British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   NZ immigration - is it really luck! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/nz-immigration-really-luck-870104/)

MrsFychan Jan 5th 2016 11:53 pm

Re: NZ immigration - is it really luck!

Hi Squid, so what are you actually asking?

from what you have written you can't gain a visa without a job offer. so are you asking how you go about getting a job offer and making sure that the qualification actually matches precisely to what is required and gained from a recognised establishment?

Squid1001 Jan 5th 2016 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by john_hepburn (Post 11829144)
Maybe a good idea to have a fresh start, you'll always find people are more willing to help if you have a positive attitude :)

Honestly I think I will think twice about starting again. I feel rather battered like I say I have never come across the likes of this ever! I do appreciate your advice and more gentle approach. You sound like a very wise person.

john_hepburn Jan 6th 2016 12:00 am

Oh, I'm not wise at all, I'm a bit of a twat to be honest. Nice to be nice on here though, never know who you end up talking to, could be someone that sets you up with a NZ job!

simonsi Jan 6th 2016 12:04 am

Originally Posted by Squid1001 (Post 11829152)
I do appreciate your ...more gentle approach.

I just fell off my chair at this.

You seriously need to look at your reply to dfjordan in post #4 to understand why this thread has gone the way it has.

"more gentle approach"...that will have me chuckling for days...

:amen:

simonsi Jan 6th 2016 12:06 am

Originally Posted by john_hepburn (Post 11829154)
....could be someone that sets you up with a NZ job!

Yes worth remembering many NZ job market sectors aren't that big... ;)

Squid1001 Jan 6th 2016 12:07 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11829150)

from what you have written you can't gain a visa without a job offer. so are you asking how you go about getting a job offer and making sure that the qualification actually matches precisely to what is required and gained from a recognised establishment?

I can't see my original post and so.much has happened but what I was saying when I started was this.

Note ......All without criticism or expectation.

I said I had kept my eye on NZ tried years ago but didn't have comparable experience.

I saw a programme and of course it was xmas so I miss my family. I did a self assessment which would give a low Eoi.

As the dispute went on. I think I concluded that to get a visa I would best secure a job. But without having the chance to say whilst having my quals torn apart. It was clear that to get a job I would need to finish my accounting exams.

but the catch 22 is no visa no job no job no visa!

After this though and without kicking it all off again I am wondering if the views I have seen today are standard. If so clearly I wouldn't fit in anyway. So as I say...everything happens for a reason.

I get it. People think that just because I have qualifications (2 masters 1 degree plus) that I expect NZ to fall over themselves. I know that's not true. I have devised immigration policy and I know what we needed and it wasn't people like me. It was hairdressers bricklayers etc.

I said I was too old to push for a visa without a job.

I think it was all answered but not in the best way.

MrsFychan Jan 6th 2016 12:08 am

ok thanks guys can we please get back on track now as we are just all going round in circles and not getting anywhere.

MrsFychan Jan 6th 2016 12:16 am

yes it looks like you will pretty much need a job offer. like with everyone else on here most have had to come this route. I know we did and we had to jump through hoops to get the visa application done.
My husband popped over on a reecy and was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time and was offered a position, IT, and started immediately on a temp work visa.
even with working and a permanent position on offer Immigration sent his job description for a Permanent visa back 3 times to have it rewritten as they didn't like the way it was done. Despite my daughters consultant signing her off his roll for CVS and writing a letter confirming this Immigration still referred medical for further inspection.

so its all very different for everyone, all people can give you on here is their opinions and personal experience of their process.

BEVS Jan 6th 2016 12:19 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11829161)
ok thanks guys can we please get back on track now as we are just all going round in circles and not getting anywhere.

I know.
I am a bit confused by this whole thing.

In all seriousness Squid. Are you thinking to use the skilled occupation of Management Accountant to gain residency in New Zealand please?

If not. Which occupation.

I think perhaps if you could get over your ire , then we may all help to unravel things for you. As previously stated, I am happy to give of my
time.

edit to add....

Came to the UK gained a Masters and have got work experience in a role which appears on the skilled migrant list.
Is that Management Accountant. If not which occupation please. I am not asking to pry.

The "skilled occupations list" is that the "future growth" or "absolute skills shortage" category.
No. Neither.

The skilled occupations list is a list of all occupations that NZ immigration and the NZ dept of labour deem to be skilled.
Not all occupations are seen as skilled.

There are two shortage lists.
Absolute shortage where there are bonus points to be had under the Skilled Migrant Category.
Immediate shortage list which is there to help N employers gain the employees they need. That could be a route to residency IF the occupation and job offer meets certain criteria.

The skilled occupations cat, is that the one that refers to job offers, and thats why its either qualification and/or work experience? Or can that cat be used for a visa application without a job offer?
No. The Skilled Migrant Category is a points based system. You have enough points which are validated , you are in with a shot.

Yes. If an application holds 140 points or more without a job offer, then it is in with a good chance.

