Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ or OZ please help?

NZ or OZ please help?

Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ or OZ please help?

Originally Posted by di90
i know i have a pick of area's - how lucky am i . But i like warmth, and because i can choose where i am based i have chosen north of north island. Have to say that as a newly qualified there are only a handful of programmes for us and they just so happen to be in the north od the north island.
Hi Di 90......... a little confused about the fact only North Island has these type of vacancies for you, I knoe that Chch hospital is crying out for mid wifes!!!! have a look there, canterbury dhb, pretty sure there will be just as many there, housing here can be alittle cheaper than up north island, for 100 grand you could probably buy outright here in chch or surrounding areas.

Child care....... we use Kindercare and pay $210 a week full time, although she is never in more than 4 days, kindi places are hard to come by but there are a few .......... good luck on the desicion

alan
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

HI all,

I thought i had it all planned out and was moving to nz later this year but now i am seriously confusedsince reading threads on here. I'm woried that i won't be able to afford a decent lifestyle or make ends meet with only 1 income of around $45,000 to start with.

I am a newly qualified midwife and a single parent of a 7 year old. I will be coming over with about £100,000 and hoping to buy a 3 bed house (in a decent area) as will need an aupair due to working shifts.

Just unsure now as to whether i should move to oz instead??
Where will i be better off financially.
Any midwives that have made the move to either?

Thanks in advance for any replies. i have post the same thread on the oz board.
hey, just stay in U.K... If you can survive there, it's better (in the long run) If you have a good standard of living, a stable job, good healthcare, friends and family nearby...then things are not so bad..

mind you, NZ/OZ not necessarily better than U.K...

me - 40% I'd like to be here, but 60% wanna go back to U.K

I am very confused at the mo.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee
hey, just stay in U.K... If you can survive there, it's better (in the long run) If you have a good standard of living, a stable job, good healthcare, friends and family nearby...then things are not so bad..

mind you, NZ/OZ not necessarily better than U.K...

me - 40% I'd like to be here, but 60% wanna go back to U.K

I am very confused at the mo.
I debate th egood health care in the UK, the NHS is on its knees and getting worse, dont be fooled into thinking the NHS is a free service, we all had to pay NI and then still pay for medication, waiting lits are a joke.

Here you pay for a doc if you need to see one, $25 inc prescription....... not too bad in my book, balance tat up against paying NI .........

Lets face it we dont travel over the other side of the world for money, I came for the lifestyle and have no regrets.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 11:49 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

Alanmacc the OP said she'd like to be warm ..so that really rules out CHC doesn't it?
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yotty
Alanmacc the OP said she'd like to be warm ..so that really rules out CHC doesn't it?
LOL .......... not this year, we arrived in October and have had 3 bad days of rain, with the average daily temp over 24 degrees, trust me its a lot warmer than where i came from, Scotland..............
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 11:54 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been to CHC and the winter was farkin' cold! Wait till you've done June July and August ..eek

Last edited by Yotty; Apr 3rd 2008 at 12:11 am.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alanmacc
I debate th egood health care in the UK, the NHS is on its knees and getting worse, dont be fooled into thinking the NHS is a free service, we all had to pay NI and then still pay for medication, waiting lits are a joke.

Here you pay for a doc if you need to see one, $25 inc prescription....... not too bad in my book, balance tat up against paying NI .........
I pay $56 for a G.P visit, $25 inc prescription... + recently $2000 for Endoscopy at Wakefield Hospital as Welly Hospital missed my turn by their dumb mistake + shortage of docs - waiting lits are a joke here too

It's expensive here...if you are not fortunate enough.... as me...
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 12:37 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yotty
I've been to CHC and the winter was farkin' cold! Wait till you've done June July and August ..eek
Still warmer than British winters.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

Archangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really nice

So far I agree with everything thats been said. When we came to NZ we new it was right for us, and if we had problems we got through it together. We've made a lot of friends here, but there is always that worry about our sons future, so we try to save which isn't easy. We have a good income, but moneys very tight, would I go back to the UK? NOT ON YOUR LIFE!!! Yet we love and miss our country very much.
There are times when I think we would earn more living in OZ plus the weather is great all year round, but it's not NZ and moneys not everything.
I think you will do what's right for you and your daughter, and just like you we had a dream and we followed it, but I think it's important to know that living in NZ there are the same problems only on a smaller scale.
It is possible to live on $45, but you will find it hard, so if you come over try and get some medical insurance from your employer it will take some of the stress out of living.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 2:00 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Irrespective of whether you choose Oz or NZ, I would be looking at locating to an area outside of the major cities. Your living costs will be much reduced and your pay about the same. I know that Oz are desperate for midwives esp in rural areas and there may be incentives on offer.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
Irrespective of whether you choose Oz or NZ, I would be looking at locating to an area outside of the major cities. Your living costs will be much reduced and your pay about the same. I know that Oz are desperate for midwives esp in rural areas and there may be incentives on offer.
Yep agree with that point, we are buying in Rolleston, which for local chch residents they think a 20 min drive to work is bad............. for me 20 min its a breeze ......... much more for your $$
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 7:24 am
Just Joined

upandrunning is an unknown quantity at this point

Why don't you come to Nz and see what you think ? You can always rent a house for 6 months and put your dosh in the bank 8% interest here for investors. You might qualify for working family income, bit like tax credits in UK. I spend much more per week in the supermarket here than I would do in Uk but my fuel bills are lower as heating is non existent! Fly over to Oz for a reccie when they do special offers outside of school hols(it's easy to take kids out of school here for trips) The one thing as a single mum you will struggle with is child care, it is a real money spinning business here,after school clubs and holiday clubs are so expensive. You might get a teenager 15/16 to stay over at your house to babysit, but at 45k and only one of you, you will often be working for peanuts when paying for childcare. Good luck, ps why not canada or usa? Much cheaper. The sun is so strong here and my kids are so fair we actually have to stay in shade alot. Also Auckland rains rains rains.....
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Charlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant future

i guess i do have it cushy when i write it all out. I guess cushyness isn't the bee all and end all.

I don't like where we live (leicester), run down, ugly looking, full of immigrants who are not contributing to society - my road is filling up fast with them!
As for UK, the same as everyone really.

I have had this growing urge to be in nz for the last 6/7 years - something i can't explain. I also wanted to come to nz as want a better quality of life for my daughter to grow up in and to some extent the weather (hense wanting to live in the north of the north island).
Also nz has one of the best maternity care in the world and i want to be a part of that. Here in uk, midwifery is stressful, massive staff shortages, lack of support, no resources, massive rising birth rate due to immigrants who do not speak english - which makes midwives jobs even more stressful!

so all in all, whilst i don't mind making some sacrifices to move to nz, i really don't want to be very worse off.
Di90 - just come over from the Oz forum and your post there - you have answered my question. Come with your £100k and live in MH, work at Kettering Hospital and have coffee mornings with my wifey!
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 11:51 am
finally in melbourne

di90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by upandrunning
Why don't you come to Nz and see what you think ? You can always rent a house for 6 months and put your dosh in the bank 8% interest here for investors. You might qualify for working family income, bit like tax credits in UK. I spend much more per week in the supermarket here than I would do in Uk but my fuel bills are lower as heating is non existent! Fly over to Oz for a reccie when they do special offers outside of school hols(it's easy to take kids out of school here for trips) The one thing as a single mum you will struggle with is child care, it is a real money spinning business here,after school clubs and holiday clubs are so expensive. You might get a teenager 15/16 to stay over at your house to babysit, but at 45k and only one of you, you will often be working for peanuts when paying for childcare. Good luck, ps why not canada or usa? Much cheaper. The sun is so strong here and my kids are so fair we actually have to stay in shade alot. Also Auckland rains rains rains.....
think i might take a reccie in the next couple of months to both nz and oz. I was told that aupairs were available. I need one as i can start as early as 7am on an early, lates finish around 9-10pm and some nights i will have to do. I have made the assumption that their wages would be about the same as uk which is £50-70 a week, with all living expenses paid for, which i can afford. That said, i would get help with childcare costs in uk

US or canada yuk!! really doesn't appeal to me at all. I have 2 brothers that live there and they really don't paint that good a picture of it. They have both been there for nearly 20 years, and while it has its problems they are used to it and would never consider coming back to uk. Never even crossed my mind to even consider living there, i just no its not for me.

Last edited by di90; Apr 3rd 2008 at 11:55 am. Reason: add info
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 11:53 am
finally in melbourne

di90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mpg
Di90 - just come over from the Oz forum and your post there - you have answered my question. Come with your £100k and live in MH, work at Kettering Hospital and have coffee mornings with my wifey!
whilst MH is a lovely town, i'm not sure kettering hospital is that nice.
Do you actually live in MH itself?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.