Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ's uncertain future?

NZ's uncertain future?

Old Jul 15th 2011, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Dumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud of
Default Re: NZ's uncertain future?

Owen Glenn's article in today's NZ Herald mirrors what quite a number of us have been saying on this post

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10738465
Old Jul 15th 2011, 10:29 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: NZ's uncertain future?

Originally Posted by Dumbledore
Owen Glenn's article in today's NZ Herald mirrors what quite a number of us have been saying on this post

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10738465
It’s not enough that we use proven methods and techniques. There will be times when we fail, when we waste money and make mistakes but surely these pale in comparison to making no choices at all and leaving things as they are.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triumph3
ALERT!!!! ALERT!!! ALERT!!!!!

Daily Mail reader

Do you still believe they found a WWII fighter on the moon?
It's a shame when someone takes the time and effort to make a reasoned post - and all you can do is make faces and call them names - rather childish.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

AH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the rough

Well I actually have no preference to what I read and I read many different newspapers. Maybe the 12p bit for 50 years is a bit exagerated, but none the less the challenges faced by western countries such as the UK/Europe and perhaps even the US are no less valid.

Are you not concerned about increasing economic competition from emerging economies and how this may effect service/manufacturing based economies such as the UK?

Are you not concerned about the loss of value of the pound?

Are you not concerned about the economic crises effecting the Eurozone, Ireland, Spain, Greece and now Italy?

Are you not worried about how the UK is going to care for the aging baby boomer generation as they begin to retire and how this may effect quality of life?
Old Jul 15th 2011, 12:36 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

A few years ago during the Sars problem I was in PCR to find a site and open a 'clone' factory for our UK Automotive Clutch manufacturing unit, I was Works Engineer Manager. During my travels I had an invitation to visit Suzhou Industrial Estate founded in Feb 1994. What I encountered was jaw dropping I have included a short utube vid. The offer was design and build complete in 1 month......OK the infastructure was complete and all services and utilities piped in but 4 weeks! Being driven through the estate all of the big UK and USA names were all there and running, there were even 4 new universities built to serve the companies requirements.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwEogP49QeU

I completed the task but built nearer to Shanghai, transported the equipment over came back to the UK and decided engineering was finished for us and parted company with the firm.(after 30 years service)

Yes I'm scared of Europes future as I have seen what we are truly up against! NZ stick to growing things don't try manufacturing someone already owns that!

Forgot to mention...the UK company is no longer in existance...

Last edited by Stormer999; Jul 15th 2011 at 12:48 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 6:24 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
A few years ago during the Sars problem I was in PCR to find a site and open a 'clone' factory for our UK Automotive Clutch manufacturing unit, I was Works Engineer Manager. During my travels I had an invitation to visit Suzhou Industrial Estate founded in Feb 1994. What I encountered was jaw dropping I have included a short utube vid. The offer was design and build complete in 1 month......OK the infastructure was complete and all services and utilities piped in but 4 weeks! Being driven through the estate all of the big UK and USA names were all there and running, there were even 4 new universities built to serve the companies requirements.

I completed the task but built nearer to Shanghai, transported the equipment over came back to the UK and decided engineering was finished for us and parted company with the firm.(after 30 years service)

Yes I'm scared of Europes future as I have seen what we are truly up against! NZ stick to growing things don't try manufacturing someone already owns that!

I guess this answers how the IMF gets its funding, China and India?
Old Jul 15th 2011, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999

Your job sounds/sounded boring then.

Not!
Old Jul 15th 2011, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
That is view is not supported - the survey out this week has Manufacturers confident with where things are at, despite the currency.
I know and it beggars belief. How can they look forward in the maelstrom of an ever increasing kiwi$?? The latter will make their goods less and less affordable. So what is their trick then.

Its like me saying "I am confident that my pounds will do well over the coming months inspite of the fact the currency which I wish to exchange them for inceasing by the day in value".
Old Jul 16th 2011, 9:50 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Your job sounds/sounded boring then.

Not!
After too many years of being assigned nearly impossible tasks and projects and suffering from disrupted sleep.......boring is heaven is disguise...::
Old Jul 17th 2011, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Some one mentioned this today and I thought it might start some interesting debate. Been here 6 years and generally I like it. Being by the beach would be better but we can't have it all. Stuff irks me like most people but we have a very good life here for one reason and another.

NZ's future is the issue. I tend to agree with that poster who sheds some doubt on what lies ahead for NZ. Firstly we are at the whim of of the kiwi $$. Been incredibly strong of late..good for some bad for others. The bouncing kiwi $$plays havoc with both imports and exports as its sooooooo fluid its hard to make plans (my mate with a Chilean wine import business will agree..he gave up in the end). Guess that goes with the territory of being one of the globe's top traded currencies.

Then there is our tiny, teeny size. Then we have net migration loss..the brain drain as they call it. We have poor infrastructure and IMO a very weak administration. Then there is that ubiquitous crap kiwi attitude...'this is the way we have done it and we are loathe to change'. How many times have I heard that?? Especially so if a non-kiwi dare proffer advice.

So NZ has lots of issues, great place for us now with young kids, being financially sound and Kate having a bullet proof DHB medical role. But if I were (or Kate) in business or we were not so financially sound not sure if NZ would work as well for us.

Factor in expensive houses in relation to low wages (we are famous for the latter) and ANOTHER interest hike round the corner to add to the already big interest mortgagees pay just now its all a bit strained.

Genesis, did you see Q&A on TV1 this morning ?

Gareth Morgan (who I have a great deal of respect for) said that both Aus and NZ are looking good. If China goes down then both countries will be in the "do dars".
Old Jul 17th 2011, 1:24 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Yes but this is just a measure of net external debt obligations (as % GDP). All I’ve tried to do is separate out the public and private sector by using government figures and net external debt (respectively).

There hasn’t been a major problem with toxic debt here because the decline in real estate value has been slower than the UK/US. Also negative equity isn’t such a problem if unemployment stays low since people won’t generally declare bankruptcy while they can still pay their mortgage and our unemployment rate has remained relatively low compared to other countries (all of which I can supply figures to support if you’d like ).
agreed and I'm content to take your figures, although I would ask a question regarding unemployment.

In my experience NZ business is very much on the small side, lots of husband and wife concerns and one man bands, so I'm not sure how long it takes for problems in this type of small business to filter through into unemployment figures, as opposed to some larger organisations who would be looking to shed staff pretty quickly. Not saying our unemployment rate is incorrectly reported just offering some observations for working out how figures may compare.