Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ - poverty myth.

NZ - poverty myth.

Old Nov 30th 2005, 8:52 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ - poverty myth.

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
Is there a way do donate from UK?
Paul - I would think so. £100 donation would cover 10% (c.7 parcels) of the food parcels distributed last year! Sterling goes a long way for things like this.

Heartbreaking article, I'm going down next week and am going to try to seek out Delta to do a donation for food parcels for this Xmas. Livewire - is there a similar thing in operation on the Shore - I'll be there a week today.

Last edited by uk+kiwi; Nov 30th 2005 at 8:56 am.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

tottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant future

they are bringing up a family of six kids
If they have 6 kids, then any poverty will be their own fault anyway. If they are so poor why even think about having more children - it would be impractical, selfish etc. Obviously if it was that bad they wouldn't.

Not knocking the UK - just pointing out child poverty is reported everywhere. And, I satrted to wonder, how valuable are statistics? If I was to measure a child in relation to poverty I'd probably ask is the child healthy, is he/she happy, disease/infection free, and do they have access to learning. It just got me thinking about poverty is all.
Exactly how I'd measure it.

What you also forget is that parents play arguably the most important role in education as well. There is extensive evidence to suggest that parents who educate their children from an early age (i.e. read to them) tend to produce the brightest kids. As most kids in dodgy/poorer areas tend to have parents who are less willing to encourage education, they generally have less chance of doing well in later life.

I always think of where my nan used to live in the East-End of London. It used to have quite good schools. The schools now are generally rubbish though - but then a lot of the schools are plagued by poor discipline and uninterested students. Their parents are often even worse!!!!

Of course, NZ is a bit different in this respect; a lot of the poorer NZers are Maoris. Their situation is not their fault. I, therefore, have a lot more sympathy for their situation.

tottefan.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 1:35 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tottefan
If they have 6 kids, then any poverty will be their own fault anyway. If they are so poor why even think about having more children - it would be impractical, selfish etc. Obviously if it was that bad they wouldn't.

Exactly how I'd measure it.

What you also forget is that parents play arguably the most important role in education as well. There is extensive evidence to suggest that parents who educate their children from an early age (i.e. read to them) tend to produce the brightest kids. As most kids in dodgy/poorer areas tend to have parents who are less willing to encourage education, they generally have less chance of doing well in later life.

I always think of where my nan used to live in the East-End of London. It used to have quite good schools. The schools now are generally rubbish though - but then a lot of the schools are plagued by poor discipline and uninterested students. Their parents are often even worse!!!!

Of course, NZ is a bit different in this respect; a lot of the poorer NZers are Maoris. Their situation is not their fault. I, therefore, have a lot more sympathy for their situation.

tottefan.
Good post. You have made some valid points in this which I agree with personally but also which read well.

Thought I'd mention it particularly in view of some possibly more naive/controversial comments posted earlier which did get jumped on pretty quickly by those whose emotions it stirred! Carmen.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 1:55 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by auldduck
You are mixing up two different concepts. 1. genuine poverty. 2. poverty as perceived by myself.

The second concept is simply based on what I consider to be enough for a minimum quality of life in terms of living needs, food, cars, entertainment, education etc for my family and me. That runs at about $1000 per week spending money, ie a NZD salary of about $75,000.

To feel comfortably off we'd need quite a bit more.

cheers - Quackers
Bloody hell i was expected to keep a wife and 2 kids on $35K.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

bosshog is an unknown quantity at this point

Well said...and at last a positive posting. It's all about how you chose to live...some people still struggle in the UK, mind you they are whacked to the limit on the credit cards so they can change their two cars every six months!!

I know I live on an estate like that, anyone seen stepford wives???
Old Nov 30th 2005, 7:21 pm
Banned

auldduck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lenmil
Bloody hell i was expected to keep a wife and 2 kids on $35K.
That's really pushing it, after tax you won't be very well off.

However, there are quite a few tax credits/ child support subsidies for the low paid which would help a lot.

cheers - Quackers
Old Nov 30th 2005, 7:32 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

I always think (in relation to Western countries) that the poorest people, the ones who actually have the most trouble making ends meet, are those who are 'just' above the limit whereby they could get Government assistance. Those on benefit and really low wages can get lots of subsidies for this and that but if you're in a situation where you might be, say, $5 OVER the limit??? $5 isn't going to buy you much but if you didn't have it you'd get hundreds if not thousands extra every year. This happened to my parents when we were young. 5 pounds a week meant they lost out on a winter fuel allowance, subsidised school books for us, school uniforms, medical card etc.etc.etc. They weren't poor on paper but in reality they were skint
Old Nov 30th 2005, 7:45 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by auldduck
That's really pushing it, after tax you won't be very well off.

