Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ NEW screw update number 2

NZ NEW screw update number 2

Old Nov 23rd 2005, 7:49 am
Just Joined

nudenut has a brilliant futurenudenut has a brilliant futurenudenut has a brilliant futurenudenut has a brilliant futurenudenut has a brilliant futurenudenut has a brilliant futurenudenut has a brilliant future
Default NZ NEW screw update number 2

Hay that title rhymes...
As promised i am updating all those potential new NZ screws.
It week 3 on the job proper following completion of basic training, and as predicted its getting better by the day, not in working conditions or pay but in getting it together with wots required. Shifts at my nick are all over the place, in the unit I'm at there's 6-2, 2-10,7-3 8-5 all in the same day in the same unit and I'm assures our unit is the best as far as shifts go. Everyone is doing there own thing with he shifts. There's no definitive start and finish times everyones coming and going at all hours of the day. ill be buggers if I can work it out!!!
Oh i forgot to mention night shift and the 2 hourly body counts. Haven't done any yet but I cant wait to have to wake up the prisoners to see there alive. I'm not kidding...
I have spoken to the HR people and they assure me that my UK prison VQs qualifications and there is a good few dont mean a shit and its up to me to fund any attempt at cross crediting.
I had the good fortune at collage here to bump into Kay Anjuria ( or how ever you spell it) He was the boss of Alex Duncan. He spent a couple of hours gassing with me about the whole recruitment thing. He suggested that they have factored in a 20 % failure rate with the UK recruitment initiative, i wonder were he gets 20 % from...? probably the same place they got the average wage thing...
Interesting fact... Kay Anjuria is now the head HR Advisor for the community probation service and started the Job as a Correction officer in April 2003.
I hope my poorly veiled discontentment doesn't put anyone off ? honestly its a good place ,just dont expect a modern forward thinking progressive Prison Service , its sooo different.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 8:28 am
Make pumps lots......

Den13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really nice
Default Re: NZ NEW screw update number 2

Originally Posted by nudenut
Hay that title rhymes...
It week 3 on the job proper following completion of basic training, and as predicted its getting better by the day, not in working conditions or pay but in getting it together with wots required. Shifts at my nick are all over the place, in the unit I'm at there's 6-2, 2-10,7-3 8-5 all in the same day in the same unit and I'm assures our unit is the best as far as shifts go. Everyone is doing there own thing with he shifts. There's no definitive start and finish times everyones coming and going at all hours of the day. ill be buggers if I can work it out!!!
Oh i forgot to mention night shift and the 2 hourly body counts. Haven't done any yet but I cant wait to have to wake up the prisoners to see there alive. I'm not kidding...
I have spoken to the HR people and they assure me that my UK prison VQs qualifications and there is a good few dont mean a shit and its up to me to fund any attempt at cross crediting.
I had the good fortune at collage here to bump into Kay Anjuria ( or how ever you spell it) He was the boss of Alex Duncan. He spent a couple of hours gassing with me about the whole recruitment thing. He suggested that they have factored in a 20 % failure rate with the UK recruitment initiative, i wonder were he gets 20 % from...? probably the same place they got the average wage thing...
Interesting fact... Kay Anjuria is now the head HR Advisor for the community probation service and started the Job as a Correction officer in April 2003.
I hope my poorly veiled discontentment doesn't put anyone off ? honestly its a good place ,just dont expect a modern forward thinking progressive Prison Service , its sooo different.
Good post mate. I can just picture you stood in the middle of a wing with wry, disbelieving smile on your face!!

I remember posting something along the lines of 'if people want England, stay there, NZ is a different World!' Nice to see I wasn't mistaken!

Good luck and keep it coming friend. Have some karma
Old Nov 24th 2005, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

ranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant future

Hi Nudenut

Can't believe that you are there already.

Where are you based and what do you think? Can't remember if you have a family or not.

How are you managing so far on the wage?

Good to hear from you again

Suze
Old Nov 25th 2005, 7:34 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Hay that title rhymes...

