Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Nursing Student UK to NZ

Nursing Student UK to NZ

Old May 8th 2007, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

surfwaver is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Nursing Student UK to NZ

First of all i want to say Hello to you all on this site as i'm a newbie here!! Hope you're all well!!
Well, I wonder if anyone can offer any advice or information. I'm a second year student nurse from the UK who is due to (hopefully ) qualify next September?!! Myself and my husband (no kids) would really love to emigrate over to NZ as we spent three weeks there two years ago within the South Island and absolutely loved every minute of it and the lifestyle over there.
I've looked into it and i understand that i won't be able to work within the Health Authority if i come over with no experience as a newly qualified nurse but would i be able to get work within another setting or residential home?? Also, i'm not sure how the nursing system runs over there but do they accept nursing assistants from the UK also?? Thanks for reading this post and i look forward to hearing your opinions/advice x
Old May 8th 2007, 8:31 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing Student UK to NZ

Hi and welcome

My wife is an ODP and they HAVE to be registered in NZ with thei governing body NZATS and must have 2 years post graduate experience. Im not sure about nurses but I suspect a similar rule will apply.

Do you have enough points to come to NZ without your qualifications as a nurse?

If so you may be able to come over and then finish off your training here if someone is prepared to let you. Just an idea
Old May 10th 2007, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing Student UK to NZ

Hello
First of all complete your training in the UK, then come over. You cannot just transfer on to a NZ course. Which branch are you doing?

Secondly my advice would be to gain some UK experience, up to one year preferably before you look to work in NZ. NZ has what is known as a "new grad" year, almost akin to a 4th year of study. Do a google search for Nurse entry to practice (NETP) and this will explain the conditions that make it difficult for overseas trained nurses to get a place. Once you qualify in the UK apply for NZ registration (NZ nursing council - down load the forms). This can take up to 3 months. You do not need a certain amount of experience to apply to register in NZ, you can apply as soon as you are registed in the UK.

Salaries in the DHB's (hospitals/district health boards), go up in yearly steps for the first 5 years from $40,000 (new grad) to $54,000 5 years plus experience. You will find vacancies in resthomes etc, willing to take on a "new grad", but check out terms and conditions and remember hospital level care homes (what we know as nursing homes in the UK) are VERY different to the uk.

You will have no difficulty with immigration with a nursing qualification.

Any specific questions just send a PM and good luck with your studies.

Gill