Nursing

Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:37 pm
tracey

tt28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nursing

Hello all,

Please excuse me but it's my first time here. We're hoping to emigrate as soon as possible, but keep hitting information stumbling blocks.

I'd be really grateful for any advice any one has on nursing in New Zealand such as whether there is a shortage and if you can get permanent jobs or if they're all temporary. I discovered that the advice from the nursing employment agencies and migration fairs isn't always that accurate and promises seem to be made that can't always be kept!

Also, has anyone tried to emigrate from the UK to NZ with a child with diabetes or other conditions. He's quite stable, but none of the usual emigration consultants can give us any advice on whether this will stop our application dead in its tracks.

Thanks for any help from you all.

Regards,

Tracey
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:52 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing

Originally Posted by tt28
Hello all,

Please excuse me but it's my first time here. We're hoping to emigrate as soon as possible, but keep hitting information stumbling blocks.

I'd be really grateful for any advice any one has on nursing in New Zealand such as whether there is a shortage and if you can get permanent jobs or if they're all temporary. I discovered that the advice from the nursing employment agencies and migration fairs isn't always that accurate and promises seem to be made that can't always be kept!

Also, has anyone tried to emigrate from the UK to NZ with a child with diabetes or other conditions. He's quite stable, but none of the usual emigration consultants can give us any advice on whether this will stop our application dead in its tracks.

Regards,

Tracey
Hi Tracey and welcome. Can't help with either nursing or diabetes but I know there are others that can and will. They'll be aliong soon.

Good luck.
Mike
Old Jul 27th 2005, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tracey and welcome

what field of nursing are you in - I can get you contact details for mental health nursing if that's your field.

I also have a contact with an allied health care recruitment agent - I'll see if they've got any nursing contacts.

let me know

As Biddy says there are a couple of families on here migrating with children with diabetes so it shouldn't stop your application but I'm sure they'll be on with advice.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 5:31 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tracey and welcome to the forum...can't help you with nursing although I suspect it is on the shortages list - Davepoole is a good one to pm about nursing...have you checked the shortages lists on the NZIS website?

With regard to diabetes, one of my kids is an insulin dependent diabetic and has just undergone her medical with no problems indicated. As long as your child's HbA1c reading is within the recommended guidelines and he has reasonable control then you should be ok...here are some links for checking out Diabetes care etc in NZ..

http://www.diabetes.org.nz/info/visitors.html

http://www2.everybody.co.nz/cgi-bin/...DaysPrune=1000

Good luck with it all...

Old Jul 27th 2005, 8:32 pm
Carolyn

CarolynG is a jewel in the roughCarolynG is a jewel in the roughCarolynG is a jewel in the roughCarolynG is a jewel in the rough

Hello all,

Regards,

Tracey

Hi Tracy,
I hope I can help with both questions. I am a nurse and have a daughter with diabetes. You'll have no problem getting a permanent nursing job in NZ. Nursing is on the list of long term skills shortages. I have just been offered two jobs on surgical wards in Auckland. I used geneva health international to help find a job. I have to say I have so far found them very helpful.

As somebody has already mentioned providing your son's diabetes is stable then it should not be a problem. We are at the stage of just having our EOI approved and have now been invited to apply for residence. if every thing goes to plan we hope to be in Auckland by mid October.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 8:42 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there
One thing you may want to check out is the health cover for kids with Diabetes. The girl I worked with had to pay for all meds and her monthly clinic. May not seem alot but better knowing than finding out at a later date.

As for jobs no worries there, there are loads of jobs for nursies.
Good Luck
Old Jul 27th 2005, 9:06 pm

ElizabethC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

Regards,

Tracey

As a NZ nurse I can assure you there are plenty of vacancies in most areas. Here is the vacancy list for Hawkes Bay..

http://www.hawkesbaydhb.govt.nz/web_...p?ID=100001811
Old Jul 28th 2005, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

binman is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.seek.co.nz/jobsearch/heal...tindustry=1211 Also try contacting th HR people at the hospitals or in the areas you re interested in. They can expedite the immigration process and often pay flight and initial accommodation. Cheers binman
Old Jul 28th 2005, 5:38 am
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Try looking in the nursing forum here- some nurses only post there and there are lots of them with great advice - good luck.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 7:43 am
tracey

Originally Posted by Joshlin
Hi Tracey and welcome

what field of nursing are you in - I can get you contact details for mental health nursing if that's your field.

I also have a contact with an allied health care recruitment agent - I'll see if they've got any nursing contacts.

let me know

As Biddy says there are a couple of families on here migrating with children with diabetes so it shouldn't stop your application but I'm sure they'll be on with advice.
Hi . I'm a theatre nurse (an old scrubber and recovery) so will be looking to stay in that field. Thanks for the reply and your help.

Regards,

Tracey
Old Jul 28th 2005, 7:47 am
tracey

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Hi Tracey and welcome to the forum...can't help you with nursing although I suspect it is on the shortages list - Davepoole is a good one to pm about nursing...have you checked the shortages lists on the NZIS website?

With regard to diabetes, one of my kids is an insulin dependent diabetic and has just undergone her medical with no problems indicated. As long as your child's HbA1c reading is within the recommended guidelines and he has reasonable control then you should be ok...here are some links for checking out Diabetes care etc in NZ..

http://www.diabetes.org.nz/info/visitors.html

http://www2.everybody.co.nz/cgi-bin/...DaysPrune=1000

Good luck with it all...
Hi Pinkie,

Thanks for the reply. It's really good to hear from someone with the same issues (sorry, that sounds really awful, but I hope you know what I mean). I'd begun to feel we were never going to get anywhere with the whole thing. We can start looking forward now and get into the whole process.
Thanks again and hope all goes well with you.
Regards,
Tracey
Old Jul 28th 2005, 7:52 am
tracey

Originally Posted by CarolynG
Hi Tracy,
I hope I can help with both questions. I am a nurse and have a daughter with diabetes. You'll have no problem getting a permanent nursing job in NZ. Nursing is on the list of long term skills shortages. I have just been offered two jobs on surgical wards in Auckland. I used geneva health international to help find a job. I have to say I have so far found them very helpful.

As somebody has already mentioned providing your son's diabetes is stable then it should not be a problem. We are at the stage of just having our EOI approved and have now been invited to apply for residence. if every thing goes to plan we hope to be in Auckland by mid October.
Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for the reply. I'll give Geneva a try as some of the other agencies seem a little flaky. Thanks also for mentioning your daughter and helping with that issue.
Good luck with your application.
Regards,
Tracey
Old Jul 28th 2005, 7:55 am
tracey

Originally Posted by bored-silly
Try looking in the nursing forum here- some nurses only post there and there are lots of them with great advice - good luck.
Bit daft and hadn't realised there was one- thanks for the tip!
Old Jul 28th 2005, 7:56 am
tracey

Originally Posted by binman
http://www.seek.co.nz/jobsearch/heal...tindustry=1211 Also try contacting th HR people at the hospitals or in the areas you re interested in. They can expedite the immigration process and often pay flight and initial accommodation. Cheers binman
Thanks for the advice and the website.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 7:56 am
tracey

Originally Posted by ElizabethC
As a NZ nurse I can assure you there are plenty of vacancies in most areas. Here is the vacancy list for Hawkes Bay..

http://www.hawkesbaydhb.govt.nz/web_...p?ID=100001811
Thanks for the advice and site. Am going to have a look after work today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.