Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ Scary story - or what ?

NZ Scary story - or what ?

Old Mar 4th 2005, 12:19 am
Damages

Default Re: NZ Scary story - or what ?

Originally Posted by sofistek
It also says a lot about the expats you met. They all enjoyed themselves but left anyway! Go figure.

Looks like they've all left this thread anyways

Ali

Old Mar 4th 2005, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Tricky266 will become famous soon enoughTricky266 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by southerner

Now to stop the rest of the hordes trying to get in...have I told anyone how cold the NZ houses are, and the price of electricity is monstrous, and earthquakes, volcanoes, sharks, wetas, maori gangs, swollen rivers, floodprone, cities, third world roading, 'p' houses, spiders, labour govt, child poverty, no pensions, surgery waiting lists, dangerous rips, ummm....crap baked beans.........(its getting hard now)......spiders............variable weather....................................Aucklan d drivers....................labour govt ...........Coro St on just when I want to watch some decent TV!
So how bad is the Maori gang problem? - reading up on the subject makes you think living in NZ is like a scene from Mad Max!
Old Mar 4th 2005, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tricky266
So how bad is the Maori gang problem? - reading up on the subject makes you think living in NZ is like a scene from Mad Max!
My ex-husband and I emigrated to NZ in 1985 (I know it's a while ago). He was recruited for a Marketing Director role. We first lived in the Hawkes Bay area (Hastings) and lived in a motel for about three weeks. We both finally said to each other (after about two weeks) "What the hell have we done?" We realised we'd made a mistake (however that's antoher story). Regarding the Maoris - there is a very big gang problem in Hawkes Bay. One day my ex went back to his car which was parked outside some shops in Hastings to find about 4 Maori gang members sitting on the bonnet of his car. He said they were like the proverbial brick s**thouses LOL He also said that one of them had "f**k off" tatooed on his forehead. Needless to say he left the car there until they wandered off.

One day I was walking down the High Stree in Hastings and a big Holden with about four or five gang members in it slowed down and drove alongside me and wound the windows open. They were saying things to me but I couldn't hear what they were saying. They followed me for a while, I really thought they were going to drag me into their car (gang rape is a big thing among gang members there).

We moved to Auckland after a year in Hawkes Bay (where my ex was then Marketing Director of KFC) and we liked Auckland a lot better. But after five years we decided we'd had enough and I was lucky enough to get transferred back to the UK with the company I worked for. However, on this occasion the grass was not greener and in 1990 the job front in the UK was a nightmare and my ex tool 18 months to find a job. He thought it would be easy back in the UK but the job he'd been promised fell through.

Anyway, with hindsight I know we would not have come back from NZ as we hated the UK when we did return. I doubt we'd both be together anyway even if we had stayed there. And I now live in the US with my wonderful American husband. I love it here
Old Mar 4th 2005, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Tricky266 will become famous soon enoughTricky266 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by AlisonPA
My ex-husband and I emigrated to NZ in 1985 (I know it's a while ago). He was recruited for a Marketing Director role. We first lived in the Hawkes Bay area (Hastings) and lived in a motel for about three weeks. We both finally said to each other (after about two weeks) "What the hell have we done?" We realised we'd made a mistake (however that's antoher story). Regarding the Maoris - there is a very big gang problem in Hawkes Bay. One day my ex went back to his car which was parked outside some shops in Hastings to find about 4 Maori gang members sitting on the bonnet of his car. He said they were like the proverbial brick s**thouses LOL He also said that one of them had "f**k off" tatooed on his forehead. Needless to say he left the car there until they wandered off.

One day I was walking down the High Stree in Hastings and a big Holden with about four or five gang members in it slowed down and drove alongside me and wound the windows open. They were saying things to me but I couldn't hear what they were saying. They followed me for a while, I really thought they were going to drag me into their car (gang rape is a big thing among gang members there).

We moved to Auckland after a year in Hawkes Bay (where my ex was then Marketing Director of KFC) and we liked Auckland a lot better. But after five years we decided we'd had enough and I was lucky enough to get transferred back to the UK with the company I worked for. However, on this occasion the grass was not greener and in 1990 the job front in the UK was a nightmare and my ex tool 18 months to find a job. He thought it would be easy back in the UK but the job he'd been promised fell through.

Anyway, with hindsight I know we would not have come back from NZ as we hated the UK when we did return. I doubt we'd both be together anyway even if we had stayed there. And I now live in the US with my wonderful American husband. I love it here
That sounds pretty scary - more scary than the original post that set this thread rolling!!
Old Mar 4th 2005, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice

That sounds pretty scary - more scary than the original post that set this thread rolling!!
Wow, sorry about that! Having said that, we never did ever have any run-ins with the gangs there. They had a very big house in the area with a big high wall all around it and I know it was sometimes raided by the police and they did indeed gang rape women there but I have no idea what the situation is like 15 years on (probably not much different as things tend to be very slow in Hawkes Bay
Old Mar 4th 2005, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AlisonPA
Wow, sorry about that! Having said that, we never did ever have any run-ins with the gangs there. They had a very big house in the area with a big high wall all around it and I know it was sometimes raided by the police and they did indeed gang rape women there but I have no idea what the situation is like 15 years on (probably not much different as things tend to be very slow in Hawkes Bay
Alison,

I understand that the situation was very bad in the 1990's and that things are much better now... I suppose gangs are something (in the UK at least) you only get involved in if you go looking for it - but to be walking down the street and have a situation like that is not good!! Lets hope those days don't return again.

Richard
Old Mar 4th 2005, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alison,

I understand that the situation was very bad in the 1990's and that things are much better now... I suppose gangs are something (in the UK at least) you only get involved in if you go looking for it - but to be walking down the street and have a situation like that is not good!! Lets hope those days don't return again.