Bloody 'eck you lot are game!
Old Nov 25th 2005, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

MV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant future

Hay that title rhymes...

great post mate keep em comming here's some karma, i can see this being the start of a new long prison officer thread
Old Nov 26th 2005, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

nudenut has a brilliant futurenudenut has a brilliant futurenudenut has a brilliant futurenudenut has a brilliant futurenudenut has a brilliant futurenudenut has a brilliant futurenudenut has a brilliant future

Mrs Nudenut and I are here with our two kids of primary school age.Mrs Nudenut got a job within a few days kids in school within the week and thats been all good but the wages V's cost of living is hard work. The power bill we just got would floor even the best payed UK prison officer in the UK...and its relatively warm here at the moment. Phones are outrageous too so it a big economy drive all the way. But the NZ correction have been ever so kind and given me a $18 a week pay rise because i managed to stay awake at collage for 6 weeks.
On the positive side were happy just being together through it all and know its the real deal for US. I'm not sure that ill manage on this wage for long and can see my self cutting lawns for a living before long. I have befriended this fella who came from England shire 4 years ago, he cuts lawns for a living. He works 4 days a week from 8.30 till around 4 strictly and only from 10 months of the year....he made, after overheads and tax etc etc over $70 and thats a Francaise... it cost him £6000 to get in to iit and£2500 for his equipment... I could do that for that money...
Old Nov 27th 2005, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

UNIONJACK is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the info. We are coming over in Feb 2006. Might not stay with the prison service very long by the looks of things, we will see how it goes. Please keep the info coming and good luck.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Robbo's is an unknown quantity at this point

Great post nudenut, keep us all informed its good to hear what we have to face in the near future.
On the 6 week training course, i take it you can go back to your new home on weekends ?
I'm due to start waikeria in march, looking forward to it but also like everyone else are cocerned about the wage.
Gonna buy myself a ride on lawn moor and steal all your business, ill be minted !!!
Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:41 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Hay that title rhymes...
Malky
Nice one mate, a good honest post
Hows it gon matey, hope you and the family are well

The big hoose is not missing you one bit !!!!!

Drop us a wee PM, let me know how things are

Eddie
Old Nov 28th 2005, 12:03 am
livewire

Good post.

It's quite usual for New Zealanders to have more than one job or other ways of supplementing their regular income. Good luck with making ends meet and glad to hear you're enjoying it here.

Old Nov 28th 2005, 12:24 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Mrs Nudenut and I are here with our two kids of primary school age.Mrs Nudenut got a job within a few days kids in school within the week and thats been all good but the wages V's cost of living is hard work. The power bill we just got would floor even the best payed UK prison officer in the UK...and its relatively warm here at the moment. Phones are outrageous too so it a big economy drive all the way. But the NZ correction have been ever so kind and given me a $18 a week pay rise because i managed to stay awake at collage for 6 weeks.
On the positive side were happy just being together through it all and know its the real deal for US. I'm not sure that ill manage on this wage for long and can see my self cutting lawns for a living before long. I have befriended this fella who came from England shire 4 years ago, he cuts lawns for a living. He works 4 days a week from 8.30 till around 4 strictly and only from 10 months of the year....he made, after overheads and tax etc etc over $70 and thats a Francaise... it cost him £6000 to get in to iit and£2500 for his equipment... I could do that for that money...
Hey nudey nuts (brazillian?) get it?

You're determined to make a go of it regardless aren't you? good on ya.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 7:13 am
Just Joined

Ye we going to make a real go of it. Our move is reaping reward already with the kids especially. They are flowrishing big style, there sporty kids and the schools just brim full of sports for them and they encourage them to express themselves and to be participate in the schools running.. They dont want to go back to the uk. We feel the same we arnt missing our relitives yet coz the pc and the phone have been getting a bettering so they arnt too far away.
Hint for all expats in NZ phoneing home .. get a card called KIWI CALL from the newsagents or petrol stations and you get 3c per minute calls unbeatable and priceless

Nude nut not nude nuts
Old Nov 29th 2005, 9:27 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

I talked to my old landlords gardener and he told me that they charge as much as $30 an hour. was thinking of doing that, but we came back to the UK.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

ranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant futureranbysue has a brilliant future

Why did you come back Lenmil?
Old Nov 29th 2005, 9:22 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ranbysue
Why did you come back Lenmil?
Our house did not sell and we ran out of money, that's really why we went back. We may have gone back anyway, but who knows. Miss it a lot and don't in others. Just check through my old posts and follow our story. Best regards Len.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.