Reload this Page >

numerous questions

numerous questions

Old Mar 7th 2005, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

frecka is on a distinguished road
Default numerous questions

Oh dear, another new person !!
I've diligently read all the threads here, and from this have a few questions of my own - I hope this isn't too repetitive!
Also I hope someone out there can help, and answer
I'm a psychologist with a special interest in autism, and my partner is a banker / financial sort we are keen to go and work in NZ for a year.

- We had hoped to go on a fact finding mission (3 weeks) in August but realise this is mid winter - should this put us off ? We are hoping to hire a camper van and just drive round, but having read about the wind, the atrocious driving, and the not so good roads, am now reluctant to head off into the great blue yonder in a high sided vechicle! Sensible or overreacting?

-Having had a bad bad bad driving experience before on winding country roads (albeit while driving on the "other" and hence least favoured side of the road) I am wondering is camper vanning the way to go, or can anyone recommend an alternative/better way of seeing the country. Or again is it just a matter of keeping your wits about you?

-In terms of our long term plan I have to say Oz does not appeal (though I have never been) NZ does I have read some down right horror stories on here, however on balance it seems to be mostly good experiences. Taking into consideration our occupations Psychology and Banking (we have enough points to apply) but where to go - I fancy Christchurch - can anyone offer an opinion/help?

I'm sorry if these questions come across as repetitive. Hope someone cab help

frecka
Old Mar 7th 2005, 5:44 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road
Default Re: numerous questions

Originally Posted by frecka
I've diligently read all the threads here, and from this have a few questions of my own - I hope this isn't too repetitive!
I'm a psychologist with a special interest in autism, and my partner is a banker / financial sort we are keen to go and work in NZ for a year.

- We had hoped to go on a fact finding mission (3 weeks) in August but realise this is mid winter - should this put us off ? We are hoping to hire a camper van and just drive round, but having read about the wind, the atrocious driving, and the not so good roads, am now reluctant to head off into the great blue yonder in a high sided vechicle! Sensible or overreacting?

-Having had a bad bad bad driving experience before on winding country roads (albeit while driving on the "other" and hence least favoured side of the road) I am wondering is camper vanning the way to go, or can anyone recommend an alternative/better way of seeing the country. Or again is it just a matter of keeping your wits about you?

-In terms of our long term plan I have to say Oz does not appeal (though I have never been) NZ does I have read some down right horror stories on here, however on balance it seems to be mostly good experiences. Taking into consideration our occupations Psychology and Banking (we have enough points to apply) but where to go - I fancy Christchurch - can anyone offer an opinion/help?

frecka
Out of all proportion!The roads here are not bad, i'd say they're far easier than the UK.If you saw how many camper vans go around NZ on a daily all year round basis you would realise its not a problem.
It troubles me that such utter nonsense is written about NZ......the wind
Ask yourself if you'd take a camper van over Hard Knot Pass in the UK Lakedistrict?That alone is worse than the worst tarmac road in NZ.If you stick to the tar and stay off the unsealed roads you will be fine.....enjoy it, its wonderful( i've driven around 150000kms here!)
Old Mar 7th 2005, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Sally1 will become famous soon enoughSally1 will become famous soon enough

I know many people that have done the campervan thing and loved it. We cam back in Jan from doing both islands by car and staying at different motels along the way which is another option. This can work out more expensive although some were basic and quite cheap. You need some-one from NZ to tell you about the weather in the South Island in their winter, can get cold in places. We had loads of rain when we were there (freak summer) back in Dec/Jan but still loved the beauty of the place and it didn't stop us from having an amazing time. Christchurch is very "British" compare to some places in the North Island etc. The South and North are so different but both so great. The people are wonderful, you'll have a great time.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 10:38 pm
Deb+Chris

The roads in NZ are fabulous!!! you can drive for miles in a campervan (we did) with no bother whatsoever. Some of the winding roads are hard to take sometimes but all in all it's a piece of cake.

The South Island of NZ is by far the best place on earth to see the best sights you will ever see in your life!! We were blown away.. amazing.. so utterly beautiful.. the north doesn't have a chance.. no comparison whatsoever.

Go for it.. it's a fab place to roam around and feel free.

PS: We didn't really like the campervan thing, we prefered driving and staying at motels along the way... much more civilised in my opinion, and not expensive either.

