Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Nursing - Agency or Direct?

Nursing - Agency or Direct?

Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

JoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the rough
Default Nursing - Agency or Direct?

Hi, RGN Brit' currently in UK - Can anyone tell me of their experiences /pro's and con's of using Nursing Agency or applying direct - and if the agencies charge?..
Can email direct in confidence if preferred..Tnx
Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing - Agency or Direct?

Originally Posted by JoanMC
Hi, RGN Brit' currently in UK - Can anyone tell me of their experiences /pro's and con's of using Nursing Agency or applying direct - and if the agencies charge?..
Hi,

I've been working at Capital & Coast DHB for 4 weeks, been in NZ for 6 weeks. I looked online on District Health Boards direct. Applied direct, had phone interview and was offered job direct. I think it ws quicker, and you'll owe no one nothing. That way if you aren't happy you can move on.
Hope this helps.
When are you coming over, and do you know what area you want to live in.
I don't know how far along the process you are, but make sure the first thing you do is get your police checks (subjects of access), you'll need 2, at £10 each. You'l need that to apply for registration. They've changed the goal posts, so if you get a job, that will speed up the immigration process.
Bye for now.
Dee
Old Aug 7th 2006, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

westies is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the rough

Hi
I work at ADHB and applied direct, paid nothing and love it!! best career move I've ever made, and lifestyle move for that matter!!
Old Aug 8th 2006, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Winnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud of

Hi Joan

I went through an agency, Geneva Health, and they were brilliant. Although it took them a while to get me a job (I'm a LD nurse) they kept in touch with any progress. Once they did find me a job the support was fantastic, they offered advice on the move and what to expect. The big plus was that through the agency I got a relocation package that consisted of 2 weeks accommodation, 2 weeks car hire and my flight reimbursed. It certainly took a lot of pressure of us. And being the lovely people they are, one of the staff met us at Auckland airport with a bag full of goodies and a big welcome. The only downside is that if you don't stay in your post for 12 months you have to pay back the cost of the relocation, although I have been told Capital & Coast don't bother too much! Hope this helps.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

JoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Boopy
Hi,

I've been working at Capital & Coast DHB for 4 weeks, been in NZ for 6 weeks. I looked online on District Health Boards direct. Applied direct, had phone interview and was offered job direct. I think it ws quicker, and you'll owe no one nothing. That way if you aren't happy you can move on.
Hope this helps.
When are you coming over, and do you know what area you want to live in.
I don't know how far along the process you are, but make sure the first thing you do is get your police checks (subjects of access), you'll need 2, at £10 each. You'l need that to apply for registration. They've changed the goal posts, so if you get a job, that will speed up the immigration process.
Bye for now.
Dee
M.Thanks, found ADHB but unable to locate Capital & Coast DHB?. One of my colleagues has been in touch with an agency called Tonix based in Christchurch..Do you know anything at all about them?..can mail off forum if preferred...Thanks again.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

M.Thanks, found ADHB but unable to locate Capital & Coast DHB?. One of my colleagues has been in touch with an agency called Tonix based in Christchurch..Do you know anything at all about them?..can mail off forum if preferred...Thanks again.
Hi Joan,
my husband and I are both children's nurses. We are emigrating in November but have both got jobs in Wellington Children's Hospital (Capital and Coast DHB). The HR e mail address is [email protected]
I went onto the hospital website in the first instance (just looked it up on internet) and looked in job vacancies (there were none for children's nurses at that time) and just took the chance and e mailed them. We sent our CVs, had telephone interviews and were offered contracts straight away. I have another contact there who deals specifically with relocation so if no luck at that website send a PM and I'll forward the details.

