Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

NZ. 3rd best place in the world to live.

NZ. 3rd best place in the world to live.

Old Nov 14th 2010, 9:29 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NZ. 3rd best place in the world to live.

It can really be astonishing how little people here in Europe know about other countries even though we often pride in knowing the best. A good example was when Finland lost to Moldova in the Euro 2012 qualifiers, a lot of people here in Finland commented that they had never known that such a country as Moldova even existed but yet the same people say that people outside of Finland who know nothing about Finland are ignorant fools; as if Finland was the centre of the universe and people everywhere were thinking about Finland 24/7.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

tkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Nail, head
simple and to the point --- like it!!
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Tray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Genesis
There is part of me that would love to live in Oz. I have always thought it is the way better country in many, many respects and have spent time in both countries. However the heat in most places would frazzle me and the sheer size of the place I find a wee bit daunting. Tazzy would be my only option.

However it all comes down to psyche for me at the end of the day and whilst I can see the tangible delights of Oz far out weigh those of NZ my psyche and that of NZ are far better suited. I am odd and NZ is odd thus we are well paired. Oz is way more mainstream and up there in the normality stakes. Pretty much like the rest of the western world. NZ is quirky and very eccentric..in some ways it drives you mad but in others it really makes it feel like its the only place i have ever been able to truly call 'home'.

In precis I am surprised there are not more kiwis in Oz!!!! Eventually it will be just me and the odd kiwi bird. BTW the one frigging thing we don't want from Oz is their bloody redback spider which has moved in lock stock and barrel. Do not over worry whilst they are 'deadly' they rarely do you in. Apparently however the pain is utterly unbearable. If you don't want to meet them avoid warm dry places. Thus we are safe in Palmerston North and can feel happy in the knowledge that given those aforementioned indicators on their ideal climate they will never ever settle here. However we may well get an infestation of water bettles.
I agree
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

tkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nice

i dont think i have any expectations, except a slower pace of life, but maybe in my subconscious i have many of them.
my husband moved to uk from uganda to study, met me, married me, gave up his african life to help me bring up my children.
now we both want a change, but uganda maybe not the safest place for us, white people are considerred very rich, and so a target. he worries about me.
this is what we think we are going to get,
1, a climate similar to the uk
2, a slower pace of life, less hustel and bustle, half day closing, min sunday trading etc
3, a cleaner environment
4, a freindly place
and beyond that we dont know, any education would be welcome
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:08 pm
ble
Forum Regular

ble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by simonsi
I´m stumped, why did you move? and why do you stay (assuming you have family ties in the UK)??
We are a 'mixed' family.
I am from NZ, and OH from UK. Kids (so far) all born in UK.

So for us, it wasn't a push out of the UK, but an ability to move between the countries with no stress invovled. A chance for an adventure, an experience and to see what it is all about. I left NZ a year out of Uni, so had really spent my independent working years out of the country. So my experience here (NZ that is) was all from a child and student.

Strong family ties in both countries.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:11 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point

Kiwilass- It begins to seem to me that you have some very deep-seated issues with NZ. The tone and hostility of your posts towards NZ suggests that. Did you have an unhappy childhood and youth growing up in NZ? I can understand it is easy to start hating an entire country based on one's own experiences but it is still wrong.

Besides, the very fact that you contribute to this site tells us that you still have NZ in you. You can take a person out of NZ but you can't take NZ out of a person.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:19 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ble
We are a 'mixed' family.
I am from NZ, and OH from UK. Kids (so far) all born in UK.

So for us, it wasn't a push out of the UK, but an ability to move between the countries with no stress invovled. A chance for an adventure, an experience and to see what it is all about. I left NZ a year out of Uni, so had really spent my independent working years out of the country. So my experience here (NZ that is) was all from a child and student.

Strong family ties in both countries.
Ah, thanks for the explanation, I was struggling to see what you were getting out of the move either way. "Chance for an adventure" chimes with us though!
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:27 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tkirya
1, a climate similar to the uk
2, a slower pace of life, less hustel and bustle, half day closing, min sunday trading etc
3, a cleaner environment
4, a freindly place
and beyond that we dont know, any education would be welcome
Well 1 should be on average warmer and wetter than the UK (Scottish highlands vs Southern Alps excepted.

2 isn't so for us (dont mind), most things useful seem to trade 7 days around us on the North Shore, again small town NZ will be different I dare say.

3, yep definitely less litter around, that may be a function of population BUT here is a story from just yesterday at the beach. We went down about 5pm just to give the girls a run around and play. A group of teenagers were clearly closing down ther all-day get-together, the wind was quite blustery by then and a carrier bag got taken by the wind and hauled off towards the sea. The group watched it go. Mrs simonsi had just commented that they were going to let it blow off when TWO of the group got up and raced each other for it! Brought a smile to our faces esp as the race finished in the shallows...so in my opinion NZ (and partcularly NZ youth) seem to care more about their litter, in general and on average. Still see occasional McD droppings from cars etc though

4. Yes, I have never been engaged in conversation by others like I have hear, no commercial transaction necessary just everyone seems to have a genuine interest in your day....expats and locals alike.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:29 pm
ble
Forum Regular

ble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud of

Ah, thanks for the explanation, I was struggling to see what you were getting out of the move either way. "Chance for an adventure" chimes with us though!
Only fair really that my OH gets to have some years at life here. Seeing as I had some over there.
But as teh kids start moving through primary school it is time for one last move.

