Reload this Page >

Nurse Job interview!

Nurse Job interview!

Old Apr 12th 2011, 11:57 am
Just Joined

Bish83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nurse Job interview!

Hello everyone,

I have a telephone interview for a Nursing job at North Shore Hospital.

Any tips or advice?

Thanks.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nurse Job interview!

Originally Posted by Bish83
Hello everyone,

Any tips or advice?

Thanks.
Ok my advise for any long distance telephone interview

Preparation
Get a quiet room away from family & kids
Dress yourself as if you are going for a face to face interview (sounds strange I know but research shows that if you do that type of interview in your jammies and slippers you tend to think that way too and loose focus)
Sit upright in a chair, dining room chairs are good for this
Have a pen and paper handy
Try to use a corded phone rather than cordless, last thing you want is the battery to run out half way through it.

Actual interview
Pause before talking, remember there will be a short delay, you don't want to talk over the interviewer
Speak clearly and slowly, but not too slow you sound dumb
Have a list of certificates and training courses there that you can quote easily

Be yourself, you didn't get to the stage of telephone interview if they were not interested in you
Old Apr 13th 2011, 1:38 am
nik
Forum Regular

nik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nice

Some good advice already given, but just wanted add my two cents!

I had 2 phone interviews for my job in NZ and I went through my CV beforehand and looked at what I had written about jobs / experience and then anticipated the sort of questions they may ask such as strength / weaknesses, achievements etc. it really helped me focus on what experience I had and what I could bring to the new role.

I also googled 'interview questions' and downloaded a list of typical interview questions and went through them, again to anticipate the sort of things that may be asked.

This really helped so that when I was asked about my current job and experience I felt like i was super prepared!

Good luck
Old Apr 13th 2011, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alanmacc

Preparation
Dress yourself as if you are going for a face to face interview (sounds strange I know but research shows that if you do that type of interview in your jammies and slippers you tend to think that way too and loose focus)
Try to use a corded phone rather than cordless, last thing you want is the battery to run out half way through it.

Actual interview
Pause before talking, remember there will be a short delay, you don't want to talk over the interviewer
Have a list of certificates and training courses there that you can quote easily

Be yourself, you didn't get to the stage of telephone interview if they were not interested in you
Read up about the Treaty of Waitangi - I would be surprised if they do not ask you about it. The NZNO or NZ Nursing Nursing Council will have something that you can read in relation to this.

Good luck I am sure you will do great.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 6:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alanmacc

Preparation

Actual interview

I did one of mine after half a bottle of Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc .

Actually when I think back, that was for North Shore Hospital , although I had told HR that I was happy to talk to the Midwifery manager, I wasn't looking to get a job until I arrived in NZ. I explained that I wanted to look around units first before deciding where I wanted to work.

So we had a chat & next minute she starts asking me interview-like questions, the answers just rolled off my tongue . Then she offers me a job . Obviously HR hadn't passed on my plans. I didn't take the job in the end as when I went round I didn't like the feel of the maternity unit.

Sure you'll be fine. I prefer telephone interviews, they can't see the fear in my eyes

Good luck
Old Apr 13th 2011, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bish83
Hello everyone,

Any tips or advice?

Thanks.
Just 'be yourself' and follow the advice of the others
Old Apr 14th 2011, 8:58 am
Just Joined

Bish83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much for all your useful advice. It really helped! I had the interview last night and it went OK so fingers crossed!