Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ Electrician Registration

NZ Electrician Registration

Old Jun 11th 2012, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Conor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really nice
Default NZ Electrician Registration

Hi guys

New to this forum so hello all!

I'm moving to Christchurch to work this coming December and I am very excited!. Was just wondering has anyone recently gone through the process of applying to getting registered as an electrician. I've been on the EWRB site and it's left me a bit confused. Am i right in thinking I fill out the Limited Certificate application form and not the Registration application? Or is that for people still to get their full UK qualifications?

It mentions certified copies of your qualifications, who do I get to certify the copies? Will it be City & Guilds?

If anyone has any advice or further info, it would be greatly appreciated
Many thanks
Conor
Old Jun 11th 2012, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ Electrician Registration

A certified copy is a copy of your ORIGINAL certificates from City & Guilds (or whoever) - usually a photocopy cerified (rubber stamped and signed) by say a solicitor or accountant.

Sorry cant hlp with the other points though - good luck.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Conor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really nice

Thanks ellenarosemary!
Old Jun 12th 2012, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

sparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond repute

Just send off all your orig Certificates an work history references, every thing you have to prove you are electrician. Comes back in a week no probs.
Who you going to work for? Do you have a job lined up?
Oh, then you do regs exam & stage 3 practical/ theory when you get here, ;0;
Old Jun 13th 2012, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your response peiliqueria. The ERWB doesn't ask for originals certs but certified copies. Was just wondering what that meant. Is it a case ot getting, say, a doctor/teacher/solicitor to sign them to authenticate them.

Been in touch with a few firms but i guess, as i'm due to arrive in December, nothing will really get offered yet. Aotea have been kind enough to get back in touch. I'm Ok for a Visa as my wife is applying to work as a doctor in Christchurch hospital.

I should just skypey telephone EWRB to find out exactly what they need. Was just wondering if anyone had been through a similar experience.

All I know is that we're very excited about moving to Christchurch and getting involved!!!
Old Jun 13th 2012, 11:08 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Certified copies are the norm. Use a solicitor , a Notary , a Jof P .

There are threads on here about the EWRB and what is required. I'll try and dig them up .
Old Jun 16th 2012, 8:10 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Conor

Peliqueria is almost right.

Firstly DON'T send the originals - lose them and you are in a whole new world of problems. Certified ones are just copies that are either signed or stamped by a JP, police man or any other such person who holds a warrant from the Queen. It could also be a commissioner for oaths, but they'll charge you a lot more

If you are a qualified spark in the UK then you are applying for a limited licence. The limits are that you are supervised at all times by someone who has held NZ registration for at least 3 years, AND you'll be given a time by which you will have to complete some tasks, (usually a year). This will range from a cross over exam/course and the Regs exam, to the same plus additional time, to the same plus additional time and additional exams.

It all depends on your UK qualifications and experience, (and how much you tell them in your application).

Clear as mud? Well welcome the EWRB.

If you need any other info PM me
Old Jun 19th 2012, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

04spike is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I'm just about to apply to be registered and emailed the EWRB and this was the reply they sent back... hope it helps.

Oh and thanks for the useful info sparkie down under!

Thank you for your email.

All overseas electricians who wish to register in New Zealand must first fill out a Registration/Registration Certificate/Practising Licence application form. Once the form is filled out and sent in with any relevant documentation, they will be reviewed by the Board who will then decide if you qualify to work in New Zealand as an Electrician. Payment of NZ$70.52 must be made with a NZ approved credit Card (Visa, mastercard, Amex)

It is advised that you begin your Registration application as soon as possible, as the process can take 6-8 weeks to complete.

If you go to our website, www.ewrb.govt.nz there is further information on the application process under the Overseas tab, and there is a link to the correct Registration application form. It is important that you provide as much documentation as possible, any training, qualifications and places of employment that will relate to your application. Please provide certified copies of documents, rather than the originals. If the Board decides that you are able to work in New Zealand you will then need to apply for a Limited Certificate

Our Registration officer will only accept Registration applications that are sent by post. They will not accept any emailed or faxed applications.
There is further information for overseas applicants on the website, but if you have any other questions please feel free to email us or phone through on +64 44950771.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any further queries you may have.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

joejoe90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im soon for Christchurch an jus having similar problems to filling out the registration form mainly the section 2 would i be looking for the registration cert, the reistration only or the practising licence i struggle with forms at the best of times but these seem to be difficult for a few?? lol

any help much appreciated??

Last edited by joejoe90; Sep 4th 2012 at 9:42 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

HeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to all

Just a wee addition - we got our certified copies from a registrar and the EWRB accepted them. It cost £15 for the lot. Much cheaper than a solicitor.

HeatherGirl