Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ authors & books about NZ

NZ authors & books about NZ

Old Aug 18th 2006, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default NZ authors & books about NZ

I enjoy reading and have belonged to bookgroups in the past. So here are a few questions for you. We did this on the OZ forum and had a great response.

Are there any bookworms on the forum?

Anyone go to a bookgroup in NZ?

Anyone read any good books by NZers?

Anyone read any goods about NZ?
Old Aug 18th 2006, 11:07 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ authors & books about NZ

Originally Posted by helinuk
I enjoy reading and have belonged to bookgroups in the past. So here are a few questions for you. We did this on the OZ forum and had a great response.

I read copious amounts of just about anything, have been known to go to bed with an encyclopedia if I can't find anything else. My ex-husband once famously said " Five chapters is not foreplay you know!" As I said - ex husband. Read anything from fantasy fiction to whodunnits, it's all grist to the mill
Old Aug 18th 2006, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karonious
I read copious amounts of just about anything, have been known to go to bed with an encyclopedia if I can't find anything else. My ex-husband once famously said " Five chapters is not foreplay you know!" As I said - ex husband. Read anything from fantasy fiction to whodunnits, it's all grist to the mill
LOL- it's my husband who reads before sleep- he knows he has option- 'either - or' not both
My goal this holiday is to read the new Robert Goddard book I had for my birthday - in May! I love reading it's just that we were both doing the TESOL course Jan- June and working so haven't had much spare time!
I want to get back to some good books.
Who is your favourite author?
Old Aug 18th 2006, 12:33 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

LOL- it's my husband who reads before sleep- he knows he has option- 'either - or' not both
My goal this holiday is to read the new Robert Goddard book I had for my birthday - in May! I love reading it's just that we were both doing the TESOL course Jan- June and working so haven't had much spare time!
I want to get back to some good books.
Who is your favourite author?
Gracious, where to start? Read C S Lewis from an early age, all his planet books too, he did a really poignant one aboiut grief as well. Stven King & Peter Straub's the Talisman is my favourite book ever, Kathy Reichs features high on my list at the moment and as our daughter is reading a lot of Enid Blyton at the moment, I couldn't resist a dip into that as well - how did theose kids ever manage without mobiles and computers?
Old Aug 18th 2006, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

I thoroughly recommend The History of New Zealand by Michael King

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0...books&v=glance

I read it while we were on holiday over there at Easter and it helped me make up my mind to move. Its very readable, not too dry or factually boring, in fact it was quite un-put-downable.

Once were Warriors by Alan Duff is something I want to read but they didn't have at the airport, perhaps I'll get it here

For fiction Soul Survivor by Derek Hansen was an excellent read

Anyone have any recommendations of good Kiwi fiction?
Old Aug 18th 2006, 12:49 pm
conquering the world!

Originally Posted by Woodlea

I read it while we were on holiday over there at Easter and it helped me make up my mind to move. Its very readable, not too dry or factually boring, in fact it was quite un-put-downable.

Once were Warriors by Alan Duff is something I want to read but they didn't have at the airport, perhaps I'll get it here

The only NZ author I can come up with off the top of my head is Ngaio Marsh, Over 100 titles under her belt mostly crime fiction. I have read some of her books but I read ridiculous amounts and can't say that any have really stuck in my mind as being brilliant.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

The only NZ author I can come up with off the top of my head is Ngaio Marsh, Over 100 titles under her belt mostly crime fiction. I have read some of her books but I read ridiculous amounts and can't say that any have really stuck in my mind as being brilliant.
I think I tried one of her's once and found it a tad old fashioned plus I couldn't pronounce her first name!
Old Aug 18th 2006, 1:10 pm
conquering the world!

I think I tried one of her's once and found it a tad old fashioned plus I couldn't pronounce her first name!
I come from Rothes and visited Turra show a long time ago!
Old Aug 18th 2006, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

I come from Rothes and visited Turra show a long time ago!
Nice one - whiskey country, I don't think I've ever been through Rothes, been through Craigallechie though on my way to the hills. Nice area, bit more rugged than the Turra area. Far ye gang?
Old Aug 18th 2006, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you for those - the reviews on Amazon are worth reading.
The history of NZ looks like an interesting book to read before coming to NZ.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've just looked on ebay and found 59 books for sale. I see what you mean re old they were written in the 50s.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 4:50 pm
conquering the world!

Nice one - whiskey country, I don't think I've ever been through Rothes, been through Craigallechie though on my way to the hills. Nice area, bit more rugged than the Turra area. Far ye gang?
Woodlea, Rothes is a place to go through, not to live in! Most famous for Glen Grant whisky - my Grandfather reputedly pickled in it! Finish work 7th Sept, heading up to say goodbye to our 3 grown sons. I mentioned this on another post - I am so not looking forward to that. We are really keen to get to NZ, but at the moment I can't think past goodbye. It almost be a relief to have it over and done with so we can get on with the rest of our lives. No 1 son has a webcam so it won't seem so far. We're off to Hamilton I am Mrs Stevie B but got fed up of arm wrestling him into submission every time I wanted to play so bravely struck out on my own. Ngaio Marsh - vintage reading, Sometimes its good to be transported back to a simpler age.

Last edited by karonious; Aug 18th 2006 at 4:56 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea, Rothes is a place to go through, not to live in! Most famous for Glen Grant whisky - my Grandfather reputedly pickled in it! Finish work 7th Sept, heading up to say goodbye to our 3 grown sons. I mentioned this on another post - I am so not looking forward to that. We are really keen to get to NZ, but at the moment I can't think past goodbye. It almost be a relief to have it over and done with so we can get on with the rest of our lives. No 1 son has a webcam so it won't seem so far. We're off to Hamilton I am Mrs Stevie B but got fed up of arm wrestling him into submission every time I wanted to play so bravely struck out on my own. Ngaio Marsh - vintage reading, Sometimes its good to be transported back to a simpler age.
I think you'd need a strong arm to wrestle the mouse off StevieB - he's already got 168 posts - mostly trivia may I add, yours seem to be on a higher plane! Good luck in Hamilton. I think we drove past it on the way from Auckland to Waitomo on our trip. I always had my sights set on Canterbury. I finish work on 15th Sept and we fly on 27th, and start work again on 1st November, for a company in New Plymouth, offshore so it doesn't matter where we live. Just liked the look of the weather on the South Island from the internet.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of

Joe Bennett - A Land of Two Halves

Joe Bennett had lived in NZ for 15 years and decided to hitchhike around both islands.

An absolutely fantastic book.

ALSO

Steve Horrell - Emigrating to New Zealand

A must for everyone in our shoes!!
Old Aug 18th 2006, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of

I'm sure, if you're on this site then you have watched/read Billy Connolly World Tour of New Zealand, if not....................you must!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.