No. It is not about luck. It is about being able to fill the criteria for any of the NZIS categories.

No. It is not about NZ not wanting people or being difficult in some way. NZ is a small country . It does need people but it has to be mindful for the people it currently has as resident or citizens. So, it has lists and requirements to match NZ needs.

Squid1001 Jan 6th 2016 12:20 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11829161)

well.i had kept an eye on what was required yes. I think you guys use the aus and nz accounting body who I have already contacted.

It's really just the catch 22 isn't it. Visa job. It's been pointed out though that there are lots of home grown accountants in nz so there is no shortage. I think my post was really more about how long it takes to plan prepare then do. But now as we get older other issues pop up. Say if we had got in 4 years ago it would have been ok but now we're getting to the point of no go because my kids are getting up toward 20. Add another 24 months to finish accounting exams it would be too late.

to get to this point in my logic though....yes this has been a very useful discussion. Thank you.

Squid1001 Jan 6th 2016 12:23 am

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 11829157)
I just fell off my chair at this.

You seriously need to look at your reply to dfjordan in post #4 to understand why this thread has gone the way it has.

"more gentle approach"...that will have me chuckling for days...

:amen:

Can you please stop PM me. Thanks

Squid1001 Jan 6th 2016 12:27 am

Originally Posted by john_hepburn (Post 11829154)
Oh, I'm not wise at all, I'm a bit of a twat to be honest. Nice to be nice on here though, never know who you end up talking to, could be someone that sets you up with a NZ job!

It's like that in UK though. Always keeping one eye open. I never ever use forums. I read but never ever comment for that reason. Today I did though.

simonsi Jan 6th 2016 12:34 am

Originally Posted by Squid1001 (Post 11829179)
Can you please stop PM me. Thanks

Sure, I didn't really expect an answer to this but to prevent anyone misunderstanding what I may have sent you it was this:

"Your very first reply to dfjordan was knee-jerk and out of order, assuming a level of animosity that I and others just could not read into it.

You are clearly sensitive about your academic quals, I have no doubt they took considerable effort to get but the value the NZ job market puts on them is just that, what the market puts on them as evidenced by dfjordans post and the TV prog I referred to.

To pull back and "appreciate a more gentle approach" is just hypocrisy of the first order.

Frankly you owe dfjordan an apology.

Me, I couldn't care less what you think, as I said, I am here and you wanted advice on getting here, if you don't want it why ask?

Your responses here have been borderline trolling for effect they have been so outrageous a deliberate misreading of posts.

If you post again, with a genuine question I would do my best to answer it but I won't stand by and have you rip into others as you claim to be an innocent party, its there in black and white for all to read.

Good luck, wherever you end up."

If you have a complaint about it, feel free to ask the mods to comment.

Squid1001 Jan 6th 2016 12:36 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11829171)
yes it looks like you will pretty much need a job offer. like with everyone else on here most have had to come this route. I know we did and we had to jump through hoops to get the visa application done.
My husband popped over on a reecy and was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time and was offered a position, IT, and started immediately on a temp work visa.
even with working and a permanent position on offer Immigration sent his job description for a Permanent visa back 3 times to have it rewritten as they didn't like the way it was done. Despite my daughters consultant signing her off his roll for CVS and writing a letter confirming this Immigration still referred medical for further inspection.

so its all very different for everyone, all people can give you on here is their opinions and personal experience of their process.

thanks for that. I am on my phone in bed so can't see everything in a one'r.

It is difficult. The other struggle I have is this. I have been to Auckland but it wasn't really for us. But family live in SI now. We have never been there and I am lead to believe it's lovelly. Have I pinned for this because I miss family? I sometimes think that if it was easy it was right. If i applied and got it how would i feel? But even after making adjustments it's still majorly difficult would I be pursuing it for the wrong reasons.

Squid1001 Jan 6th 2016 12:41 am

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 11829184)
Sure, I didn't really expect an answer to this but to prevent anyone misunderstanding what I may have sent you it was this:

"Your very first reply to dfjordan was knee-jerk and out of order, assuming a level of animosity that I and others just could not read into it.

You are clearly sensitive about your academic quals, I have no doubt they took considerable effort to get but the value the NZ job market puts on them is just that, what the market puts on them as evidenced by dfjordans post and the TV prog I referred to.

To pull back and "appreciate a more gentle approach" is just hypocrisy of the first order.

Frankly you owe dfjordan an apology.

Me, I couldn't care less what you think, as I said, I am here and you wanted advice on getting here, if you don't want it why ask?

Your responses here have been borderline trolling for effect they have been so outrageous a deliberate misreading of posts.

If you post again, with a genuine question I would do my best to answer it but I won't stand by and have you rip into others as you claim to be an innocent party, its there in black and white for all to read.

Good luck, wherever you end up."

If you have a complaint about it, feel free to ask the mods to comment.

ok look enough now. Thanks to those who responded. I appreciate the time. I have gained much from this ultimately. I will leave now. I would appreciate the closing of the thread and the closing of this account.