Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ Who's country is it?

Wikiposts

NZ Who's country is it?

Old Mar 6th 2009, 5:15 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ Who's country is it?

Originally Posted by Coda
No. Mostly because you have two completely different cultures with different values. I understand why Maori are angry. I would be to if I had my land stolen!
Is it really the land or not the value of the said land?

In what way is the removal of wife beating and drug/alcohol abuse taking away culture? and more importantly who would admit to a culture with these attributes?

The real culture of language and custom is far from been excluded is more ingrained facet of all NZ. If not why does the Haka make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, why is maoridom a huge contribution too tourist trade?

Why are children being read stories of the taniwha, maori princesses and warriors?

For every wife beating drink driving maori there is also an equally ignorant pakeha cheating on his wife or partner. Encourage and nuture the good of all culture and discourage the bad.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Why oh why are maori so hugely over represented in the prison system..that says it all for me.
Because the male lower end of the income scale always is, in any country...the only doubt is, is it chicken or egg first?
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:26 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

"If not why does the Haka make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up"

Is it just me or does anyone else find the Haka, with all the foot stamping and tongue wagging, .... errm, how shall I put it ........just a bit camp?

I cant help it, but it always makes me smile...
Old Mar 7th 2009, 5:56 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: NZ Who's country is it?

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
For every wife beating drink driving maori there is also an equally ignorant pakeha cheating on his wife or partner.
Seeing as they make up about 1/8th of NZs population that may actually be accurate .

Stolen from corrections.govt.nz:

Relative to their numbers in the general population, Māori are over-represented at every stage of the criminal justice process. Though forming just 12.5% of the general population aged 15 and over 1, 42% of all criminal apprehensions involve a person identifying as Māori, as do 50% of all persons in prison. For Māori women, the picture is even more acute: they comprise around 60% of the female prison population.

The true scale of Māori over-representation is greater than a superficial reading of such figures tends to convey. For example, with respect to the prison population, the rate of imprisonment for this country’s non-Māori population is around 100 per 100,000. If that rate applied to Māori also, the number of Māori in prison at any one time would be no more than 650. There are however currently 4000 Māori in prison - six times the number one might otherwise.

Further, a recent extraction of court criminal history data indicated that over 16,000 Māori males currently between the ages of 20 and 29 years have a record of serving one or more sentences administered by the Department of Corrections. This equates to more than 30% of all Māori males in that age band; the corresponding figure for non-Māori appears to be around 10%. At any given point in time throughout the last decade, fully 3% of all Māori males between the ages of 20 and 29 years were in prison, either on remand or as sentenced prisoners; again, the corresponding figure for non-Māori is less than one sixth of that.

Over-representation in offender statistics is mirrored also by over-representation of Māori as victims of crime, a result of the fact that much crime occurs within families, social networks or immediate neighbourhoods.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 7:25 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like what's happened to most colonized indigenous people. Natives in Canada, Maori in NZ, and Aborigines in Australia all have one thing in common: colonization by the British. And they are all doing badly post colonization. Coincidence? Nah.

Charismatic, you should read some NZ history. You sound ignorant.