However, there are quite a few tax credits/ child support subsidies for the low paid which would help a lot.

cheers - Quackers
Auldduck you remind me of a very wise old poster from yester years who used to live in Dunedin.. I wonder if I am right.

Now, pls dont be offended anyone but have to get this off my chest. If you move to a country forearmed with the info you know re wages etc do you really want to rely on state handouts to get by. Is the move that important.

Some long term posters found out to their pearl the cost of living v wages argumement and through no fault of their own know have to apply for state handouts but some of you guys coming out here know the script and surely you dont want to think "im all right jack as I can apply for state assistance".
Old Nov 30th 2005, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

tottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Batty
I always think (in relation to Western countries) that the poorest people, the ones who actually have the most trouble making ends meet, are those who are 'just' above the limit whereby they could get Government assistance. Those on benefit and really low wages can get lots of subsidies for this and that but if you're in a situation where you might be, say, $5 OVER the limit??? $5 isn't going to buy you much but if you didn't have it you'd get hundreds if not thousands extra every year. This happened to my parents when we were young. 5 pounds a week meant they lost out on a winter fuel allowance, subsidised school books for us, school uniforms, medical card etc.etc.etc. They weren't poor on paper but in reality they were skint
I can identify with that completely. We have to survive on my dad's wage which is around £21,000 a year. This has to cover a fairly large mortgage, food and clothes for 5 adults. It's weird because I've never felt hard done by, even though we didn't have any holidays abroad last year (spent a weekend in the uk).

In my experience, people on benefits are quite well-off financially. My cousin is a single mum without a job and what comes in her house is shocking.

tottefan.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 7:54 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

For a living i have to assist families apply for HB and also chase up unpaid rent. The other day I worked out and I&E and the girl got £300 a week in benefits not inc HB. My gob hit the floor so quick even she seen it haha. But on the other hand I deal with old biddies struggling and not once are they ever late in paying rent.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scottish
For a living i have to assist families apply for HB and also chase up unpaid rent. The other day I worked out and I&E and the girl got £300 a week in benefits not inc HB. My gob hit the floor so quick even she seen it haha. But on the other hand I deal with old biddies struggling and not once are they ever late in paying rent.
That's cos Brits over 70/75 are from a different, more self-sufficient and less materialistic generation than most people born since the Second World War.

Can you imagine what will happen in, say, 30/40 years time in Britain, when all the younger people are old and need financial assistance. Instead of getting on with things and enduring their hardships, most will probably think 'sod you', I've got to have that even if the government has to pay for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tottefan.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 9:10 pm
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by bosshog
Well said...and at last a positive posting. It's all about how you chose to live...some people still struggle in the UK, mind you they are whacked to the limit on the credit cards so they can change their two cars every six months!!

I know I live on an estate like that, anyone seen stepford wives???
you think the UK is car mad??? you've seen nothing yet!

Old Nov 30th 2005, 9:12 pm
turkeytickler

I can identify with that completely. We have to survive on my dad's wage which is around £21,000 a year. This has to cover a fairly large mortgage, food and clothes for 5 adults. It's weird because I've never felt hard done by, even though we didn't have any holidays abroad last year (spent a weekend in the uk).

In my experience, people on benefits are quite well-off financially. My cousin is a single mum without a job and what comes in her house is shocking.

tottefan.

thats because the cost of living in the UK is lower.

Old Dec 1st 2005, 12:28 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ElizabethC

I have already made that point quite clear Elizabth C. The debate is interesting. My emotions aren't driving my interest.
My focus ,though ,is on New Zealand. That is where we live . Its issues are our issues.

Poverty[ UK,NZ,USA,Europe etc] is measured as having to survive on half the median wage.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 12:34 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

That's cos Brits over 70/75 are from a different, more self-sufficient and less materialistic generation than most people born since the Second World War.

tottefan.
?? Rubbish. Sorry I have got to say this. Utter Rubbish.
What age are you TotteFan please ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.