Dee,
as you are out there already can you recommend good areas to live? We would like to be relatively near and have 3 kids so good schools most important. Any other tips gratefully appreciated.
Donna
Old Aug 10th 2006, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by danny.f
Hi Joan,
my husband and I are both children's nurses. We are emigrating in November but have both got jobs in Wellington Children's Hospital (Capital and Coast DHB). The HR e mail address is [email protected]
I went onto the hospital website in the first instance (just looked it up on internet) and looked in job vacancies (there were none for children's nurses at that time) and just took the chance and e mailed them. We sent our CVs, had telephone interviews and were offered contracts straight away. I have another contact there who deals specifically with relocation so if no luck at that website send a PM and I'll forward the details.

Dee,
as you are out there already can you recommend good areas to live? We would like to be relatively near and have 3 kids so good schools most important. Any other tips gratefully appreciated.
Donna
Many thanks Danny & Friends; currently up the wall with juggling shift's & family. Will get back on board later.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

alcheska has a brilliant futurealcheska has a brilliant futurealcheska has a brilliant futurealcheska has a brilliant futurealcheska has a brilliant futurealcheska has a brilliant future

Hi,I am taking a 6weeks nursing course in Waiariki School in Rotorua this coming MArch 2007. After 6 weeks of schooling, i am heading to Auckland (i think the best place for us to settle). I read here that it is best to apply directly to a hospitals, for sure il be sending my CV to them before i finished my schooling. My question is will hospitals offers housing relocation? Car etc?. What are the usual offers the hosipitals can give?

Been searching this kind info to no avail.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 12:23 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you decide to work for an agency, get your own permanent visa in advance. Much safer that way as then you can leave if it doesn't work out.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 6:15 am
Carolyn

CarolynG is a jewel in the roughCarolynG is a jewel in the roughCarolynG is a jewel in the roughCarolynG is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Nursing - Agency or Direct?

I came to NZ from Wales 14months ago. I found a job through Geneva who were very good at the time but were unable to find me a job in Tauranga which is where we wanted to settle. I ended up taking a job in Auckland and moving to Tauranga after six months. So my advice would be to first decide where you want to settle as the agengies will only be able to get you work in selected area's. if you do have a prefered place to live then I would apply to that district health board direct most have useful websites with lots if imformation on how to apply from overseas.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 6:23 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Have you found the DHB websites?
Auckland DHB: http://www.adhb.govt.nz/
Counties Manakau DHB: http://www.cmdhb.org.nz/Counties/
Waitemata DHB: http://www.waitematadhb.govt.nz/wdhb/
A list of all DHBs: http://www.moh.govt.nz/moh.nsf/indexmh/contact-us-dhb

And this gives you links to the Primary Healthcare Organisations:
http://www.moh.govt.nz/moh.nsf/indexmh/contact-us-pho
Old Jan 11th 2007, 6:56 am
Banned

Mr Caton is just really niceMr Caton is just really niceMr Caton is just really niceMr Caton is just really niceMr Caton is just really niceMr Caton is just really niceMr Caton is just really niceMr Caton is just really niceMr Caton is just really nice

Originally Posted by Apple12
Have you found the DHB websites?
Auckland DHB: http://www.adhb.govt.nz/
Counties Manakau DHB: http://www.cmdhb.org.nz/Counties/
Waitemata DHB: http://www.waitematadhb.govt.nz/wdhb/
A list of all DHBs: http://www.moh.govt.nz/moh.nsf/indexmh/contact-us-dhb

And this gives you links to the Primary Healthcare Organisations:
http://www.moh.govt.nz/moh.nsf/indexmh/contact-us-pho

Talking to some nurses i know ( Hamilton is full of 'em) direct is best, but negotiate a decent relocation package, at least flights, 7 days accomadation ans $2k ( dont stay at the Abbey Travel lodge on Lorne St though i am told)

Colin
Old Jan 11th 2007, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

This is the direct recruitment website for Counties Manukau (South Auckland) and Waitemata (North Shore & Rodney)

http://jobpulse.hire.com/index.html

and http://www.careplus.co.nz/careplus/ deals with relocations.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Jan 11th 2007 at 7:45 am.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

You Guy's & Gals are great, many thanks..Bojangles, do you really dance for drinks & tips?