Nurses

Old Feb 26th 2016, 7:16 am
Just Joined

Juhos9909 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Nurses

Hi we are looking to move out to NZ and looking to live between south Auckland and north of Hamilton on the east side, I am a nurse and my partner is a manager in a super market.
Could anyone tell us if part time work is possible in NZ as we have seen that some companies only take on full time staff. Is there any day case surgery hospitals or units in or around that area please. Thank you Caroline and Daniel x
Old Feb 26th 2016, 8:16 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nurses

have you looked at how you will up lift a visa. some nursing jobs are no on the shortage lists so you would need to check that and also make sure that you fit the criteria to get NZ registered which then enables you to get a job.?
Old Feb 26th 2016, 8:30 am
Just Joined

Hi Mrs F, yes my job is there on the long term list, we have enough points its just if I can find a day case unit in that area and work part time.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

I think you're gonna struggle. The available services here are just nothing like what you may expect. There aren't several hospitals and clinics dotted around the big cities like in the UK and there are many qualified, NZ experienced trained nurses already here that are struggling to find positions of their own. My wife is an RN and although didn't have any trouble getting a part time job in Wellington as a practice nurse, she has really struggled to find a part time job in Tauranga where we live and is still on a casual contract.Unless you are looking near to a major centre you'll struggle to find the types of clinics you are after as it simply isn't commercially viable. Without an adequate population and all important patients they wouldn't survive.
Look at this link :-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...in_New_Zealand
You should be particularly interested in the Auckland and Waikato Regions which cover the area you would like to live.Some GP practices have an acute care or urgent care centre within them that act like a mini A & E or Accident walk in centre which could be an option for you. There aren't many though otherwise you may have to resort to an Outpatients department.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

The area you've mentioned is pretty vague but if its where I think you think mean, there is very little (nothing) there it is simply farm land.
There are a few very small towns that will have their own medical centres, but these are really not much more than a small group practice
and all will already have their own practice nurses, believe me I know, my wife has looked at them all.

If you want to give them a go here's a link to an interactive map showing many of the medical centres
https://www.itsmyhealth.co.nz/medical-centre/search

There are also community nursing organisations such as Healthcare nz who may be able to offer something but posts are rare as rocking horse shit
Old Feb 26th 2016, 6:36 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with all these comments. Your search area will have little if no opportunities, let alone something so specific. As an experienced RN it still took me a long time to get a permanent part time role. Most employers want full time for some reason and when I was first offered part time it was 0.9FTE - so still 36 hours.

There are so many nurses here already with the very important NZ experience it is going to be hard. And don't under estimate the importance they place on NZ experience ...
Old Feb 26th 2016, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Actually depending how far into South Auckland or Hamilton I would think quite easily commutable to either Hamilton Hospital or Middlemore Hospital (South Auckland)

Auckland DHB has a 'Super clinic' - day case / elective surgery unit at Green Lane
Counties manukau has a similar superclinic at Manukau

Home | Counties Manukau Health
Home | Waikato District Health Board
http://www.healthpoint.co.nz/manukau-superclinic/
http://www.healthpoint.co.nz/greenlane-clinical-centre/

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Feb 26th 2016 at 8:03 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2016, 8:00 am
Just Joined

Hi all thank you for you advice, its looking rather grim me thinks !
Old Feb 27th 2016, 8:24 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juhos9909
What is your nursing qualification?

Do you have a degree?
Old Feb 27th 2016, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Diploma and was a band 6 in theatres, in my last job.
Old Feb 27th 2016, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, the bad news just keeps coming.A Bachelor of Nursing or Bachelor Of Health Sciences is now required to enable nurse registration in NZ which of course is the only way to get a job in the sector.Have a look at Nursing Council Of New Zealand and their requirements. You can of course apply for assessment to become registered, send your qualification details with work experience and see what they say, however I'd guess you may be under qualified in that respect. I don't think they use discretion to accept vast work experience in lieu of the Bachelor degree ?The qualification rules changed in 2013 to make it mandatory that a person wanting to become a registered nurse needed a Bachelor degree and not a Diploma. My wife was lucky and got through the registration process late 2011/early 2012 being educated up to Diploma level only.

Last edited by escapedtonz; Feb 27th 2016 at 9:03 am.
Old Feb 27th 2016, 7:56 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

as I said you need to check that you have the correct criteria to uplift a visa
Old Feb 27th 2016, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

So why then do you need to be so specific about where you live?

Notwithstanding issues of visas or qualifications which are in themselves not insurmountable, if you really want to do this you need to have a more flexible approach as to where you will live and work.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
So why then do you need to be so specific about where you live?

Notwithstanding issues of visas or qualifications which are in themselves not insurmountable, if you really want to do this you need to have a more flexible approach as to where you will live and work.
Totally agree.
If New Zealand is your goal and the only way to get here is via a job offer then wouldn't a person not have any boundaries ?
Wouldn't they consider anywhere in NZ that offered a job, just so it got you in the country and got you started down the path with the all important NZ work experience ?
Once here and after some time living and working in the place you arrived, it wouldn't be hard to look at other opportunities.

Old Feb 29th 2016, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

its looking rather grim me thinks !
i'd say it's looking a bit worse than that.

How about devon instead ??