Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ Estate Agents and Banks

NZ Estate Agents and Banks

Old Feb 1st 2017, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute
Default NZ Estate Agents and Banks

Reason we never bought in Auckland is distrust of estate agents and what we see is a fallible property market.

When an estate agent can't give you a price range but insists we place a offer with the vendor?

When the economic indicators suggest 2% to 3% interest rise over next 18 months due to global wholesale rates

When people earning an above average salary will still be paying a multiple of over 9. Really what gets me is how do the banks say they have been providing sensible lending when the 4.5 should of been in place from beginning.

Now I hear the banks are telling people not to bid at auction but await to negotiate after. Also people are now losing deposits as pre arranged finance is falling through due to valuations by bank not agreeing with inflated auction valuations. Where this scheme of being market value comes from reinforces my thoughts on banks in above.

We have lived very frugally (banking my salary living on my wife's) for last 3 years saving about the average house price in Auckland, while a friend is still sitting with the same mortgage level he started with 2 years ago - Interest only is a bank con you would be wise to avoid.

Rant over off to drink the neighbors cold beer and watch his wife char meat on the BBQ
Old Feb 1st 2017, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ Estate Agents and Banks

Originally Posted by Stuck in Auckland
Reason we never bought in Auckland is distrust of estate agents and what we see is a fallible property market.

When an estate agent can't give you a price range but insists we place a offer with the vendor?

When the economic indicators suggest 2% to 3% interest rise over next 18 months due to global wholesale rates

When people earning an above average salary will still be paying a multiple of over 9. Really what gets me is how do the banks say they have been providing sensible lending when the 4.5 should of been in place from beginning.

Now I hear the banks are telling people not to bid at auction but await to negotiate after. Also people are now losing deposits as pre arranged finance is falling through due to valuations by bank not agreeing with inflated auction valuations. Where this scheme of being market value comes from reinforces my thoughts on banks in above.

We have lived very frugally (banking my salary living on my wife's) for last 3 years saving about the average house price in Auckland, while a friend is still sitting with the same mortgage level he started with 2 years ago - Interest only is a bank con you would be wise to avoid.

Rant over off to drink the neighbors cold beer and watch his wife char meat on the BBQ
But we are the least corrupt country in the world along with Denmark!!! NZ is nigh on perfect..yeah right!!! Can't stand realtors or banks. IMO they are both removing the shirt and skin from the backs of every day people.

Greed, greed, greed. That is what drives so many people and organisations. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. It is only a matter of time before there is a revolt against the tiny minority of people who hold most of the power and money on our little planet. And I don't think it is going to be very nice.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

Interest only is a bank con you would be wise to avoid.
Yea. Once you understand that banks just create the money they "lend", you get even more pissed off.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 6:41 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

If you ask directly the salesperson should give you a range but to do so, with the way things have been happening, could actually come back to bite them on the bum if they do. People should be doing their due diligence on sales around the area and the sales person can provide you these details if you ask. but at the end of the day it is down to the potential buyer to offer what they feel is the price to purchase at for them and be happy to lose it if it goes over that and stick to their budget.

Onus really should be on the clients to have backup funds/plans in place to cover increases in interest rates, its not like they don't know it can go up as well as down and if they didn't then more research should of been called for. Unless of course if it something that you can't really plan. People need also be more willing to communicate with their lender as soon as things look like they may become difficult.
Maybe unusually but I have never had a mortgage that equates to X salary. I have worked out what I want to pay, and then asked how much mortgage I could get. If it was not enough to purchase the property then the property was not for us.

Losing deposits,? if they have not put a clause, subject to finance, then yes they can expect to lose their deposit, but who in their right mind would not put that clause in even with a firm offer from the lender, you know the lender needs to make sure their outlay is relevant to the property cost/value.

To what end?

[/QUOTE]