Richard
It was very scary indeed. For one minute they opened the door and I really thought that was it. I am sure no-one would have done anything anyway.

We did make the mistake though of going there thinking it was some sort of utopia but Hawkes Bay was way behind the rest of the western world. Auckland was a great city and we liked that a lot. Eating out was cheap and BYO restaurants were excellent. We also found that the best Thai restaurants (outside of Thailand) were in the Auckland area.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Linda Maxwell will become famous soon enoughLinda Maxwell will become famous soon enough

We bought a beautiful golden retriever puppy not long after we arrived in NZ. Daughter took it for a walk to the dairy, had to pass the house with the huge fence etc.etc. pit bull attacked our puppy, daughters jacket was torn, and daughter and dog in a bit of shock. Workmen at our house stopped me from phoning the police, as the dog belonged to the mongrel mob, and we should be thankful no-one was hurt, and let it go. Neighbour's came over, and agreed with the workmen that we would only bring a lot of trouble if we reported the incident, and it would affect them also.
And before anyone jumps on me,yes I am still pissed off with myself for not reporting it, and I have tortured myself for many long hours, thinking about all the "what if's".
Sometimes inoccents get mixed up with gangs through no fault of their own, and not just in NZ, but everywhere in the world.
Here is a tip for anyone that comes across a gang, a really good not taking any crap Scottish accent is a great defense for some reason, and I've heard that it works all over the world. Strange cause we are really nice easy going folk.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Poindexter is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is a tip for anyone that comes across a gang, a really good not taking any crap Scottish accent is a great defense for some reason, and I've heard that it works all over the world. Strange cause we are really nice easy going folk.
That's gotta be one of the most stupid things I've ever heard.

If I was faced with half a dozen blood thirsty mongrel mob members, I'd like abit more defence than squaring p to them and saying "see you Jimmy".

Get real will you.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:17 pm
Deb+Chris

Originally Posted by Poindexter
That's gotta be one of the most stupid things I've ever heard.

If I was faced with half a dozen blood thirsty mongrel mob members, I'd like abit more defence than squaring p to them and saying "see you Jimmy".

Get real will you.
And you called Linda stupid?! mmmm

We stayed with people who live in Hastings and it's true, it can be a scary place. They certainly wouldn't venture into town of an evening that's for sure. Their teenage son was surrounded once by members of one of these gangs just because he had a white face.. apparently it is a common thing.. they have to beat someone up (a white person) to get into the gang!!!!! for no reason whatsoever.... old people are also targets.. it aint pretty from what I've heard from these people.

Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

Well that's exactly what I'm trying to say. The mongrel mob are a scary bunch, as if a crowd of them - all fired up and wanting some action - would 'back off' just because they heard some 'wee lassie' proclaim 'och I'm not taking any crap from you'.

I didn't say Linda was stupid, I said the comment was stupid.

Also, you need to understand that there's a huge amount of myth and legend applied to stories about the mongrel mob. The initiation process does not involve beating up a white person, it involves the 'recruit' getting beaten (really beaten) by his fellow gang members, amongst other things.

I'm not defending them, and I agree that you should 'act with caution' where they are converned, but this belief that they're going to invade suburbia and thrash the men and gang rape the women is a touch extreme.
Research the facts and the history instead of listening to the rumours.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:12 pm
Deb+Chris

Well that's exactly what I'm trying to say. The mongrel mob are a scary bunch, as if a crowd of them - all fired up and wanting some action - would 'back off' just because they heard some 'wee lassie' proclaim 'och I'm not taking any crap from you'.

I didn't say Linda was stupid, I said the comment was stupid.

Also, you need to understand that there's a huge amount of myth and legend applied to stories about the mongrel mob. The initiation process does not involve beating up a white person, it involves the 'recruit' getting beaten (really beaten) by his fellow gang members, amongst other things.

I'm not defending them, and I agree that you should 'act with caution' where they are converned, but this belief that they're going to invade suburbia and thrash the men and gang rape the women is a touch extreme.
Research the facts and the history instead of listening to the rumours.
It was the way you wrote "That's the stupidest thing I ever heard" that I thought was out of order.

Anyway, what I was saying is that there are real problems in NZ just like the UK .... I just get a bit fed up with people (especially kiwis) writing about how bloody fantastic and idilic (spelling) it is over there when in fact it can be a nightmare for some people.

For us it was hell... and we are glad to be back. For you it is heaven... so what??? we are all different aren't we? and ALL entitiled to our own opinion.

Lets all just take a step back and realise we are all going through different shit in different places.

Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

I only passed comment on your posting. Of course Kiwis are going to go on about how good NZ is .... it's called national pride.

Sorry things didn't work out for you ... really I am, But don't feel you have to spout incorrect and uninformed rubbish to justify your return to the UK.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:39 pm
Deb+Chris

I only passed comment on your posting. Of course Kiwis are going to go on about how good NZ is .... it's called national pride.

Sorry things didn't work out for you ... really I am, But don't feel you have to spout incorrect and uninformed rubbish to justify your return to the UK.
Why? what have I spouted that is incorrect?

Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:46 pm
Deb+Chris

Oh.. and let me guess... you are a kiwi right? god it get's more boring on these forums cos they are hyjacked by patriotic prats who rant on and on about the bloody good life etc. and just won't hear about the negatives. You aren't brits (who this forum is desigined to be for).. and I recon the brits who have made it in NZ are either boring, prepared to be poverty stricken or are stuck there.

So Stick that in your pipe and smoke it matey cos I aint in the mood for shite tonight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.