be popping a pill.

Is this really a thing that we should be telling people about or just an over enthusiastic nutritionist?
Old Aug 25th 2016, 5:17 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OK, so is this an actual thing here

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
so had a coffee met today, lovely it was too, but I digress. One of the people there was a nutritionist there who was saying that people should be worming not only the animals but the kids and yourselves as well. Apparently once a year on your birthday, so you remember you should be popping a pill.

Is this really a thing that we should be telling people about or just an over enthusiastic nutritionist?
I have never heard of this, in NZ or anywhere else. I'm frequently horrified at how medicalised our children's lives are becoming.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jmh
I have never heard of this, in NZ or anywhere else. I'm frequently horrified at how medicalised our children's lives are becoming.
Well, we periodically medicated our whole family for thread-worm when our kids were young. Isn't this still standard?

Last edited by MrsFychan; Aug 25th 2016 at 7:05 am. Reason: ooppss was trying to quote
Old Aug 25th 2016, 5:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I take most stuff said by nutritionists with a large pinch of salt. I'd rather take nutritional advice from a dietitian, in the same way that I prefer to go to a physiotherapist rather than a chiropractor.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 7:05 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoCarb
Well, we periodically medicated our whole family for thread-worm when our kids were young. Isn't this still standard?
yes thats what she was talking about, never heard of worming kids and how old do you go up to, I asked her this when she said about worming the kids and thats when she said that us adults should be doing it also.
She also said that as I am on anti depressants now I should be taking fish oils
Old Aug 25th 2016, 9:25 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Fish oil is a thing I think.

Not sure about this worming thing, have you been drinking from puddles or ditches?
Old Aug 25th 2016, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

yes thats what she was talking about, never heard of worming kids and how old do you go up to, I asked her this when she said about worming the kids and thats when she said that us adults should be doing it also.
Kids pick up worms in preschool to primary school but no hard and fast rule.
If they have recurring itchy bum it's a sure sign of thread worm being present.

The female worm lays her eggs at night around the anus and because it's itchy, you scratch and spread the contamination.
You can feel the little buggers while lying still in bed. Vermox tablets get rid of them.

re fish oils.
I think she was referring to lack of omega 3 being being associated with depression, so taking fish oil could help.

Personally, I found low-fat diets were a contributing factor and now use plenty of saturated animal fats (butter, dripping) and coconut oil etc.

I now totally avoid margarine and canola/soybean oil as they were not part of the human diet until the 20th century.
Old Aug 25th 2016, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of light

We had a dog and cats growing up and we all were wormed somewhat regularly, 1980s. We've had threadworms once when my daughter was in preschool, she was in agony, now I keep a packet of Ovex in the house just in case but in my experience there wasn't any doubt what the problem was ((boak)) so I don't know how its possible to have them and not know it!
Old Aug 25th 2016, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

As a child I had both thread and tapeworm and remember havng a nasty, nasty pink drink from the doctors. We lived in a rural area and had regular interaction with cats, dogs, sheep and cattle. As an adult I managed to pick up ringworm from some rescued kittens I was working with In every case it was obvious there was a problem and it was treated appropriately.

With all our animals our vets advise us to test for worm eggs and only use chemicals if the count goes very high as worms resistent to all the major chemical groups are now a severe problem. Doing regular worming with humans, whether they need it or not, would surely lead to the same problems.