Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ Scary story - or what ?

NZ Scary story - or what ?

Old Mar 9th 2005, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ Scary story - or what ?

Hi Tayberry, Scottish,
Thanks for your response re diabetes, the answer is as I feared, user pays.
What on earth happens to those that can't afford to pay, it's not like you can do without insulin.
Good news in the Times today 61 year old man cured of type 1 by islet cell transplant. Hopefully within a few years the treatment will be widely available.
The article also says the cost to the NHS is £10 million a day, 5% of the NHS budget.
Cheers
KAZ
Old Mar 9th 2005, 9:30 am
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice
Default Re: NZ Scary story - or what ?

Kaz Hen

You should look at this page: http://www.diabetes.org.nz/info/visitors.html

Here are some snippets:

The New Zealand Ministry of Health (Government agency that controls nationwide health services) currently has a big focus on diabetes prevention and active diabetes management, especially of Type 2 diabetes. This has meant that over the last few years diabetes services have received increased funding. How diabetes services are structured varies somewhat from region to region in New Zealand, but mostly they are fairly similar.

In New Zealand health care services are often divided into ‘primary care’ and ‘secondary care’.

Primary care is the usual first point of care that most people access. This is commonly your GP (general practitioner), or ‘family doctor’. You have to pay for this service, although those on a low income often qualify for a reduced rate. All children under the age of 6 can visit a GP free of charge in New Zealand.

The usual cost of a visit to a GP (not the reduced rate) is around $45 - $55 (NZ), depending on the doctor. There is no additional charge for a visit to a GP for people from other countries. All people with diabetes in New Zealand are entitled to a free diabetes check with their GP once a year (a ‘free annual review’). During this visit your GP will check that you have had all the tests you need to make sure you are not developing the complications of diabetes.

Insulin, and nearly all of the diabetes tablets, are available in New Zealand. Both the large insulin companies, Novo Nordisk and Eli Lilly, have a wide range of their insulins available in New Zealand. Of the very short-acting insulin analogues, only the Eli Lilly one (Humalog) is widely available. The Novo Nordisk very short-acting analogue (Novo Rapid) is only available in limited supplies at present. Novo Nordisk are confident that this situation will change soon.

Medications cost the same amount throughout New Zealand. If you are a resident in New Zealand and on a low income, you will pay $3.00 for each prescription item for a three-month supply. For example if you are taking two different types of insulin, you will pay $6.00 for a three-month supply of your insulin. Other New Zealand residents (on a middle or high income) pay $15.00 for each prescription item for a three-month supply. The charge for a non-resident (unless for an emergency supply and coming from a reciprocal country ie Australia, UK, etc) will be NSS, or Not Subsidised and the full cost of the medicine will apply.
In New Zealand, a diabetes supplies company ensures that meters, testing strips, and many other supplies, are available at a very reasonable cost. This service is very efficient and operates through mail-order. In fact, it’s usually much cheaper to get your supplies through this company rather than through a pharmacy (or drug store). The company is called Diabetes Supplies Ltd and their phone number is 0800 342 238 from within New Zealand (an 0800 numbers means that you can make the call for free).
Treatment for any complications or problems with your diabetes is available free-of-charge through departments located within the public hospitals (for example, eye departments, renal departments etc). The treatment options available are comparable with any of the developed countries outside of New Zealand.

If you are thinking of emigrating to New Zealand you will have to supply medical details of your state of health. Your details will be assessed by a consultant physician based in New Zealand before you are considered for residency. If you are requiring, at the time of emigration, very extensive and costly medical treatment (eg dialysis) it will be more difficult for you to get residency within new Zealand.
I did the bold bits.

It seems that years supply of one drug will cost you $60, so two would be $120. Therefore if you were taking two drugs for a year, it would cost you about 45 pounds. Surely this could not be considered expensive for a years supply.

As you come from a "reciprocal country" you won't get hit for the full charges.

I'm not sure about needles but I am pretty sure they are free to drug abusers, so I imagine you would get them cheaply, if there was any cost.

The rest of the stuff I am not sure about, but if you search the site I mentioned above and maybe email them, you should get all the info you need. I don't claim to know anything about diabetes.

Apologies to all those naysayers who don't like facts... couldn't help myself...

Last edited by kiwijetpilot; Mar 9th 2005 at 9:38 am.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: NZ Scary story - or what ?

[QUOTE=kiwijetpilot]Kaz Hen

You should look at this page: http://www.diabetes.org.nz/info/visitors.html

Thanks for the info Simon, I will look at the web site.
Hope you are enjoying the Kapiti coast, my son was back recently and went body surfing at Foxton Beach. He had a ball.
Cheers
KAZ