British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Odd stuff about NZ. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/odd-stuff-about-nz-738637/)

Bo-Jangles Nov 14th 2011 8:09 am

Re: Odd stuff about NZ.

Fireworks can only be sold on four days of the year - 2nd to 5th of November, because they are very dangerous. :rofl:

Shops open at midnight on 1st November to get a few more hours of selling time.

Nuts-R-US!!

lardyl Nov 14th 2011 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 9731483)
Fireworks can only be sold on four days of the year - 2nd to 5th of November, because they are very dangerous. :rofl:

Shops open at midnight on 1st November to get a few more hours of selling time.

Nuts-R-US!!

yeah and

people let them off for no reason over the next 3 or 4 weeks, or hoard them in their garages/kitchens/whatever, safe that is.........TBH seen more kids holding fireworks and letting them off over here in 5 years than I ever saw in the UK in 40 years there - she'll be right

of course then there are the BB guns/ammo (maybe they are real?) being sold in the dollar shop so the kids can have real fun for the rest of the year imitating the hunters on Hunting Aetearoa by going after boars in their local bit of bush. perhaps this isn't odd but it could be construed as dangerous :unsure:

liz_r Nov 15th 2011 7:44 pm

Re the fireworks - at least you guys get 4 days to buy your fireworks. In most Australian states, fireworks for personal use have been banned altogether for decades!!

mazandben Nov 15th 2011 8:53 pm

Black pudding in the same chiller as dog food;)
People with large enough driveways but then park the car on the front lawn.
Indicating right when they are going straight ahead on a roundaout.
Police dishing out fines for not stopping long enogh at a stop sign.
Not sure if all of these are odd or if I'm just having a good old fashioned winge!!:rofl:

DC10 Nov 15th 2011 8:55 pm

Fanatical enforcement of the world's slowest speed limits

BEVS Nov 15th 2011 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by liz_r (Post 9734732)
Re the fireworks - at least you guys get 4 days to buy your fireworks. In most Australian states, fireworks for personal use have been banned altogether for decades!!

I'd be very pleased to see that here.

Snap Shot Nov 15th 2011 9:50 pm

So would the SPCA who are actively campaigning for it.

love30stm Nov 15th 2011 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 9735016)

Me too!!!!!! :tape:

Snap Shot Nov 15th 2011 9:57 pm

[QUOTE=mazandben;9734903]People with largee enough driveways but then park the car on the front lawn.
Indicating right when they are going straight ahead on a roundaout.

People who park in front of their houses, or even garages, ON THE PAVEMENT, directly blocking the footpath, because they can't be bothered having to drive in then reverse out. What's that all about ?

Indicating right when going straight ahead at a roundabout ? My kiwi husband does that (and did do when we lived in Britain). It drives me bananas !

UKNZAUS Nov 15th 2011 10:08 pm

So would I! I moved to a nice suburb on the North Shore and have seen more teenagers firing the fireworks from their hands on the beaches and park across the road from me than I care to ever see again!

We have never bought them for around 10 years after my son was burned by a sparkler. We tend to stay away from home firework displays and watch from the safety of our house, or go to properly organised displays.

Bo-Jangles Nov 16th 2011 7:23 am

Don't get me wrong I agree they should ban them altogether, all those fireworks among so many wooden houses and decks don't bode well.

What is odd is that they do allow them to be sold on four days of the year, which I feel only makes them all the more desirable and everyone goes totally mad with them. I'm sure half of them being cheap imports wouldn't pass muster on the EU or UK safety front either.

Our poor wee puss scarpers and hides under the house for days, there's nothing we can do to console him, he is petrified.

BEVS Nov 16th 2011 7:45 pm

I know. Seen it. People/teenagers stockpiling the cheapo boxes from the Warehouse. Storing them and then letting them off as and when it pleases them. Next round of flying fire crackers will be New Years Eve no doubt

Around here locally an elderly neighbour, we know well , found his much loved pair of parakeets dead after fireworks were being thrown around by nearish neighbours . One landed on the top of the aviary. I watched that old man's eyes fill up with tears.

A horse had to be put down & a dog is still missing.

lardyl Nov 16th 2011 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 9737054)
....A horse had to be put down & a dog is still missing.

yep they can be nasty - once had a border collie bite down on a gas pipe on Bonfire Night - later on son turns on lights and house lost all it's windows (some with frames) and the roof lifted. dog survived but had to be put down when 86 yr old owner moved into hotel as temp accom. not good. :thumbdown:

theghostofdustybin Nov 16th 2011 11:16 pm

am i the only person who spend many a happy evening as a young man exploding dog poo with bangers and firing rockets at my mates?

relax, clever kids will be ok, and the others ones we will call natural selection.

Oh I have a dog, he doesnt like fireworks. However he doesn't like electric tooth brushes, washing being folded, the vacuum, lawn mower or me shouting at the footie on the telly. He may have issues.

Have you even noticed how we suddenly forget all of the things we did as kids that p*ssed people off? Like we cared.

Sorry off topic... on you go..

RobClubley Nov 16th 2011 11:20 pm

I was a good boy.