Nothing to do?

Old Oct 8th 2008, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

steved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nice
Default Nothing to do?

It makes me tired. Again and again I read posts here and there about there being nothing for young people to do here. It's not a New Zealand problem. I used to hear it for years back in the UK too. In one place I lived I was closely involved in the running of our Community Centre and heard it all the time. We hired someone to try and develop possibilities for young people, even considering building a grafitti wall for the little darlings to spray away on to their hearts' content, so lacking were the facilities in the borough for the 'yoof'. Thankfully it never got built. A basketball court was built though which was promptly wrecked by a bunch of brain donors one night.

The problem, it seems to me, is simply that a lot of people aren't prepared to put in the effort to find anything to do. We live in an instant gratification age, and the thought of having to work for pleasure is increasingly anathema to us. If there's nothing on the telly, and the pc games have all been played, therefore there's nothing to do. How sad is that? By the way, I even include us adults in this to some extent. When was the last time you waited and saved up for something you really wanted? Chances are you just whacked it on your credit card and then set about repaying the balance. I know I've done that pleanty of times. That's why the world owes literally trillions and we're all in the mess we're now in.

In fact there's masses of things that young people could do, if only they were prepared to put in a bit of effort, first to find them, and then to learn how to do them properly. It takes character to try something new for the first time, find you suck at it, and then have another go anyway determined to improve. It might have made us smile when Homer Simpson said "If at first you don't succeed, give up", but too many young people do just that. It's even harder to keep trying different things that it turns out you don't enjoy, but then keep looking anyway.

If there truly were nothing for young people to do, then it follows that no young people would be doing anything. Anywhere. But they clearly are, so it can't be true. Can it.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nothing to do?

Originally Posted by steved44
It makes me tired. Again and again I read posts here and there about there being nothing for young people to do here. It's not a New Zealand problem. I used to hear it for years back in the UK too. In one place I lived I was closely involved in the running of our Community Centre and heard it all the time. We hired someone to try and develop possibilities for young people, even considering building a grafitti wall for the little darlings to spray away on to their hearts' content, so lacking were the facilities in the borough for the 'yoof'. Thankfully it never got built. A basketball court was built though which was promptly wrecked by a bunch of brain donors one night.

The problem, it seems to me, is simply that a lot of people aren't prepared to put in the effort to find anything to do. We live in an instant gratification age, and the thought of having to work for pleasure is increasingly anathema to us. If there's nothing on the telly, and the pc games have all been played, therefore there's nothing to do. How sad is that? By the way, I even include us adults in this to some extent. When was the last time you waited and saved up for something you really wanted? Chances are you just whacked it on your credit card and then set about repaying the balance. I know I've done that pleanty of times. That's why the world owes literally trillions and we're all in the mess we're now in.

In fact there's masses of things that young people could do, if only they were prepared to put in a bit of effort, first to find them, and then to learn how to do them properly. It takes character to try something new for the first time, find you suck at it, and then have another go anyway determined to improve. It might have made us smile when Homer Simpson said "If at first you don't succeed, give up", but too many young people do just that. It's even harder to keep trying different things that it turns out you don't enjoy, but then keep looking anyway.

If there truly were nothing for young people to do, then it follows that no young people would be doing anything. Anywhere. But they clearly are, so it can't be true. Can it.

In the 3.5 years I have been here I have been a whole gumut of different feelings..virtually every one in the book..but bored?? NEVER!!! Too much to do and way too much to adjust too and life (although a tad hampster wheely at times) is very wonderful in the land of few crowds!!!!!!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

I couldnt agree more.

Wherever you are, the problem is that peoples attitudes limit themselves to what is a "good time".

Nowadays the mentality is that unless alcohol or drugs are being consumed at a hefty rate, then its "boring".

These people need to learn how to interact with other people and have a good time, in a social environment rather than an antisocial one

Whilst being a bit tongue in cheek and recognising that not all things will appeal to everybody, why not recognise the opportunities provided by

- sports and training including running, karate, squash,badminton,bowls,cycling
- playing cards
- playing music
- studying (yes actually developing ones skills)
- collecting something
- volunteering and social work
- quizzes
- dramatics
- board games (yes, shock horror, there are actually some good ones)

Im sure people can add a lot more

Over the years Ive done all of these and a lot more. (when I was a teenager as well).

The point is, before someone laughs at some of the suggestions, that in the right group with the right attitude all of these things can be great fun and enrich your social life.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 6:00 am
Banned

M-Squared will become famous soon enough

I've never had a problem finding / making something to do here. I've re-taken up hobbies I had as a child, and have been delighted by that. My child is busier and in more demand socially than I thought possible.

If you have so little imagination you can't amuse yourself, you won't do very well anywhere. But what you will do is blame it on your surroundings... sad!
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Young people have been saying that forever, in all parts of the world. It's just their age!
Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:02 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by whitesand
Young people have been saying that forever, in all parts of the world. It's just their age!
Feel free to send them round to my house with cleaning paraphernalia, I'll find lots for them to do!
Old Oct 10th 2008, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

steved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nicesteved44 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Genesis
In the 3.5 years I have been here I have been a whole gumut of different feelings..virtually every one in the book..but bored?? NEVER!!! Too much to do and way too much to adjust too and life (although a tad hampster wheely at times) is very wonderful in the land of few crowds!!!!!!
Well said. For me, the memories of sitting for hours on the M25, or taking in the sights of Waterloo station in the evening rush hour during a train drivers strike are still way too fresh. The thin-ness of the crowds in Auckland city centre even during "rush" hour is still a breath of fresh air. Literally!

Originally Posted by Browner_
I couldnt agree more.

Wherever you are, the problem is that peoples attitudes limit themselves to what is a "good time".

