NZ dilemma

Old Feb 12th 2016, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ dilemma

Originally Posted by AndyCampbell
Question: So are Kiwis open to folk telling them what they think i.e. the two-way dialogue?
As long as you are open to being called a whinging (rich) POM taking the food from the poor NZ unemployed workers. I reckon you could get a good two way 'dialogue' going
Old Feb 12th 2016, 8:15 am
Banned

AndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Woodlea
What annoys a lot of brits is the migrants to the UK that don't assimilate and want to impose their stone age ways in their new home, like the denigration of women and sharia law for example.
may I say - a very poor example

The UK is by far a multi-cultural society
Old Feb 12th 2016, 8:25 am
Banned

AndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of lightAndyCampbell is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kotare
As long as you are open to being called a whinging (rich) POM taking the food from the poor NZ unemployed workers. I reckon you could get a good two way 'dialogue' going
The Kiwis should know better than to label a Scot a ‘Pommie’
Old Feb 12th 2016, 10:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Question: So are Kiwis open to folk telling them what they think i.e. the two-way dialogue?
Most of the time, absolutely not. Occasionally you do meet the odd one who is open to new ideas but sadly they are a rarity. They are usually married to a foreigner or have lived and worked in another country for a year or more.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 5:43 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on whether you are one of the poms who likes 'telling it like it is' in which case you will hear sullen silence, or are willing to listen and learn from people with different backgrounds without always comparing things to the UK, in which case you will get more engagement.

Also, remember that a very high proportion of Aucklanders have lived outside of NZ, so you may find yourself enjoying conversations with a wide range of people.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
It depends on whether you are one of the poms who likes 'telling it like it is' in which case you will hear sullen silence, or are willing to listen and learn from people with different backgrounds without always comparing things to the UK, in which case you will get more engagement.

Also, remember that a very high proportion of Aucklanders have lived outside of NZ, so you may find yourself enjoying conversations with a wide range of people.
Not just Aucklanders, a common figure bandied about is a million kiwis overseas (semi permanently eg Australia or on OE). Of course Brit migrants to NZ are well read, knowledgeable creme de la creme but you might be surprised at the extensive experience of a high percentage of kiwis compared to Brits etc :-)
Old Feb 12th 2016, 9:15 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jmh

I did ask in another thread if the term ‘pom’ is used often in NZ, it seems it is. Is this not regarded as a racial term ?
Old Feb 12th 2016, 9:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Kotare
Not just Aucklanders, a common figure bandied about is a million kiwis overseas (semi permanently eg Australia or on OE). Of course Brit migrants to NZ are well read, knowledgeable creme de la creme but you might be surprised at the extensive experience of a high percentage of kiwis compared to Brits etc :-)
I don’t get that ? If NZ is such a awesome place why is 25% of the Kiwi population not in NZ ?
Old Feb 12th 2016, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm, let me guess, your being sarcastic

The same reason there are so many jocks who love scotland not in scotland, but out here annoying the rest of us.
Attached Thumbnails NZ dilemma-d0ba575ba162c64e6c651a0cf7f429e8a4712c6a8387ab74333a0493809d5a97.jpg  
Old Feb 12th 2016, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

I don’t get that ? If NZ is such a awesome place why is 25% of the Kiwi population not in NZ ?
You need some background into New Zealand's deregulation of the 80'-90's which was more extreme than in most other countries.
Think Ireland losing all it's youth or Greece today.

Many New Zealander's were driven out because of the deliberate neoliberal policy of unemployment and poverty implemented by both Labour and National (is there any difference?).

If you don't believe me and you've got an hour and a half to spare, watch this documentary to the end:

In a Land of Plenty | Film | NZ On Screen
Old Feb 12th 2016, 10:07 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Justcol
Hmmmm, let me guess, your being sarcastic

The same reason there are so many jocks who love scotland not in scotland, but out here annoying the rest of us.
You are obviously well read on the NZ Company history.

I guess we are going to start with the names calling ? How sad !
Old Feb 12th 2016, 10:09 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by LoCarb
You need some background into New Zealand's deregulation of the 80'-90's which was more extreme than in most other countries.
Think Ireland losing all it's youth or Greece today.

Many New Zealander's were driven out because of the deliberate neoliberal policy of unemployment and poverty implemented by both Labour and National (is there any difference?).

If you don't believe me and you've got an hour and a half to spare, watch this documentary to the end:

In a Land of Plenty | Film | NZ On Screen
Thanks I'll have a watch of that when I have the time. May explain a lot . Cheers