No regrets.
But the big wide world still beckons for me, and my children. I had dreams of visiting the 100 acre wood when I was wee, and found out that it really existed. But in the 80's there was no chance of a trip across to the UK. We did 2 childhood trips to Australia when I was growing up. That was huge back then, very few of my friends had been on a plane let alone had a passport.
My 4 year old has just discovered teh same thing (the wood exists that is) and neither of us have made it there yet.
So a trip to play pooh sticks on the bridge is called for (and please no one from the area ruin my dream that it isn't there and doesn't exist).
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Well 1 should be on average warmer and wetter than the UK (Scottish highlands vs Southern Alps excepted.

2 isn't so for us (dont mind), most things useful seem to trade 7 days around us on the North Shore, again small town NZ will be different I dare say.

3, yep definitely less litter around, that may be a function of population BUT here is a story from just yesterday at the beach. We went down about 5pm just to give the girls a run around and play. A group of teenagers were clearly closing down ther all-day get-together, the wind was quite blustery by then and a carrier bag got taken by the wind and hauled off towards the sea. The group watched it go. Mrs simonsi had just commented that they were going to let it blow off when TWO of the group got up and raced each other for it! Brought a smile to our faces esp as the race finished in the shallows...so in my opinion NZ (and partcularly NZ youth) seem to care more about their litter, in general and on average. Still see occasional McD droppings from cars etc though

4. Yes, I have never been engaged in conversation by others like I have hear, no commercial transaction necessary just everyone seems to have a genuine interest in your day....expats and locals alike.
that brought a smile to my face, kids running to pick up rubbish, what a breath of fresh air.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by THR
Kiwilass- It begins to seem to me that you have some very deep-seated issues with NZ. The tone and hostility of your posts towards NZ suggests that. Did you have an unhappy childhood and youth growing up in NZ? I can understand it is easy to start hating an entire country based on one's own experiences but it is still wrong.

Besides, the very fact that you contribute to this site tells us that you still have NZ in you. You can take a person out of NZ but you can't take NZ out of a person.
Yes you pose some very interesting questions. Seems the cord has never been cut.
Kiwilass also calls NZ 'home'. Interesting insight. I grew up in NZ and now here I am again, however NZ is not and has never been my 'home'. I am a passport holder and for me its just a relatively easy place to live, lots of opportunity with some decent weather thrown in. 'Home' is a place inside my head not some land mass.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR
Surely no-one is silly enough to emigrate to any country where they have never even visited?
I take it you've not read much of peoples posts on this forum. I expect then that more than half the poeple on this board would fall into the category of 'silly', but then what's sillier? Perhaps to move here based upon the experience of a few weeks vacation in the well oiled tourist machine that is 'Hobbitland'.

You pays your money and takes your chances: it's like Russian Roulette and gambling absolutely everything you've ever worked for on the red or the black, with a 50:50 chance you'll love it or hate it.

As for research and being realistic, well honestly do you believe half the stuff you read here? Do you immediately filter out the perceived good from the bad? We can all temper and moderate the negative vibes and make justifications, assumptions and excuses for the poster having a bad day, being bitter, drunk or deluded. Yet, most oddly no filter seems to be required when it comes to the happy-clappy good stuff, that all gets lapped up and absorbed. If so and so says it's good, then of course it must be true. Just because someone else likes it, or gets lucky it doesn't follow suit that your experience will be anything like the same and vice versa. Looking at pictures on the internet and reading tourist tat cannot possibly give any realistic expectations of what it is like to 'live' in a country.

“The shoe that fits one person pinches another; there is no recipe for living that suits all cases.”

Carl Gustav Jung
Old Nov 15th 2010, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Jeez can we change the record...I am getting bored! Time for a flounce I think!
Old Nov 15th 2010, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

A group of teenagers were clearly closing down ther all-day get-together, the wind was quite blustery by then and a carrier bag got taken by the wind and hauled off towards the sea. The group watched it go. Mrs simonsi had just commented that they were going to let it blow off when TWO of the group got up and raced each other for it! Brought a smile to our faces esp as the race finished in the shallows...so in my opinion NZ (and partcularly NZ youth) seem to care more about their litter, in general and on average. Still see occasional McD droppings from cars etc though

Quite a different scene to the 150 youths at Castor Bay who were jumping on cars, smashing letterboxes and throwing bottles at the police on Saturday night, eh?

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/region...auckland-party
Old Nov 15th 2010, 11:05 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Quite a different scene to the 150 youths at Castor Bay who were jumping on cars, smashing letterboxes and throwing bottles at the police on Saturday night, eh?

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/region...auckland-party
Kids will be kids..... In the UK we send them to university so that they are capable of getting really organised and able to go to our Capital city and smash up a major political parties headquarters........so you think NZ party kids are a problem.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.