Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Nz University any Good?

Nz University any Good?

Old Feb 16th 2007, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

booty has a spectacular aura aboutbooty has a spectacular aura aboutbooty has a spectacular aura about
Default Nz University any Good?

Any one had any experience of NZ uni ? Are they good quality. Does the student loan exist outside of Toni Blair land? Any one know what fees are like.
Am trying do do future research for my daughter,not me you understand, Am thick as two short planks personally!!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice
Default Re: Nz University any Good?

Hi

I gave my 2c worth on your other thread, but just to say that it's all student loans here, i'm afraid! (there are scholarships as well, for some students).

x
Old Feb 16th 2007, 6:53 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by booty
Any one had any experience of NZ uni ? Are they good quality. Does the student loan exist outside of Toni Blair land? Any one know what fees are like.
Am trying do do future research for my daughter,not me you understand, Am thick as two short planks personally!!
I'd actually like to know who pays the fees to the uni - parents (or student) or the gov't. And do you have to be resident and/or a citizen for a certain amount of time first?

If we stay in the US, by the time our daughter is 18 and trots off to uni, we'd we looking at about $60,000 a YEAR to send her to uni. And with courses here being 4 years ('cos you spend the first year doing "General Subjects" figuring out what you want to actually study, good grief! ), that's pretty much a quarter of a million US dollars...
Old Feb 16th 2007, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Maz
I'd actually like to know who pays the fees to the uni - parents (or student) or the gov't. And do you have to be resident and/or a citizen for a certain amount of time first?
The fees are paid for by the student, the parents or by a student loan. If you are an international student the fees are maybe 5x higher.

What does your daughter want to study? There are eight universities in NZ and umpteen polytechs/ teacher training colleges. Here is the list of universities etc: http://webdirectory.natlib.govt.nz/d...ary-education/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...in_New_Zealand

For example:
Here is info on fees for Massey Uni: http://international.massey.ac.nz/ma...programmes.cfm
and here is the same info for Otago:
http://www.otago.ac.nz/international...007tuitionfees

Student loan info here: http://www.studylink.govt.nz/
Old Feb 16th 2007, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

booty has a spectacular aura aboutbooty has a spectacular aura aboutbooty has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Apple12 will take a look at these, not sure what she wants to do yet possible drama , just trying to budget
Old Feb 16th 2007, 7:50 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apple12
The fees are paid for by the student, the parents or by a student loan. If you are an international student the fees are maybe 5x higher.

What does your daughter want to study? There are eight universities in NZ and umpteen polytechs/ teacher training colleges.
Thanks so much for all that info, Apple!

I'm afraid she's not told anyone yet what she wants to do, as she's only five, though she is rather fixated on long-distance space travel.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 7:58 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Maz
Thanks so much for all that info, Apple!

I'm afraid she's not told anyone yet what she wants to do, as she's only five, though she is rather fixated on long-distance space travel.
aaaaaaahhhhh. Oh well, no harm in planning ahead - my bubs is only 10 weeks gestation, and I am only just coping with the idea of a newborn...
Old Feb 16th 2007, 8:54 pm
Maz

aaaaaaahhhhh. Oh well, no harm in planning ahead - my bubs is only 10 weeks gestation, and I am only just coping with the idea of a newborn...
Oh wow congratulations Apple!!!!!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 9:30 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

That is sooooo exciting - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

oh no , thats me getting broody again
congrats apple xx
Old Feb 16th 2007, 10:01 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by poppets
oh no , thats me getting broody again
congrats apple xx
Me Too and I've been steralised - although Hubby now wants to pay to get it reversed and start a whole Kiwi stylie side of the family. The man is greedy!! And it's a "NO" from me!!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Great news Apple! looked at web sites and its looks as though you will need to start saving now as looks to be expensive like here in UK, Oh well, might have to work long long hours
Old Feb 16th 2007, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Had another look at web sites, if we have PR then tuition fees are much lower at around $4500(£1600) per year for most degree level courses. This is much better than here in UK. My niece is doing a BA in Education at the moment and it is costing her parents about £7000 per year for 3 year course £21,000 + living expenses so looking cheaper in NZ at the moment. Another reason to move maybe?
Old Feb 16th 2007, 10:56 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Any one had any experience of NZ uni ? Are they good quality.
Depends on which one you choose. Otago University (in Dunedin) could well be the best, followed by the University of Auckland.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 1:09 am
Account Closed

Had another look at web sites, if we have PR then tuition fees are much lower at around $4500(£1600) per year for most degree level courses. This is much better than here in UK. My niece is doing a BA in Education at the moment and it is costing her parents about £7000 per year for 3 year course £21,000 + living expenses so looking cheaper in NZ at the moment. Another reason to move maybe?
Thanks everyone =)

DOn't forget that you have to be *earning* NZ dollars if you are living here, not UK pounds. One of those times when using the exchange rate doesn't help you much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.