NZ's Whale Deaths

Old Oct 12th 2022, 1:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default NZ's Whale Deaths

Hundreds of whales died in New Zealand. I know that BEV and her DH are very involved in helping stranded whales. BEV, really what happened?
Old Oct 12th 2022, 2:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ's Whale Deaths

Originally Posted by Rete
Hundreds of whales died in New Zealand. I know that BEV and her DH are very involved in helping stranded whales. BEV, really what happened?
They are not on the mainland, they are on Chatham Island, approx 500 miles to the east.. 400+ whales…heartbreaking.

https://www.newzealand.com/ca/chatham-islands/

https://www.doc.govt.nz/news/media-r...tag=MSF0951a18

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 12th 2022 at 4:33 pm. Reason: Replaced faulty link
Old Oct 12th 2022, 8:45 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

They have. Two separate mass strandings over on the Chathams which are offshore islands. One can fly or travel to the main island . The other islands are remote and difficult to access for the most part. There was no mobilisation and DoC ( Dept Conservation) euthanised. I believe with the second stranding it was felt too dangerous an area to form any sort of refloat attempt.

Whale strandings are hard to explain & there could be several reasons for a stranding. All that can be said is that it is not unusual or uncommon down our neck of the woods and will have been happening for centuries.
Old Oct 13th 2022, 12:09 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

One of the area's has a large stock of sharks so it was felt to dangerous for anyone to get out in the water to try and float the whales as well as the whales being in a poorly state being attacked by the sharks
Old Oct 13th 2022, 1:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
They are not on the mainland, they are on Chatham Island, approx 500 miles to the east.. 400+ whales…heartbreaking.

https://www.newzealand.com/ca/chatham-islands/

https://www.doc.govt.nz/news/media-r...tag=MSF0951a18
Yes, the article did say it was 500 miles off the NZ coast. Thought perhaps one of the helping duo volunteered to be transported there to help.

Originally Posted by BEVS
They have. Two separate mass strandings over on the Chathams which are offshore islands. One can fly or travel to the main island . The other islands are remote and difficult to access for the most part. There was no mobilisation and DoC ( Dept Conservation) euthanised. I believe with the second stranding it was felt too dangerous an area to form any sort of refloat attempt.

Whale strandings are hard to explain & there could be several reasons for a stranding. All that can be said is that it is not unusual or uncommon down our neck of the woods and will have been happening for centuries.
It so sad that it happens to such a large pod of whales at one time. Wonder if science will ever figure out why this occurs. So they euthanize them but what do they do with the bodies? Leave them there to rot or to become fodder for other living creatures? I know, I know, they can't have a mass burial.

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
One of the area's has a large stock of sharks so it was felt to dangerous for anyone to get out in the water to try and float the whales as well as the whales being in a poorly state being attacked by the sharks
That was mentioned in the article.
Old Oct 15th 2022, 5:34 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

It so sad that it happens to such a large pod of whales at one time. Wonder if science will ever figure out why this occurs. So they euthanize them but what do they do with the bodies? Leave them there to rot or to become fodder for other living creatures? I know, I know, they can't have a mass burial.
When there is a mass stranding anyone that wishes to can offer to travel to help. It is not area dependent. You would get yourself to wherever it is - and many many do. We would.

For instance, those trained but living on the North Island could or would travel to the South Island to help a large stranding or even a small one. Most often ferries and national air carriers will give places for free . People offer free beds and food. We have. It is all about coming together to try and somehow avert another species personal disaster. Same goes for The Chathams . It is New Zealand.
If the call had gone for help & support then that would have been answered big-time.

Sometimes the strandings are in areas that are just too inhospitable to give any meaningful assistance. In this case the stranding was in such an area. The Chathams are wonderful but are an outpost. It would not be possible to give 2/3 days of first aid care and then try to attempt a refloat which can take many many hours . That means teams of people in water up to their chests in a hold and rocking position whilst the whale(s) re-orientate themselves to be able to swim free. If a lead matriarch or two has already been taken out via pontoon then that helps the odds. Often the matriarch has died.

Having written that I have witnessed whales being left overnight or killed by DoC staff when it was felt possible to try at least to save them or some. That is the overkill of health and safety these years. Whales, like people, that are in distress or injured also need 24/7 care , yet people in their arrogance often only give it to people. Bah!

The bodies are sometimes buried and sometimes tethered to let nature take its course. This is done in consultation with local Iwi alongside DoC. Iwi may want their rights - as in some jaw bones . Iwi will perform karakia and karanga.

Science already knows for the most part. Topography ; Tides ; Age of matriarch ; Illness ; Sonar mistake. It happens.
What is to be determined further imvho is that of the ocean warming - which it certainly is - and the negative effects that has on its inhabitants. This is the 3rd mass stranding in this period this half of the year and we are not even into stranding months yet.

So - want less. Buy less. Travel simply for ones own self far, far, less. . Keep the oceans clear of pollution, be that plastics or un-necessary huge shipping vessels or monster sized aircraft just for people to have jollies. Honestly ? Anyone want a planet for the tomorrows and its children then so many of us have to stop with the me me me thing and actually start with the them thing.