Nowadays the mentality is that unless alcohol or drugs are being consumed at a hefty rate, then its "boring".

These people need to learn how to interact with other people and have a good time, in a social environment rather than an antisocial one

Whilst being a bit tongue in cheek and recognising that not all things will appeal to everybody, why not recognise the opportunities provided by

- sports and training including running, karate, squash,badminton,bowls,cycling
- playing cards
- playing music
- studying (yes actually developing ones skills)
- collecting something
- volunteering and social work
- quizzes
- dramatics
- board games (yes, shock horror, there are actually some good ones)

Im sure people can add a lot more

Over the years Ive done all of these and a lot more. (when I was a teenager as well).

The point is, before someone laughs at some of the suggestions, that in the right group with the right attitude all of these things can be great fun and enrich your social life.
Thanks Browner. I started a list of possibilities but took it out again. I've tried most of those you list. Some were a success, others weren't, but I was willing to give them a go just to see what they were like. However did we lose that?

Originally Posted by M-Squared
I've never had a problem finding / making something to do here. I've re-taken up hobbies I had as a child, and have been delighted by that. My child is busier and in more demand socially than I thought possible.

If you have so little imagination you can't amuse yourself, you won't do very well anywhere. But what you will do is blame it on your surroundings... sad!
Makes you wonder how we ever built the Empire and ruled half the world, doesn't it.

Originally Posted by whitesand
Really? My recollection from my own childhood is that I used to make my own entertainment. My wife agrees. There were no such things as computers or Ipods, and I can even remember when we didn't have a tv. So my brother and I played with each other and our friends, making up the most fantastic adventures out of almost nothing. Surely I'm not alone in having memories like this?

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Feel free to send them round to my house with cleaning paraphernalia, I'll find lots for them to do!
Well said!
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:23 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Really? My recollection from my own childhood is that I used to make my own entertainment. My wife agrees. There were no such things as computers or Ipods, and I can even remember when we didn't have a tv. So my brother and I played with each other and our friends, making up the most fantastic adventures out of almost nothing. Surely I'm not alone in having memories like this?
You're not alone! I've said many times to friends that I am so happy that I grew up in a time when there were no nintendos or computers or ipods or even videos when I was wee. We made our own games up, went out on our bikes, played hide and seek and various other games ( that normally ended up in a fight!) went camping with dad in an old green tent and cooked disgusting sausages on a fire and were home in time for tea! Played sports competitions down at the beach, went hill walking, and just plain old used our imaginations and made games up. A treat in the summer holidays was to go to the shop and get an ice cream I'm sure I probably did say I was bored at some stage, but I don't remember feeling it, summers were long and the sun shone every day hahaha!
Seriously though, thank god for the 70's
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Hi Pixi-dust.

Green tent? Luxury! The tent my brother and I played in was my mum's clothes airer with my dad's RAF greatcoat draped over it.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:46 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steved44
Hi Pixi-dust.

Green tent? Luxury! The tent my brother and I played in was my mum's clothes airer with my dad's RAF greatcoat draped over it.
The green one was my dad's 20 year old scout tent! :
Old Oct 10th 2008, 8:04 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one! I'm never bored either I think a lot of kids don't try things now because it's considered in some stupid PC way to be 'bad' for them if they're not instant successes.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Batty
Nice one! I'm never bored either I think a lot of kids don't try things now because it's considered in some stupid PC way to be 'bad' for them if they're not instant successes.
Don't even get me started on the "psychological damage" that can be done by not winning. That's why we no longer have team sports at school. Like I said above, how in God's name did we ever run an Empire? But that's for another thread entirely. Have a good day.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

There was a sign on the wall at one of my kids' school (not NZ) the gist of which was 'an educated person is never bored' and I have to agree with that....because you can always pick up a good book or go for a walk etc etc plus all the other things which have been suggested....or even surf the internet....

Whilst I agree it is true kids have always said this about everywhere - I do think we had much more justification - who remembers boring Sundays when ALL the shops and most of the restaurants were closed? (Family time argument aside by the way)...oh I remember we had to play Board Games which my OH calls 'Bored Games' and go out on our bikes.

Last edited by luvwelly; Oct 14th 2008 at 12:24 am.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 2:00 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking as a 28 year old with no kids who can't remember not having a dishwasher, tv, video or actually even a CD player (so keep that in mind)...

Our neighbours children are frequently outside playing. Often playing similar games to the ones i played as a kid and also that of my parents even. Climbing trees, driveway soccer, road cricket etc.

Apart from road cricket (where you play on a quiet road and a lookout yells "CAR" at the right times!) which i can understand as there are certainly more cars on the road, what has changed? Well, my opinion (again as a 28 year old princess who doesn't know anything) is that those kids aren't always allowed to do those things, or, even the parents are being encouraged to fill the kids time, rather than allow the child to fill it.

For instance, my neighbour was commenting to me that a mother at her daughters school commented on the fact her daughter didn't do many activities (i think she played soccer and went to Ballet, maybe gymnastics as well). The schoolmum filled their childs time up. My neighbour let her kids play.

Not saying it is the case with everything but it was quite a contrast. Her oldest one is 15 now and is involved with a shedload of sport and activities but he chose to do them. He wasn't forced into it - if it is Monday it must be Piano, Tuesday it must be Cricket etc.

I dunno, i just wonder if some children and parents expect kids to be doing something without giving them the time to simply come up with the 'something' on their own.

Now, however, i wouldn't mind it if my mother drove me around to each of my activities. It would be quite nice ringing and saying "mum, can ya pick me up I am done at the pub" but I don't think she would appreciate it.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 2:03 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that made me feel like a grumpy old maid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.