Deb

Old Mar 8th 2005, 2:03 am

ElizabethC is an unknown quantity at this point

frecka
I would have to agree with Deb+Chris as regards to travel mode. Camper vans are great for a long leisurely look around but considering it's mid-winter, I'd be more inclined to hire a car and use motels. Either way, I wouldn't worry too much about wind or bad roads. And if you should meet me on the road, I promise my driving is not atrocious - I've even been known to indicate when I'm turning! .

As far as jobs go the main centres are probably better for you. Having said that, Napier is a pretty good place to live . Good luck!

Elizabeth
Old Mar 9th 2005, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: numerous questions

Thank You all very much for your help and advice Really put my (neurotic) mind at ease.
We have decided to hire a car and do the motel / hostel option.

Cheers :-)
Old Mar 9th 2005, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thank You all very much for your help and advice Really put my (neurotic) mind at ease.
We have decided to hire a car and do the motel / hostel option.

Cheers :-)
Apex are 100% New Zealand owned company for car hire and we found them cheaper than Avis, Budget etc.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sally
Apex are 100% New Zealand owned company for car hire and we found them cheaper than Avis, Budget etc.
Forgot to say - get a copy of Jasons guide to motels, you can order on line and just pay postate only for the book. Has comprehensive info on motels in all areas. Or the AA guide in NZ.

www.jasons.co.nz
Old Mar 9th 2005, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

KiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to all
Smile Re: numerous questions

We went over last August for three weeks. We did the North Island in a camper van which was brilliant!! The kids loved it and so did hubby and I. Would definitely do it again. The weather was good for saying it was the depths of winter. We dropped the camper off at Wellington, got the ferry over to the South Island and picked up our hire car. We toured the South Island in the car, staying at Top Ten Holiday Parks which were fantastic value for money.

We were unsure what clothes we would need before we went so we took combat trousers, tee shirts and fleeces and a good waterproof coat each. That worked out about right. I can honestly say we had a little bit of everything weather wise. We were sunbathing on Takepuna Beach in the North, and we went skiing at Coronet Peak in the South.

There's everything you could ever want in New Zealand.

Can't wait to get back there.......
Old Mar 9th 2005, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Wow !

Everyone is so helpful - again thanks.
We had considered changing our plans to travel to NZ early September, but now am rethinking - I actually want to se NZ from as objective a viewpoint as possible i.e. without the tourism, and in the "low" season. So I think we will go for late August to early September. Perhaps I am judging winter from a grim Irish perspective! I am so grateful for the very practical advice especially regarding car hire, motels and clothing to bring. I read in the Rough Guide that its best to buy as much as possible over there because it is cheaper, and Sterling will purchase more over here. I trust we can buy what we need in Christchurch - it will be the most basic of hiking clothes !!

I read on another thread that Singapore Airlines are the best, and having researched my flight on expedia.com and travelocity.com, I can say that the cheapest flights so far I found on the Singapore Airlines site.
I know its an obvious observation - but bloody long flights - we are opting for no stopover, just a 3 hour turn round in Singapore, and flying direct into Christchurch. A friend observed that we are mad not to go for a stop over. Does anyone here have any feelings/experiences on this?
I just want to get to NZ and get the feel for it as soon as possible - however I am not usually able to sleep on aircraft and will probably arrive there in an advanced psychosis due to sleep deprivation!!
Old Mar 9th 2005, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

I read on another thread that Singapore Airlines are the best, and having researched my flight on expedia.com and travelocity.com, I can say that the cheapest flights so far I found on the Singapore Airlines site.
I know its an obvious observation - but bloody long flights - we are opting for no stopover, just a 3 hour turn round in Singapore, and flying direct into Christchurch. A friend observed that we are mad not to go for a stop over. Does anyone here have any feelings/experiences on this?
I just want to get to NZ and get the feel for it as soon as possible - however I am not usually able to sleep on aircraft and will probably arrive there in an advanced psychosis due to sleep deprivation!!
Hi Frecka,
I have always done my flights without a stopover, once 7 months pregnant on my own with a 7 and 4 year old (not to be reccommended).

