Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ PC? Try this...

NZ PC? Try this...

Old Aug 18th 2005, 2:14 pm
Life begins...

80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute
Angry NZ PC? Try this...

Since I joined this forum I've read a lot about NZ being overtly PC. Well from my recent experience I think the UK takes the biscuit. Please forgive me for ranting as it's not in my nature but recent events have made me really mad and dejected (sorry for repeating myself Jan)

I've been jobhunting for over a year now with no success (but lots of near successes). I've applied for a lot of posts as a school librarian and been competing with candidates who already work in school libraries (it's essential that I have a job that's reasonably parent-friendly and in school libraries you usually get the school holidays).

Using my common sense I thought that I should perhaps stick to what I know and look for office based work in the public library service so I spoke to the head of libraries about working in the bibliographic services department. There were no vacancies at the time but one of the cataloguers was on maternity leave and still deciding whether she wanted to come back. If she decided not to the job would have to be advertised because of (everybody now..1,2,3...EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES!!!). At this stage I should point out that they were desperate to fill the post as there was a backlog of work.

So, when the lady in question decided not to come back off maternity leave I applied for the job externally and was shortlisted for interview. I was up against one of my colleagues and another candidate from outside. As I went into the interview I was told to treat the interviewers as if I didn't know them (I've known them all for 4 years). This is due to...EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES.

I did quite well in the interview but obviously didn't score as many "points" as my colleague who was offered the job. Sour grapes? Certainly not, if she's more suitable for the job then she deserves it. HOWEVER... she's 8 months pregnant and can't start until April 2006. That's obviously how desperate they are. It's a real kick in the teeth especially as I could do the job blindfold and with my hands tied behind my back. I'd actively expressed an interest in the job before it even became available and I was a 'strong candidate', and I can start next month. You can take Equal Opportunities too far . Bloody local government I could wring their necks. To add insult to injury I was rejected by phone and letter (arrived this morning). And I've been offered temporary work filling in until my colleague comes off maternity leave. So I'm good enough until April but not permanently. It hasn't gone unnoticed though that my authority has lost 3 children's librarians in quick succession (one of them the lady going on maternity leave) and I wouldn't be surprised if that were instrumental in the decision on the quiet despite the adherence to...oh hell I'm not gonna say it again.

What the hell does this have to do with NZ those of you who haven't stopped reading may ask? Well I figure if I can jobhunt for a year with no joy and fall foul of youknowwhat opportunities in my own 'firm' and be condemned to being a mediocrity, I may as well go to NZ and be a mediocrity, I can't be any worse off there, at least if they treat me as an underling it's because I'm a foreigner. Local government (well mine anyway) doesn't 'do' career development. I have to do it myself. I'm about to be published in February 2006 in the Oxford Encyclopedia of Children's Literature so I hope my name being in print generates some interest in my fabulous self!!!

Sorry for the long rant everyone just had to get it off my chest
Old Aug 18th 2005, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Dave in Auckland will become famous soon enough
Default Re: NZ PC? Try this...

Or looked at another way...

Good on the employer for being flexible enough to hold a position open for the ideal candidate.

I've been in the position of having a 6 month notice period, and worried that it would discourage potential employers if they had to wait.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 8:12 pm
Hanging by a thread

Location: England to Spain, Spain to England and back home for good
Sparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to behold

Sorry to hear that Phyl....I thought you hadn't been around for a bit but thought you were busy with the school hols etc. I can imagine how mad and upset you are, lets hope a better job is just around the corner

Debbie x
Old Aug 18th 2005, 8:31 pm

ElizabethC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 80s Chick
Since I joined this forum I've read a lot about NZ being overtly PC. Well from my recent experience I think the UK takes the biscuit. Please forgive me for ranting as it's not in my nature but recent events have made me really mad and dejected (sorry for repeating myself Jan)

I've been jobhunting for over a year now with no success (but lots of near successes). I've applied for a lot of posts as a school librarian and been competing with candidates who already work in school libraries (it's essential that I have a job that's reasonably parent-friendly and in school libraries you usually get the school holidays).

Using my common sense I thought that I should perhaps stick to what I know and look for office based work in the public library service so I spoke to the head of libraries about working in the bibliographic services department. There were no vacancies at the time but one of the cataloguers was on maternity leave and still deciding whether she wanted to come back. If she decided not to the job would have to be advertised because of (everybody now..1,2,3...EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES!!!). At this stage I should point out that they were desperate to fill the post as there was a backlog of work.

So, when the lady in question decided not to come back off maternity leave I applied for the job externally and was shortlisted for interview. I was up against one of my colleagues and another candidate from outside. As I went into the interview I was told to treat the interviewers as if I didn't know them (I've known them all for 4 years). This is due to...EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES.

I did quite well in the interview but obviously didn't score as many "points" as my colleague who was offered the job. Sour grapes? Certainly not, if she's more suitable for the job then she deserves it. HOWEVER... she's 8 months pregnant and can't start until April 2006. That's obviously how desperate they are. It's a real kick in the teeth especially as I could do the job blindfold and with my hands tied behind my back. I'd actively expressed an interest in the job before it even became available and I was a 'strong candidate', and I can start next month. You can take Equal Opportunities too far . Bloody local government I could wring their necks. To add insult to injury I was rejected by phone and letter (arrived this morning). And I've been offered temporary work filling in until my colleague comes off maternity leave. So I'm good enough until April but not permanently. It hasn't gone unnoticed though that my authority has lost 3 children's librarians in quick succession (one of them the lady going on maternity leave) and I wouldn't be surprised if that were instrumental in the decision on the quiet despite the adherence to...oh hell I'm not gonna say it again.

What the hell does this have to do with NZ those of you who haven't stopped reading may ask? Well I figure if I can jobhunt for a year with no joy and fall foul of youknowwhat opportunities in my own 'firm' and be condemned to being a mediocrity, I may as well go to NZ and be a mediocrity, I can't be any worse off there, at least if they treat me as an underling it's because I'm a foreigner. Local government (well mine anyway) doesn't 'do' career development. I have to do it myself. I'm about to be published in February 2006 in the Oxford Encyclopedia of Children's Literature so I hope my name being in print generates some interest in my fabulous self!!!

Sorry for the long rant everyone just had to get it off my chest
Somehow I very much doubt you will be a 'mediocrity' in NZ Phyl - I sincerely hope we wont be so silly as to waste your talents. Congratulations for being published in the Oxford Encyclopaedia - that's some feat!
Old Aug 18th 2005, 8:45 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you feel better Phyl for having got that off your chest and I also hope that you told them to get stuffed on the covering for the other girl situation - cheeky monkeys...have some mod karma sweetie...
Old Aug 18th 2005, 9:13 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 80s Chick
I'm about to be published in February 2006 in the Oxford Encyclopedia of Children's Literature so I hope my name being in print generates some interest in my fabulous self!!!
Whilst the rest of us will be able to proudly say "We knew her when...", your (ex)employer will be saying "How stupid were we to not appreciate her".

And you are fabulous darling, fabulous!
Old Aug 18th 2005, 10:37 pm
Life begins...

80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bookemjano
Whilst the rest of us will be able to proudly say "We knew her when...", your (ex)employer will be saying "How stupid were we to not appreciate her".

And you are fabulous darling, fabulous!
Thank you dahlings! I shan't forget you all when I'm famous (not!) I've calmed down now and I'm back to my normal jovial self

Glad to see this place has reverted to its vibrant and informative former self. Some interesting threads at the mo. I liked the education on NZ politics from Cindy and uk+kiwi and good to see Biddy back on the scene.

Phyl