Offer..!

Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:51 am
zen
Forum Regular

zen has a spectacular aura aboutzen has a spectacular aura aboutzen has a spectacular aura about
Question Offer..!

Well, i was at work on Thursday and my boss asked me if i would move to NZ working for the same company but for £40kSterling. Never been there, we've just signed for a house here and are on a 5 year fixed mortgage. Both me and hubby are split about the whole thing - neither of us know what to do. Sometimes i think it would be good for my daughter who's only young but not sure at all what we should do. If we were to go we'd have to settle in Wellington as thats where our company's based.. Any advice most welcome..!

x
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:06 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Offer..!

First of all, congratulations
Looks like you don't rush into things if you joined in 03 and have had your visa since 05
I don't think anyone can say anything that will make your mind up for you. We have thoroughly enjoyed our move - been here 9/10 months and wish everyone the same joy of their move that we have found in ours.
Sounds like you won't have to worry financially and that is a major sticking point for a lot of potential emigrants.
Good luck with whatever you decide, karma to you
Karen B
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:11 am
zen
Forum Regular

zen has a spectacular aura aboutzen has a spectacular aura aboutzen has a spectacular aura about

Sorry, the visa was granted for Australia not NZ. The whole NZ thing has come as a shock as it was my boss who put it to me.. we're in such a dilema.

x
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zen
Sorry, the visa was granted for Australia not NZ. The whole NZ thing has come as a shock as it was my boss who put it to me.. we're in such a dilema.

x
May I ask how old you child is?

I have many friends who have young children and they are also not sure on what to do. But from a mothers point of view I have said the same thing to each of them. When your child goes to school and you see the change in them, which you will, only then will you realise how important being away from here really is. Don't get me wrong, the UK education is very good, its the kids that are unruly, including mine, but thats what made our mind up for us.
I will never have the financial standing to give our kids a good start here, so our attitude was whats the best we can give them..........the chance to live in 3 of the best countries in the world....OZ, NZ and UK. Our eldest is 17 although we are very young parents, and it was seeing what the UK had to offer her and our others that made the decision for us.

Each to their own, but I feel my children deserve the best I can give.

Nici
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:41 am
zen
Forum Regular

My daughter has just turned 2 - she has such a lovely nature and i keep thinking that if we stay here she'll just end up selfish/disrespectful and losing her childhood quicker than you can say 'gone'! But i then keep thinking that what if NZ is just as bad.. it sooooo hard to know what to do for thebest.

x
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya.... thats kinda how it happened for us. My OH got offered a job in Auckland working for the same company... we started the proceedings but it all fell through the first time and we tried to forget about it. Then in December 04 he was offered the position again in Auckland. We said yes, he knew his new boss to be as he'd met him a few times before.

So we moved to Auckland over 2 years ago, bringing our 19 month son with us. He was going to be my last child too but heyho... now I have a 6 month baby girl... but shes definately my last!

Its worked out OK for us.... we gave it a go. If we hadnt we'd always wonder what it wouldve been like. I know it would be like that as he blamed me partly for not moving the first time... and during the next couple of years everytime NZ came on a programme... I'd have comments from him that we couldve been living in a beautiful/nice/different etc etc place like that too.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

BTW the kids Ive met here so far are lovely.... even the teenagers!!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:54 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zen
My daughter has just turned 2 - she has such a lovely nature and i keep thinking that if we stay here she'll just end up selfish/disrespectful and losing her childhood quicker than you can say 'gone'! But i then keep thinking that what if NZ is just as bad.. it sooooo hard to know what to do for thebest.

x
Ooh - what a position to be in! If I were you, I'd bite your bosses arm off! For 40k ukp, you'll live just fine out here for $$$'s, and a number of people think Welly rocks.

If you fancy it (and you obviously have considered the possibilities before) then why not give it a go. If you love it then great, and if you don't - well what a great adventure.