Singapore airlines are great, little screens in the backs of chairs, great with kids.
Singapore airport in my opinion is the best I have ever seen. Lovely to walk around, you can get a shower and even a swim in their pool.
They have a web site which shows you all their amenities, sorry can't remember it but you can do a google search.
Would not recommend going throu the states, major hassel even as a transit.
Good luck
KAZ
Old Mar 9th 2005, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

javajive will become famous soon enoughjavajive will become famous soon enough

Wow !

I too would agree that Singapore Airlines are the best (whoops should I be
saying that when wife hasn't got her annual booking in yet).
Service second to none and great onboard entertainment.

Singapore Airport is very well equiped, spotlessly clean and not too big,
there is even a hotel on the air side (before immagration).
There are also showers freshen up and a small supermarket.

Personally I would recommend having a stopover.
The package deals that Singapore Airlines do are cheap,
include transfers and the hotels are good quality.
Breaking the journey by 12 hours with 8 hours of that in a real
bed makes a big different to how you feel facing the next leg
and how you feel when you arrive. But it does depend on how
pressed for time you are.

If you book on line you can join their frequent flyer program
which is also linked with BMI and AirNZ.

Have a good flight.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by javajive
I too would agree that Singapore Airlines are the best (whoops should I be
saying that when wife hasn't got her annual booking in yet).
Service second to none and great onboard entertainment.

Singapore Airport is very well equiped, spotlessly clean and not too big,
there is even a hotel on the air side (before immagration).
There are also showers freshen up and a small supermarket.

Personally I would recommend having a stopover.
The package deals that Singapore Airlines do are cheap,
include transfers and the hotels are good quality.
Breaking the journey by 12 hours with 8 hours of that in a real
bed makes a big different to how you feel facing the next leg
and how you feel when you arrive. But it does depend on how
pressed for time you are.

If you book on line you can join their frequent flyer program
which is also linked with BMI and AirNZ.

Have a good flight.
We did Singapore Airlines too. They are fantastic and lovely service. My husband hates long haul but the leg room is quite spacious. The TV choice is good and you would be surprised how you can pass the time away....they have head rests that fold it to support the sides of your neck to sleep too. Don't forget the leg exercises. We opted for the Stopover of a day and a half. Works out at about £50.00 for a couple with a stopover either side of the holiday. All the hotels are arranged for you and the service is great. We were exhausted and used Singapore to sleep as you can feel quite sick and lifeless. We flew into Christchurch and then flew home out of Auckland. That route is best instead of LA bound because jetjag is worse going east. As we have been there recently, only been back 5/6 weeks, please feel free to ask any questions, it's all fresh in my mind. It is a beautiful place. Can't wait to go back for good.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Tayberry will become famous soon enoughTayberry will become famous soon enough

Hello Frecka!!
Listen, you would be mad not to stop over in Singapore!! As someone else said, you get the brilliant Singapore Stopover deal whereby you get reduced hotel rates, free admission to various sightseeing activities and free hotel/airport transfers. I flew with Singapore Airlines coming out to NZ-they are absolutely brilliant-excellent inflight entertainment, constant attention from the trolley dollies and a free bar!! It's an exhausting flight, even just from Heathrow to Singapore alone. I thought the people who were stopping over for just a few hours were completely crazy because (a) they were missing out on seeing a fantastic island and (b) it's so exhausting but having said that, people do have their reasons for doing the virtual straight flight so I don't want to see hyper-critical of their reasons!!!

I've purposely chosen to fly with Singapore Airlines again going home. I love Singapore and it's on my top list of places to consider moving to at some point in my life!! I'm spending another week there on my way home.

Honestly Frecka, I couldn't recommend enough that you fly with them and take the opportunity to see the island. It does help a bit with the jet lag too.
Looking forward to hearing how you get on!! Kind regards, Iona
Old Mar 10th 2005, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

Tayberry will become famous soon enoughTayberry will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sally
That route is best instead of LA bound because jetjag is worse going east.
Actually Sally, it's worse for jet lag flying via Singapore as you are flying east. If you fly via LA, you are flying west!!! Sorry -not trying to be pedantic!! I also agree with you about the personal TV's-they are brilliant on the flights-they really pass the time away.

Oooo, another thing-I'm paying $500 for 7 nights at the Carlton Hotel (4 Star)via the Singapore Stopover deal. That works out about £200 roughly which isn't bad for a single traveller-even cheaper for a couple.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.