Reload this Page >

NZQA is it necessary?

NZQA is it necessary?

Old Sep 12th 2016, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

El_queenio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZQA is it necessary?

Hi,

My husband will be coming to NZ on a partner worker work visa (I will have an essential skills work visa) and he is a welder.

He has an engineering modern apprenticeship and NVQ level 3 in welding accredited by SEMTA plus 12 years work experience. Will he need to get these assessed?

I understand he won't need to in terms of applying for his visa but will he need to in order to work in the trade in NZ or does that vary from company to company?

Thanks
Old Sep 13th 2016, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZQA is it necessary?

I doubt he'll need to have his qualifications assessed because he will be getting a visa that allows him to work without needing a job offer first as it is based on his partnership with you. He doesn't need to prove anything to Immigration and if he wishes he doesn't even have to work. He could bum around for the length of the visa if he so wished and if cash flow allowed.

He'll obviously have to show his qualifications to potential employers in order to get a job so it's really up to them whether or not they are happy to accept his UK qualifications, however I'd be very surprised if they didn't. More than likely he'll have to start at the bottom with any employer no matter how many qualifications he has and how many years experience he has until he has proved himself and they can see how good he is at his work. They can only assess his level of competence in the job by seeing it first hand.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 10:49 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: NZQA is it necessary?

Originally Posted by El_queenio
Hi,

My husband will be coming to NZ on a partner worker work visa (I will have an essential skills work visa) and he is a welder.

He has an engineering modern apprenticeship and NVQ level 3 in welding accredited by SEMTA plus 12 years work experience. Will he need to get these assessed?

I understand he won't need to in terms of applying for his visa but will he need to in order to work in the trade in NZ or does that vary from company to company?

Thanks
Short answer is no.
It will be up to him to convince any prospective employer that he is the tradesman for the job.