Good luck in making the decision, whichever way you decide to go.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

annbee has a spectacular aura aboutannbee has a spectacular aura aboutannbee has a spectacular aura about

Hi

I felt the same, when we applied and got accepted. My eldest is 8 and really dosent want to leave her friends and her school. She has had 18 months to get used to it and is now talking about what hobbies she wants to do when she gets there. We leave in 12 weeks and i know that it isnt going to be easy but as kato said, we are doing this for a better future for the children

Good luck with whatever you decide

Annxx
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

Personally I think you should give it a go!

You might be faced with a lot of 'what ifs' in the future if you don't! It could be the best decision you've ever made. Your daughter is certainly young enough for this adventure not to affect her and as mentioned in previous posts your OHs salary would certainly leave you with no financial worries!

If the rent you get on your UK house covers the mortgage, then you don't really have anything to stand in your way!

Go for it!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedMonsk
You might be faced with a lot of 'what ifs' in the future if you don't! It could be the best decision you've ever made. Your daughter is certainly young enough for this adventure not to affect her and as mentioned in previous posts your OHs salary would certainly leave you with no financial worries!
I agree... my son is 3 and a half now and doesnt understand the concept still of living in a different country. I try to explain it to him... his best mates just gone to UK for 9 weeks... but I dont think he really understands. Its a good age to move kids. My experience of pre-school and kindy here has been really good so far too. His teachers at kindy are lovely and he likes it there. Hes already getting invited to lots of birthday parties and trips to the park and thats how I meet people and make friends.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:23 am
zen
Forum Regular

Do anyone out there know of what we could do with our existing property.. like i said we have just signed up for a 5 year fixed rate deal. Not sure if we would have to pay tax or someothing if we rented it out..

Another one of my worries is how maternity pay works out out there.. i'm still wanting another child so thats a consideration to..

argh my head is about to explode.

x
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zen

x
Obviously all the above is only my opinion, but to have seen 1 daughter go through school and come out the other side I feel I have some experience.
She changed the moment she went to senior school. Not in a bad way, but in a grown up way totally what we wished she never done.
We would love our kids to be just that....kids.
I really feel as though NZ will give our youngest that chance and th eldest a new chance of a good life.

Nici
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by zen
Do anyone out there know of what we could do with our existing property.. like i said we have just signed up for a 5 year fixed rate deal. Not sure if we would have to pay tax or someothing if we rented it out..

Another one of my worries is how maternity pay works out out there.. i'm still wanting another child so thats a consideration to..

argh my head is about to explode.

x
Sorry cant help on the Mat pay stuff but Im sure somebody on here will be able to answer your questions.

I wasnt wanting another child as my birth experience in UK was a nightmare to be honest. But I went for it here and kinda demanded an elective c-section.... they totally supported me and my reasons.... my midwife was excellent... and everyone who looked after me at the hospital and afterwards in the Mat Unit were great. They even supported my decision to formula feed too which I was surprised about. I have nothing but praise for how it was all handled here. I'm really glad I managed to get over the trauma of the first birth and gave them a chance here.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:38 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zen
Hi there. We are renting our UK property right now. The rental covers the mortgage perfectly, and so we make a couple of quid a month profit on the whole deal.

Our property management company takes 10% of the gross monthly rental + vat, and we get the rest paid to us gross under the non-resident landlord scheme. As it is income earned in the UK, this does get taxed via an end of year thingy when I do it online from here in NZ and then make an online payment to them, but as we still have our uk pre-tax thresh-holds applying it should work out that we do nicely out of it and it will be near enough tax-free.

No probs so far (touch wood) and all going well. Would advise keeping a min of 3 or 4 months mortgage ready in a UK savings account in case the tenants piss off or the boiler breaks or something.

Only outgoings each year are house insurance (buildings only), the monthly mortgage payments, and the management fee.

If you can get a rental price that after tax covers the mortgage, then rent it and get out here. We did, and it's all good so far
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:50 am
zen
Forum Regular

excellent news about the renting. I thought we'd get taxed on the whole lot - not sure the profit part of it..! We probably wouldn't make much after the management companies fees/maintenance.. etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.