Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Nursing Opportunties Help Sought

Nursing Opportunties Help Sought

Old Jan 23rd 2013, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

shellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Nursing Opportunties Help Sought

Hello,

I was hoping to get some advice from any nurses who managed to find a job while still abroad. My wife has already gotten her registration with the NZ Nursing Council and has been selected from the pool under the skilled migration category. Whilst it’s not dependent on her having a job offer, we really need to secure her a job before we (fingers crossed :-) hopefully arrive in the Christchurch area in late March.

She has over 9 years work experience at a major US hospital in the medical/critical care/cardiac surgery step down unit. She is also fluent in Japanese and has fantastic job references etc. She has registered with the Canterbury Health District for open position (as well as indeed.co.nz) but there doesn’t really seem to be any openings. We really would like to be located in Christchurch but are now considering other areas as a last resort in the South Island.

I’m wondering if openings for nurses are not that frequent or whether you need to be in the country before landing something. She has not contacted any recruiters yet. Any suggestions/experiences from other nurses would be very most welcome.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing Opportunties Help Sort

Not a nurse but I secured my first midwifery job by using Tonix Recruitment http://www.tonix.co.nz/

You can of course just apply direct to the DHB's but I chose to use an agency. Tonix were amazing, helped with everything from getting a job, sorting out a relocation package, ensuring I had everything visa and registration wise all sorted and collection from the airport..and all for free.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Trish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really nice
Default Re: Nursing Opportunties Help Sought

I applied directly to the DHB for my job, had a telephone interview and was offered the job while my nursing registration was still going through.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trish M
I applied directly to the DHB for my job, had a telephone interview and was offered the job.

+1
Old Jan 25th 2013, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trish M
I applied directly to the DHB for my job, had a telephone interview and was offered the job while my nursing registration was still going through.
Same here
Old Jan 25th 2013, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Jobry01 will become famous soon enoughJobry01 will become famous soon enough

I applied to DHB direct and got job before I had even started the process of immigration
Look at Kiwihealthjobs.com you can register and filter what kind of job you are looking for, good luck
Old Jan 26th 2013, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

shellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond repute

Hello All,

Thank you for all of your helpful responses. My wife just registered with tinix, and will continue to check out the CDHB to see what positions come up. I'm assuming it's also the slow period at the moment for potential jobs, so hopefully that will change in the next few weeks
Old Jan 27th 2013, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

karin is an unknown quantity at this point

I applied via DHB via a British nursing magazine got my job via phone interview, was supposed to start last week but have only just received my registration due to training hospital problems, I am still awaiting immigration. The hospital has put my job on hold. Getting the job was the easiest part for me. Good luck to you.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

moondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to allmoondust_frenzy is a name known to all

Can I ask what nursing magazine you used Karin as I am at the job hunting stage now in my move just had my verification sent from the NMC to NZ so reg should be sorted very soon.

I have applied to some DHB but no success not sure if Im doing something wrong

Thanks
Old Jan 27th 2013, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

karin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, The job offer was in the AfPP, a monthly magazine, for theatre staff. It just said do you want a new job in a new country etc etc, I replied and had a response within weeks before I had even started immigration proceedings.