NZ Pros and Cons

Old Aug 16th 2012, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

phyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud of
Default Re: NZ Pros and Cons

Dumbledore. Great post and I agree 100% with all your cons.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Don't come to Nelson unless you are sandfly proof. Summer you need the day long protection. Same for the sun and the wind really.
You're talking with someone who spent their whole life by the water. Sea and rivers.

As for the other stuff about Bmth . Well. You know what. That's me , my family and friends you are talking about there love.

It may not float your boat of course but it is blue flag, clean & 5 miles long.You just have to move away from the usual BH tourist spots to find great space ,which is not hard at all.

You wanna see Mapua of a summer. Actually. Don't.

I'm sorry BEVS if I offended you. I was having half a crack at the great British stereotypes of beaches. I didn't mean for you to take it personally
Old Aug 16th 2012, 11:46 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dannigirl
Too true BEVS. Whatever floats your boat. Bournemouth beach doesn't do it for me after seeing heaving crowds when it's hot. Jostling with thousands of people with the ever present smell of chip fat and chsvs drinking copious amounts of alcohol doesn't float my boat. I also hate beaches with piers....ugggh. But that is just me. Give me Tunnel Beach, Aramoana, St Clair, Warrington, Karitane beach anyday. Strangely we didn't frequent the beaches when we were younger (or rarely did) we spent most of our time at lakes and rivers.

Hardly any sandflies down south (or at least they don't like my blood). All the things you state are equally prevalent in the UK (and worldwide probably) too BEVS. Some people are allowed to prefer NZ beaches, and/or UK beaches. I have never had to use insect repellant in NZ other than on the west coast. Totally personal preference
Bournemouth beach is beautiful, as are the Winter Gardens and the Chines. It may get busy during the summer (probably because it's so nice) but in the winter the locals pretty much get it to themselves. Last time I was there the sand was raked daily and there was a very good recovery scheme to return lost children to their owners . At the end of the summer they used to hold a lights festival in the gardens, do they still do that Bevs? My favourite part of it was Hengistbury Head

My other favourite beaches are in west Wales, Devon and Scotland, places like Freshwater West and Mellon Udrigle

I know a few that don't get crowded and are wild, beautiful places where you can cockle to your heart's content and then retreat to a local inn for a real ale and warm by the fireside. Some of those beaches are accessed by country lanes where you can pick wild elderberries and blackberries in the autumn and sloes for Christmas gin.

Last edited by Expat Kiwi; Aug 16th 2012 at 11:56 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

phyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud of

Some of the beach's on the west coast of Scotland up towards Oban are incredible.

A big con has to be the distance away from family. I skype my family every day so they can say hi to the kids. How does everyone cope. Do you visit home or have people visit you each year?
Old Aug 17th 2012, 7:15 am
rix
Banned

rix has a brilliant futurerix has a brilliant futurerix has a brilliant futurerix has a brilliant futurerix has a brilliant futurerix has a brilliant futurerix has a brilliant futurerix has a brilliant future

pros - scenery, empty beaches, clean air, clean water, good coffee.

cons - crime, xenophobia, feeling ostracised as an expat, high cost of living, low wages, long way from family and home, lack of culture or short history, nouveau riche materialism, crime, dangerous drivers, slack attitudes, small sections with big houses, bad taste architecture, conversation consists of 'mortgages, beer, rugby, sport' and gossip. Earthquakes. Last and not least - poor, slow and corrupt medical system.

feeling like you dont belong.

Why is everyone leaving?

Last edited by rix; Aug 17th 2012 at 7:20 am.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rix
pros - scenery, empty beaches, clean air, clean water, good coffee.

cons - crime, xenophobia, feeling ostracised as an expat, high cost of living, low wages, long way from family and home, lack of culture or short history, nouveau riche materialism, crime, dangerous drivers, slack attitudes, small sections with big houses, bad taste architecture, conversation consists of 'mortgages, beer, rugby, sport' and gossip. Earthquakes. Last and not least - poor, slow and corrupt medical system.

feeling like you dont belong.

Why is everyone leaving?
Pretty much agree with you.
Struggling to find too many positives to add.
Socially, its a disaster. If it wasnt for the other expats, it would be truely dire around here. Dull. Nowhere that you really want to go when it comes around to the weekend. Im now think Im lucky to have been brought up in the UK with broader outlook and experiences.
I cant think of one reason why you wouldnt try somewhere else in the Uk before you ever tried NZ. Its like living in a corridor.
To add to Rix's list of cons - housing is appalling for the most part, damp, cold and noisy; Justice system, ha ha. Fancy a nice night out in a country pub with interesting locals? Ha ha forget it. Do you love listening to really really loud cars all day and night - youll love it here then.